xs500 speedo

Jordan Mohawk Missiaen
This post is 5133 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Everyone,

I have a '76 xs500c and I want to replace the gauges, but my problem is, no one seems to have a listing for what will work on my bike. I am wondering if there is someone who knows the correct ratio speedo to get, and also if any mechanical tach will work, or if it has to be a certain ratio or something. at first I was going to replace the faces on the stock gauges, but I couldnt find anyone who sold them, so I made my own with photoshop, but I can't find anyone to print them on matte uv resistant vinyl.

Any help would be awesome.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Unable to find any specs on the stock gauges i just assumed that the ones on mikesXS would work, we'll find out if that is correct this spring. Be warned that the ones on mikesXS are significantly smaller in diameter than stock.

Unable to find any specs on the stock gauges i just assumed that the ones on mikesXS would work, we'll find out if that is correct this spring. Be warned that the ones on mikesXS are significantly smaller in diameter than stock.

anygague from a xs650 will work i have done this with my xs500c and has been speed tested with gps. also have fun pulling them apart as they are a sealed unit you need to pry them very slowly like a tin can.

use ebay and mix n match componants.

good luck mate.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually ended up making new gauge faces on photoshop, and printing them on UV resistant matte photo paper. And it was somewhat of a challenge to get the gauges apart, but they look way better now. I'll post pictures when I get the front end done...just waiting for the new steering bearings to come in...