De Restricting my DT125R

Airhead
This post is 3837 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ok guys , so i am back with some more feedback after derestricting the exhaust and pulling out the reed switch, the result was a litle gain in power after doing the exhaust but after doing the switch i couldn't feel any big diffrence it still doesn't go over 90 km/h and in 6 gear or after i reach abou 85-90 km/h doesn't grow up in rpm, it stops at about 7000rpm and i can fell it can do more but it just won't rev past that. I suspect it may be the powervalve setup but i don't want to mess up with that yet.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I personally have not done it myself. On my RE i followed a guide that was just about earthing a wire to the frame. I'll be having a go at it soon when i put the clocks back on my 1998. Hopefully someone can tell you if you've done it all right.

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys ive jut bought a 1999 dtr its completly standard and untouched,everything seems to be workig as it should,it starts 1st or second kick,it ticks over fine,and revs ok(it spluters abit in high revs)when i ride it its ok untill 6k revs then it just coughs and spluters,it does that in every gear.

ive had 50mph(80km/h)at 6k revs out of it down hill,is that normal?is it because of the restrictions that its so slow?

ive just taken the reed switch out of the speedo.it revs up a little better in nutral and it now goes to just over 6k revs when im rideing it.

hi guys ive jut bought a 1999 dtr its completly standard and untouched,everything seems to be workig as it should,it starts 1st or second kick,it ticks over fine,and revs ok(it spluters abit in high revs)when i ride it its ok untill 6k revs then it just coughs and spluters,it does that in every gear.

ive had 50mph(80km/h)at 6k revs out of it down hill,is that normal?is it because of the restrictions that its so slow?

ive just taken the reed switch out of the speedo.it revs up a little better in nutral and it now goes to just over 6k revs when im rideing it.

yep it sounds fully restricted to me Steve

ok thanks m8 ,the exhaused and powervalve hav,nt been touched,i was worried the bike was on its way out, i bought it 2 days ago stolen recovered no keys or paperwork,it came from a salvage yard,ive ordred a ignition,and im going to send off for the logbook tomorow.it all looks in good condition,im going to put it in for its mot when the igniion turns up next week,

its my 1st dtr and i just didnt want to spend money on it if its on its way out,

my bike was a little better when i pulled the reed switch out of the speedo this morning,and taped it up...

.ive just cut the wires to the reed switch and its even better,its still coughing and spluttering but ive just got it to redline at 65mph down hill so we are getting sumwhere!!!!! im thinking the spluttering could be the standard exhaust,powervalve or the carb?as the bike has been sitting for a while(like i said before its perfect up untill 6k revs,its even getting there quicker)in neutral it revs alot better aswell..

should i keep you posted or are you finnished with this thread?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello in need of help i recently bought a 2000 model dt125 r and it goes 60 mph flat out so i went to to the trick behind the speedo and realised it has allready been taken out so someone before me didnt just disconnect it they actually remove it what does this mean it is restricted still or derestricted ?

Hello in need of help i recently bought a 2000 model dt125 r and it goes 60 mph flat out so i went to to the trick behind the speedo and realised it has allready been taken out so someone before me didnt just disconnect it they actually remove it what does this mean it is restricted still or derestricted ?

If you'd bothered to read this thread you would have realised that there are a number of restrictions on the bike. The thread is quite detailed and has all the info you need. A number of people have put the effort into writing it, at least read it before asking for help.

• 3 weeks later...

brilliant thread!

i just bought a 2003 dt125r and bike wont go past 8000rpm and splutters, gonna check the power valve setting and also the reed switch!!!

got a full dep exhaust and bike is in very good order with correct jetting etc!

ill follow the steps on here and ill post back on my findings :)

cheers

ken

works a treat!!

bike pulls up to the red line, setup the powervalve with exhaust off and pulled the limter out of the clock taped it up and off i went!

very good thread, possibly the most helpfull thread for me.

cheers people

ken

• 1 month later...

my dt125 r is running to the redline following all these steps so im happy however i would like to point out that people should also check the sprocket ratios on there bike.

mine pulls away like an animal but tops out at 60mph at the redline so im looking at a new sprocket set (original sizes)

cheers

ken

• 2 weeks later...

just bought a new 3mb head off fleebay, detonation surface is perfect and smooth no chips or anything just covered in black so i done the old cola trick!!

left it in a dish and covered in coca cola and wiped off the black with little effort-some complete tool has painted the top of it red which i couldnt see until the cola had taken off the dirt why would someone want to paint there engine bright red????.....

any ideas on how to get it off??

hows the head performing on yours airhead?

ive also bought a newly lined cylinder and piston/gasket kit so its gonna be fresh as a daisy :)

cheers

ken

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online