cbt restriction confusion

Paulwhite
This post is 5141 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi im confused about the restriction of the c.b.t dus it restrict me to 125cc or is it under 33bhp? (e.g a 170cc 22bhp engine.)

im building a custom chopper but want to be able to ride it on a cbt till i can afford to take the direct access course.

cheers .Paul.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

And you must display L-Plates, you cannot use a motorway and you cannot carry a pillion passenger (think that sums it up).

Oh, unless you're 16 in which case I think it's 50cc restriction and 125cc at 17?

The 33bhp restriction applies to the A1 license which you get when you pass your test on a 125cc.

Guest MaD.VeZ

And you must display L-Plates, you cannot use a motorway and you cannot carry a pillion passenger (think that sums it up).

Oh, unless you're 16 in which case I think it's 50cc restriction and 125cc at 17?

The 33bhp restriction applies to the A1 license which you get when you pass your test on a 125cc.

Its a 30 mph restriction for 16 y/o's, not sure about the cc though.

Its a 30 mph restriction for 16 y/o's, not sure about the cc though.

At 16 it's category P = moped (which you need a CBT for). Category P = 50cc and 50kph (31mph) restriction. Then when you hit 17 you derestrict your 50cc to go 45mph or put a 70cc bore kit on for 60mph, then you watch your insurance go through the roof...!

Or you buy a 125cc & get practicing for you test before your CBT runs out (unless your lazy like me and redo your CBT again before doing your test) :)

nah age isn't a problem I'm 22 lol the problem is me xvs 125 dragstars engine blew so I'm gonna rebuild it street fighter stile with a 125 pit bike engine but have a 140cc 19bhp conversion kit on standby for when iv passed me test.

might have to post some pics when its done

Guest MaD.VeZ

nah age isn't a problem I'm 22 lol the problem is me xvs 125 dragstars engine blew so I'm gonna rebuild it street fighter stile with a 125 pit bike engine but have a 140cc 19bhp conversion kit on standby for when iv passed me test.

might have to post some pics when its done

Pics would be sweet, sounds like a nice project.

Vez.

should be good when its done just got to figure out how im going to make the writing on the tank light up

thaught somethin like glow in the dark alian writing on a black gloss tank but i want to light it up with led's. just got to figure out how im gonna do it. looking like im going to have to go down the fibre optic route.

Guest MaD.VeZ

should be good when its done just got to figure out how im going to make the writing on the tank light up

thaught somethin like glow in the dark alian writing on a black gloss tank but i want to light it up with led's. just got to figure out how im gonna do it. looking like im going to have to go down the fibre optic route.

Can you not use something like LED rope lights? http://directlight.co.uk/24v_dc_ip68_round_single_colour_flexible_led_strip_light2_white, use them for pc mods and you can get them in 12v. fiber optic sounds expensive.

the smallest iv found is 3mm which is way too big cause its going to be small long lines of writing going all over the tank.

thaught of doin somethin like coat the tank in a thick layer of clear drying glue then paint black what i dont want to glow then put some led's under the tank . but dont think itl refract the way i want it to . but its easy to do with glow in the dark paint but that seems a bit cheesey to me lol.

Guest MaD.VeZ

Can you not use some kind of UV paint that glows when a light is directed at it(light a white shirt does under UV lights, and then position some UV LEDs to point at it?  Just a crazy thought.

Vez.

could b cool but id have to put the led's on the outside of the tank and im wanting them to b invisable so to say

Yeah all your info is there now :)

16 years of age is a 50cc ped/bike

17 years of age is 125cc (14.5bhp) ped/bike

under 21 with full licence is 33bhp for 2 years or until age of 21

over 21 with full licence is full power baby!

my 2 years have just come to an end! YAY! :D get all your tests done ASAP! im 20 with full licence now :) and car too!

get all your tests done ASAP! im 20 with full licence now :) and car too!

Especially before the new 3rd Driving Licence Directive comes in - new test will be (as I was told)

"Basically the idea behind 3DLD is to restrict young rider’s access to the most powerful bikes. It will introduce a new category of licence, A2, which will sit between A1 and A.

A1 machines will be 125cc and under, A2 will be equivalent to 33 bhp / 400cc type machines, and A will remain the unrestricted category. Riders who start riding A1 machines at 17 will have to have at least 2 years worth of experience before they can complete a test and gain access to A2 machines. They will then require a further 2 years experience (minimum) on those machines before they can do another test to gain access to category A machines.

The alternative is for young people to wait until they’re 19 and do ‘direct access’ to category A2, or wait until they’re 24 and do direct access to category A machines (3DLD raises the age of direct access from 21 to 24)."

boo to that idea! think its crazy that someone at 17 can get somethin like a 1.8 twin turbo audi a4 car but cant get any bike over 125cc!!!!! surely a twit on a bike is going to cause less problems than a twit in a car?

boo to that idea! think its crazy that someone at 17 can get somethin like a 1.8 twin turbo audi a4 car but cant get any bike over 125cc!!!!! surely a twit on a bike is going to cause less problems than a twit in a car?

not true im 17 and have a sv650 and have had a mt-03 660cc just take you full test and they "restrict" you to 33bhp (still good for over a tone and pull to 60mph faster than most cars)

i have 1 year to go and my restriction is off :D

PS the restriction is stupid as a r6 restricted is still faster than my sv650 unrestricted ......

Man, Barwell time flies with the restrictors on. You will have a HUGE smile on your last day :D Its like your riding a new bike.

And funny about the R6 with restrictors, I wouldnt have minded one myself but bit too expensive and out my price range. I will upload a picture of my bike and the £300 restrictors that were inside.... my face dropped when I saw them! such a rip off!

Lol Paulwhite, I have to agree with you about the car/bike but like barwell said, once you take your test which you should as soon as possible, your options go up :)plus the restricted bikes still pull good, look the part and have a fairly good top end for 33bhp! well I thought that on my FZR600R when that was restricted :)

Richard

Man, Barwell time flies with the restrictors on. You will have a HUGE smile on your last day :D Its like your riding a new bike.

And funny about the R6 with restrictors, I wouldnt have minded one myself but bit too expensive and out my price range. I will upload a picture of my bike and the £300 restrictors that were inside.... my face dropped when I saw them! such a rip off!

Lol Paulwhite, I have to agree with you about the car/bike but like barwell said, once you take your test which you should as soon as possible, your options go up :)plus the restricted bikes still pull good, look the part and have a fairly good top end for 33bhp! well I thought that on my FZR600R when that was restricted :)

Richard

yeh it does, and mehh the sv's ok without the restricter (ECU) done a track day with the full power in and even thogh the bikes more than twice the power felt fine

my MT-03 befor was not restricted (naughty i know...) but it produced 45bhp and only did 105mph (sv does 115 at 33bhp lol)

but seriously dont bother staying on the cbt just get ure full license and enjoy ohh and my insurance aint to bad at £500 a year tptf legal and personal injury cover with 1years ncb :D

well im not too fussed about me insurance iv got 6 years no claims lol and for a 125 its less than 100 quid for a year! its 3rd party fire and theft but i dont need fully comp if i crash to the point the bike is a write off iv always got me trusty lighter lol. nah im a safe driver i dont take any unnecessary risks got a family to come home to

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online