yamaha newbie

eggar
This post is 4664 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,after riding a friends xvs 1300, i've decided to trade in my harley for a new xvs 1300, hope to be picking it up within 2 weeks. i couldn't believe how good the yamaha felt and rode compared to my harley,it was like going from a tractor to a rolls! any how, what i want to know is, are there any quirky little issues with the xvs 1300 i need to know about (all bikes have them in different forms) any input would be great to ensure i know what to expect and that i don't pester the dealer with silly things, sorry for rambling on, safe riding all

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

. i couldn't believe how good the yamaha felt and rode compared to my harley,it was like going from a tractor to a rolls!

Welcome Eggar" glad you"ve seen the light ,,,, i"v always thot harley sound like them traction 8 stroke engines .laugh.gifhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OulOUPg7-8&feature=related

Hi,

I bought my XVS 1300 last August. Put 1200 miles on it before winter set in (roll on Spring...)

Overall I love the bike + couldn't be happier with it. Don't let this put you off as it's an absolutely fantastic bike, but these all all issues I'm aware of:

Many people change the handle bars to one's that come further back as they can become uncomfortable after a while riding (this is height specific + many find them ok, but I'm 5'11" + just changed mine..)

Some people find that it 'surges' at low speeds but you can slip the clutch to combat this or buy (or make) Jack's O2 mod which helps eleviate this.

There have been reports of front end clunk (which I haven't noticed) but many have + they've fixed by installing progressive springs / heavier front fork oil.

I'm thinking of lowering the rear slightly on mine as although I can reach the floor ok, it sometimes feels when the missus on the back that I'm slightly too high when needing to support the bike.

One final thing, I've not done this but many have is they drill their stock exhaust to get more grunt (like a Harley), but many also end up changing their exhaust, air filter and fuel management system to get more grunt + HPs - guess that's a personal choice.

Oh before I forget, the 2010 model has come out in the US which has a new handle bar, chromed headlight + a slightly 'lower' seat - not sure if its coming to the UK but worth asking...

If you've got anymore queries feel free to ask + I'm sure others will also chip in (or PM me if you want more of a chat etc)

hi eggar, i dont think you'll regret changing from harley to midnight star, a friend of mine has a heritage softtail classic, my cousin has a road king, and after seeing and riding my '08' xvs1300 they realise just how much they've paid for the "badge".

Clarkegray has covered most points, although i personally find the stock bars fine (for me).

As clarke gray says, possibly the worst thing about the "stock" bike is the surging at 30 mph (it's easily overcome), and because of that you cannot hold 30mph in 3rd gear as its "surging" because its running so weak for euro 3 emissions ... you end up riding in 2nd gear in 30 mph speed limits so that the bike's smoother, jack's 02 mod is the cheapest option to eradicate this.... However, i have some "cobra speedster shorts" and "cobra fuel processor" on order (ready for summer)...thats how i intend to eradicate mine , not only that.... but the stock bikes oh soooooo quite.

There is an issue with front fork "clonk", its a funny one, mine does it, but not on potholes as you'd expect, mine seems to only do it on the slightest of humps and not always at that.... i've heard that some bikes have been found to have stipped steering stem nuts, i did take mine back to the supplying dealer and was told it was "just the bushing" and it's nothing to worry about.

These are the points i've found with my bike, and they echo clarkegray's opinion...so i'd say there pretty accurate....you may like the bars, and may i say, after riding a harley, you may not notice the surging or the slight clonk from the forks...the bike is THAT good. I got mine last june, and i still believe "pound for pound" its the best middleweight cruiser out there....by far, i'm very happy.

Hi, thanks for the replies, if that's all i have to worry about so far, i can put up with them, afterall no bikes perfect, must check out the forum on this o2 conversion though and i'm sure i will have other questions once i start riding it, cheers all

Jack's O2 Mod can only be bought (new) in the UK/Europe from Alchemy bikes as Jack agreed a deal with them. If you buy from them it's £70 + postage (if you call they might do it slightly cheaper?).

If you don't want to shell out £70 + you're good with a soldering iron, Jack was kind enough to post a guide on how to make your own here: http://vstar1300.pbworks.com/Jack%27s+O2+Mod

As said above the bike is brilliant + am sure you'll love it :) (Post pics when you get it)

"Personally i dont like harleys. i ride them cause i am in the club and and that is the image, but if i could, i would seriously consider riding a HONDA ST1100 or a bmw. we really missed the boat not switching over to the japanese models when they began building bigger bikes"

Sonny Barger.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, i've had the bike a week now and done about 200 miles on it and i am over the moon with it, what a joy to ride, the only issue i had with it was a delay in the throttle which was easily cured by taking all the free play out of the cable. by the way i'm only 5ft 5ins and have no problem with reach on the controls, should have bought one years ago, safe riding all.....

Glad you're enjoying it. Post some pics of your bike when you get chance...

Happy riding :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, i've done a 1000 miles already and alls good except for one thing. The gear change is a lot clunkier than i thought it would be to the extent that when i put it into 1st gear from neutral when cold the whole bike shudders. when i took it into the dealers for it's 1st service they said this was normal because of the constant mesh gearbox and i should hold the clutch leaver in for 30 secs before i select 1st gear, this does help but is this normal as they say. any thoughts appreciated, ta!

when i put it into 1st gear from neutral when cold the whole bike shudders

My 650 Drag does the same so it may be a 'feature'

my bike also clonks into first, ive had honda's that do that, i had a blade that made me shudder changing from first to second gear.

going back to the xvs1300a, i reckon its partly due to the straight cut gears employed, to lessen mine (and my drive slopes to the road) i engage first gear with the bike just moving forward slightly, seems to be a bit kinder to it then, generally i think the gearchange is clunky...after 2,500 miles mine has definetly got 'easier'... and i wear grinders with steel toe caps, the gearbox wont argue with them... ;)

But otherwise, i'm glad you like the bike eggar...incidentally, what harley were you riding previously ?. i previously mentioned i have friends/family with harley's, this bike is equally as good...if not better, but in a different kind of way (if that makes sense) :D

• 1 year later...

Hi All, I've had my XVS1300 for about a month now and I also love it!

I do find all the issues mentioned here on my bike! The clunk from the front suspension is the biggest issue, I would like to cure that one!

As for the o2 eliminators they are on Ebay now for £15!

Try here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Oxygen-o2-sensor-eliminator-Yamaha-Midnight-Star-1300-/260667189701?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cb0f9a9c5

Does anybody have any experience of de-baffling the stock exhaust? I have purchased a new one that was on Ebay so, I get to keep the original and play with the other one!

Also how much stress is it to change the handlebars?

Keep safe!

Regards

Graham

Hi Graham,

Look here for guides for drilling out the stock exhaust and swapping the handlebars. http://1300tourer.com/content/how-section They are both easy to do. The clunk has been fixed by some adding 20w oil to the forks as opposed to the standard 10w. There's also a suggestion to add +2oz oil to what yammy installs as standard. Others swap the springs to progressive springs.

Good luck

Graham

Hi All, I've had my XVS1300 for about a month now and I also love it!

I do find all the issues mentioned here on my bike! The clunk from the front suspension is the biggest issue, I would like to cure that one!

As for the o2 eliminators they are on Ebay now for £15!

Try here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Oxygen-o2-sensor-eliminator-Yamaha-Midnight-Star-1300-/260667189701?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cb0f9a9c5

Does anybody have any experience of de-baffling the stock exhaust? I have purchased a new one that was on Ebay so, I get to keep the original and play with the other one!

Also how much stress is it to change the handlebars?

Keep safe!

Regards

Graham