Xs400 Exhaust Help

Ravensia
This post is 5075 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Don't mind at all we are all trying to learn.

And I have another good question, Can you paint chrome or do you need to knock it off to bare metal?

Sure you can. You'll have to sand it down really well or etch it with acid and then apply an epoxy primer. be sure to degrease really well first.

It might just be easier to get the chrome off though...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sure you can. You'll have to sand it down really well or etch it with acid and then apply an epoxy primer. be sure to degrease really well first.

It might just be easier to get the chrome off though...

Thanks.=]

Do you have any pictures of your 81?

list of mods maybe Haha I'd like to get some ideas, anything.

Another question, Any way to get dual disk up front? Mines only single.

And what about disk brakes in the back?

Thanks.=]

Do you have any pictures of your 81?

list of mods maybe Haha I'd like to get some ideas, anything.

Another question, Any way to get dual disk up front? Mines only single.

And what about disk brakes in the back?

Where to start with mods... haha...

complete xs850 front end (where I got dual disks)

xs850 tank

tapered roller bearings in steering head

bronze swingarm bushings

raask rear sets

fiberglass tail

2 into 1 exhaust

pod filters

oversized rear shocks

39 tooth rear sprocket

clubman bars

painted crankcase (soon to be unpainted)

crappy diamond plate side covers (stock back on now)

rear mc and disk from ??? ('78 xs400, I believe)

many more small details

This is how the bike looked last summer; like crap. It looks quite different now, but I don't have any current pics, and it will look even more different once it gets painted in a couple weeks. I will post new pics then...

72311007997232742531000.jpg

xs850 tank

bronze swingarm bushings

raask rear sets

fiberglass tail

2 into 1 exhaust

pod filters

oversized rear shocks

39 tooth rear sprocket

clubman bars

many more small details

This is how the bike looked last summer; like crap. It looks quite different now, but I don't have any current pics, and it will look even more different once it gets painted in a couple weeks. I will post new pics then...

Nice, How'd you mount your tag?

What about blinkers one the back?

I appreciate all the help.

xs850 tank

bronze swingarm bushings

raask rear sets

fiberglass tail

2 into 1 exhaust

pod filters

oversized rear shocks

39 tooth rear sprocket

clubman bars

many more small details

I really like the styling of your bike. Did you keep the stock battery box? I'm trying to figure out where to mount mine because I'm going with the open skeletal look and looking at the picture of the cafe that Drewpy sent I'm at a loss to where they hide/mount it. What is the length and brand of rear shocks your using? And is that a custom seat or a reworked of the shelf cafe seat?

Nice, How'd you mount your tag?

What about blinkers one the back?

I appreciate all the help.

Just a simple right-angle bracket bolted to the top brake shoe mount. I'm working on a better solution now. That pic was before I had turn signals on.

I really like the styling of your bike. Did you keep the stock battery box? I'm trying to figure out where to mount mine because I'm going with the open skeletal look and looking at the picture of the cafe that Drewpy sent I'm at a loss to where they hide/mount it. What is the length and brand of rear shocks your using? And is that a custom seat or a reworked of the shelf cafe seat?

When I bought it, there was a cheesy piece of aluminum holding the battery. I removed that, fitted the stock battery box, and put on stock side covers. If you made your own tail, you could hide your battery in it, provided it's a sealed battery. (mikesXS sells em)

The shocks that were on it when I bought it were no-name shocks and very oversized. (14.5") They started leaking so I threw a pair of red wings on until I can find a reasonably priced pair of hagons. Kept the 14.5" length to ensure clearance of the tail since it ends at the highest point of the tire.

Because of the fiberglass tail, the seat had to be customized. Fiberglass seat pan that I had upholstered.

xs400 cafe

f11773589t511451p7558434n1.png

Here's the million dollar question. WHERE'S THE BATTERY?!?!?!?! Where'd it go? Not to mention the electronics.

I studied the pic a little closer and saw the battery box built into the the bottom of the seat pan. Electrics are probable mounted underneath also.

• 2 weeks later...

:welcome: jeremy

there is an baffle insert you can put inside the downpipes ( headers)

063003shortbaffle.jpg

Sorry to switch gears but i have been looking everywhere for these inserts and i cant find them anywhere, i was hoping you could point me in the right direction.

Sorry to switch gears but i have been looking everywhere for these inserts and i cant find them anywhere, i was hoping you could point me in the right direction.

http://www.custom-fasteners.co.uk

ebay etc

• 2 months later...

cafe racer is from the UK perchant in the 60's to ride bikes fast (100mph) most guys hung out at cafes which were along the main roads where they raced!

xs400 cafe

f11773589t511451p7558434n1.png

Bobbers were from the US where the GI's back from the war "Bobbed" their bikes by shorteneing the rear fenders and lightening the look of the 50's machines, then there's "brat style" which is Japanese which is a mix of street tracker and bobber

efee0626.jpg

Is there any info you can give me about the bike pictured? I really like this one and have not come across this one in 2 years of research.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online