Saddle bags or rack?

Davie J
This post is 5178 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I've got a Yammy XVS 250 Dragstar (04), I was searching the net for a luggage rack so I could carry my 2 mtr chain around with me which weights 9.78 kilos but to my surprise ALL the racks stated 5 kilo max weight, so after all that searching I've decided it was a waste of time so now I'm thinking along the lines of saddle bags, I don't want to get trapped into bying the bars then find I have to buy there sadlle bags as others wont fit then be charged a fortune, how does it work?

Please don't suggest (as other have) carrying it around my shoulders as at that weight after a while it'll get too heavy & the ride won't be comfy & I consider it too dangerous if you come off.

What stops the saddle bags from swinging out as you turn? Do you have to buy the bars?

Do the bars stop the bags from hitting the wheel & swinging out?

All racks state max load 5 kilos!!! Is this realy true or are they just covering themselves?

Whats the best opion? The rack is £69.50, I guess the frame & saddle bags will be a lot more but if it's worth it I will get them.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, I've got a Yammy XVS 250 Dragstar (04), I was searching the net for a luggage rack so I could carry my 2 mtr chain around with me which weights 9.78 kilos but to my surprise ALL the racks stated 5 kilo max weight, so after all that searching I've decided it was a waste of time so now I'm thinking along the lines of saddle bags, I don't want to get trapped into bying the bars then find I have to buy there sadlle bags as others wont fit then be charged a fortune, how does it work?

Please don't suggest (as other have) carrying it around my shoulders as at that weight after a while it'll get too heavy & the ride won't be comfy & I consider it too dangerous if you come off.

What stops the saddle bags from swinging out as you turn? Do you have to buy the bars?

Do the bars stop the bags from hitting the wheel & swinging out?

All racks state max load 5 kilos!!! Is this realy true or are they just covering themselves?

Whats the best opion? The rack is £69.50, I guess the frame & saddle bags will be a lot more but if it's worth it I will get them.

Thanks

Like you, I bought a (very heavy) chain because thats what the insurance recommendations were. Its far too heavy to cart around in the real world though, so I bought a rubber covered steel wire braid 30mm diameter type, much lighter and easily carryable in saddle bags. The saddle bags are more flexible to use, although more expensive. You need the brackets (bars) as the bags have a sleeve on the inner face which slides over the bars and prevents them from both swinging out and hitting the wheel. The saddle bags will also require a carrier that rests over the top of the mudguard, both bags will then mount on the carrier. I also recommend that if you go the saddle bag route, have the security bars that fit through the mounting eyes, but buy your own (quality)locks to secure them. Price of bags varies steeply, I got my pair for less than £150, complete lot for around £200 - £210 as I recall. Shop around on the net for a good deal. Bags with sloping sides leave clearance around the rear suspension. Search for Held Rancher, and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck.

On my 125 Dragstar I've got Yammie leather saddle bags that bolt to the side of the fender from inside the bike. They've got metal mounts that support them off the frame etc. They don't lock but never keep anything in them really. Never had a known problem with them re security.

I used to carry a big fat chain with me, but now only use a disc lock on the front wheel (with reminder coil that comes off lock + attaches to front brake so you don't ride off by mistake). Much better to carry around + enough to stop someone pushing it off. I know it wouldn't stop someone determined with a van etc, but is enough for most theives + told my insurance I don't use locks & they don't seem to mind (guess they figure a cruiser is low risk of being twocked?)

On my 125 Dragstar I've got Yammie leather saddle bags that bolt to the side of the fender from inside the bike. They've got metal mounts that support them off the frame etc. They don't lock but never keep anything in them really. Never had a known problem with them re security.

I used to carry a big fat chain with me, but now only use a disc lock on the front wheel (with reminder coil that comes off lock + attaches to front brake so you don't ride off by mistake). Much better to carry around + enough to stop someone pushing it off. I know it wouldn't stop someone determined with a van etc, but is enough for most theives + told my insurance I don't use locks & they don't seem to mind (guess they figure a cruiser is low risk of being twocked?)

Thanks you's.

I wouldn't feel happy not having a chain as although I doubt someone would lift it & put it in a van, the chain will still be there for my next bike where there would be more chance of that happening. I assume it would be best to get the supports & bags from the same supplier. I'm tempted to get the rack but worried in case it breaks or the max weight refers to the fender where it bolts onto. I suppose if I get the rack I couldn't carry much more other than putting the chain in a sports bag with my work lunch & a book to read but saddle bags will allow for other things too if/when I need them. Surprised any decent heat resistent cover with port holes for the chain cost from about £45!

A lot of rear luggage carriers (the kind that bolt on to the back of the sissy bar) say max weight 10kgs but loads of people put much more than that on it without problems. I guess the manufacturers put on a max weight to give you an idea not to go mental (+ carry a tv etc on it!). I'm sure they'd take the weight of a chain, sandwich & book.

As for the fender, the fender takes the weight of my other half (on the passenger seat), and whilst she's not a large lady she weighs more than 10kgs!!!

My saddlebags are useful for putting things like gloves/beer/shopping in when I'm on my way home...

If you're buying bags + supports get the same brand as they're bound to be different from each different manufacturer

A lot of rear luggage carriers (the kind that bolt on to the back of the sissy bar) say max weight 10kgs but loads of people put much more than that on it without problems. I guess the manufacturers put on a max weight to give you an idea not to go mental (+ carry a tv etc on it!). I'm sure they'd take the weight of a chain, sandwich & book.

As for the fender, the fender takes the weight of my other half (on the passenger seat), and whilst she's not a large lady she weighs more than 10kgs!!!

My saddlebags are useful for putting things like gloves/beer/shopping in when I'm on my way home...

If you're buying bags + supports get the same brand as they're bound to be different from each different manufacturer

Thanks. All the racks I've seen (without sissy bar) ALL state 5 kilos, not 1 has been as high as 10 kilos, the 1 I'll probably go for is from a company called Ledrie (Dutch), no 1 has mentioned them where ever I ask but they seem ok, I didn't fancy the Renntec as I've seen picks of rust comming through the chrome so it's just as well they don't do a rack for my bike, the other companies I concidered were Hepco & Becker (German) & fehling (German) both, as I understand are top quality so I'm going purley on price even though the Ledrie 1 seems very good & probably as good. Where did you get your saddle bags & supports & how much were they?

You not considered a chain carrier, then?

It's a small zip-up pouch that lashed around your back seat. 2 Quick Release buckles secure/release the bag and teh straps wrap around the underside of your pillion pad.

Here:

Start with these

You not considered a chain carrier, then?

It's a small zip-up pouch that lashed around your back seat. 2 Quick Release buckles secure/release the bag and teh straps wrap around the underside of your pillion pad.

Here:

Start with these

What a good idea! I'm new to biking so I don't know what's on the market, Ill look into them as they are also a possibility & if they prove to be right 4 the situation it will save me money at a time when the chain cost me £175, the cover looks like its going to be £45 then the lessons & test are going to be about £550! Wonder what the max length/size chain those 'poches' can take.

Thanks

You can get different sized bags.

For £175, I'm surprised yours didn't come with one included or that you weren't offered a free one.

Mine came with one and it was less than £100!!!

You can get different sized bags.

For £175, I'm surprised yours didn't come with one included or that you weren't offered a free one.

Mine came with one and it was less than £100!!!

The chain is Almax, don't think they do pouches. I phoned my 1st company on the subject of these pouches & was told it holds upto 1.8 meters, mines 2 meters & the links are the biggest I've seen. I'll try again tomorrow when I have more time. I understand you can take the pouch off the bike & take it with you & you leave the straps on the bike, do the straps ends clip into each other or just dangle? The prices seem to vary a fair bit. When I was in contact with a company that sell Ledrie procucts about the rack they were concerned about me putting a chain weighing nearly double the amount on it but now I know they can take more I phoned to order (just b4 I knew about these pouches), the woman who doesn't realy know what she's doing answered to my disapointment & said they werent sure if they should sell me 1 because of the weight but she'll ask the manager & phone me back even though I told her I wasn't going to put the chain on it (that's what i told her anyway), I told her 'not to do me any favours', she still said they would call back but never did, I've now found a few companies that deal with Ledrie so if/when I do get a rack I'll go to them. Looks like the pouch for now & I suppose that could be strapped to a rack if I had a pillion (although I wouldn't).

Thanks

There will be a pouch that fits a 2m chain - There are ones that fit 3 metres in!!

The straps all have male end QR clips. Therefore, they will not clip into each other.

Typically, to hold the fully laden pouch tight to the back seat, the straps will be adjusted so tight that when the pouch is not clipped on, the clips are flush with the seat. They don't dangle in the slightest.

There will be a pouch that fits a 2m chain - There are ones that fit 3 metres in!!

The straps all have male end QR clips. Therefore, they will not clip into each other.

Typically, to hold the fully laden pouch tight to the back seat, the straps will be adjusted so tight that when the pouch is not clipped on, the clips are flush with the seat. They don't dangle in the slightest.

Jeeeeeezzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!! Does there have to be an obsticle at EVERY turn? I hope there isn't as many in the way when I'm on the road!!! I've rang a few companies about the pouch & the one's that do know state there's won't take a 2 metre chain with 16mm links & many others don't know, M & P don't know at all!!! They don't know anything about there own products, it was the same when I asked them questions about motorbike covers. I'm thinking a 3 meter pouch would almost guarantee it would fit, that is if I can track one down!!!!

Thanks for you help/advice.

Take the chain and ride up to the shop with it.

Then try it out in their bags.

Job done.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online