Brake pad recomendations

Prodigy
This post is 5195 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks,

I've been a biker for a year now and just now I need to get some new front pads for my '96 YZF600R Thundercat. I've been looking at Ferodo or EBC HH rated pads, can people please give me their opinions on brake pads, be it these or some others!

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi folks,

I've been a biker for a year now and just now I need to get some new front pads for my '96 YZF600R Thundercat. I've been looking at Ferodo or EBC HH rated pads, can people please give me their opinions on brake pads, be it these or some others!

Thanks

Hi, don't get drawn into the hype surrounding the latest super race spec fango track pads. They never work on the road as they are designed to work hot. Standard OE or the HH pads are fine for most of us normal mortals. In my experience anyway.

Hi, don't get drawn into the hype surrounding the latest super race spec fango track pads. They never work on the road as they are designed to work hot. Standard OE or the HH pads are fine for most of us normal mortals. In my experience anyway.

I was hoping for some recommended manufacturers that stop well, dont disintegrate etc etc. Cheers

I was hoping for some recommended manufacturers that stop well, dont disintegrate etc etc. Cheers

jesus pads disintegrate? well i never heard of it ever happen,

unless ur a rossi type rider and bike mate there all the same yes even the track/road racers use nothing special that ur local dealer has in stock

That is a bit like the never ending 'which oil' or 'what tyre' question. A lot is down to your personal style and expectations.

Sinterd pads stop a bit better but wear out the disk faster. Some pads have more groves for better wet stopping but can get hot. Its never ending. In truth its how you maintain the calipers and fluid that has the greatest effect on the stopping power.

Personaly i have never heard of a set of pads disintergrating in normal use.

My own bike? Straight up off the shelf regular EBC pads.

That is a bit like the never ending 'which oil' or 'what tyre' question. A lot is down to your personal style and expectations.

Sinterd pads stop a bit better but wear out the disk faster. Some pads have more groves for better wet stopping but can get hot. Its never ending. In truth its how you maintain the calipers and fluid that has the greatest effect on the stopping power.

My own bike? Straight up off the shelf regular EBC pads.

OK, perhaps disintegrate was the wrong term, I was looking for something that I dont have to replace too soon after install.

Anyone got any experience of the cheaper makes? Armstrong, goldfren etc?

OK, perhaps disintegrate was the wrong term, I was looking for something that I dont have to replace too soon after install.

Anyone got any experience of the cheaper makes? Armstrong, goldfren etc?

for me about 15 quid isnt bad to stop ya on 600 fairly quick with the front brake,any cheaper and you should be makin the things urself,im baffled :huh:

for me about 15 quid isnt bad to stop ya on 600 fairly quick with the front brake,any cheaper and you should be makin the things urself,im baffled :huh:

Well it seems I can pay anything from £10-£40+ a caliper so that's a £20-£80 job to do the front! I'm a bit skint but I value my life!

What, you pay someone else to change the pads for you?

DIY, mate. Cheap and easy!!

As mentioned, Pads are much of a muchness.

Sintered stop a little better than Organic pads in the dry, but are comparatively crap in the wet.

How you ride and what you ride makes more of a difference.

What, you pay someone else to change the pads for you?

DIY, mate. Cheap and easy!!

As mentioned, Pads are much of a muchness.

Sintered stop a little better than Organic pads in the dry, but are comparatively crap in the wet.

How you ride and what you ride makes more of a difference.

No I do not pay someone to do that pads, that is the range of cost for pads for my 1996 YZF600R Thundercat.

I tend to ride hard and like to stop quickly! I ride in all weathers.

£80 for pads???!!!

Mine were about a tenner a pair, I think.

For all weathers, try organic.

I have used those KYOTO ones from Wemoto seem okl to me and hopefully they are softer than the discs and although need replacing more often will save my discs

Merv

jesus pads disintegrate? well i never heard of it ever happen,

OK, perhaps disintegrate was the wrong term,

Oh I love this.... Perhaps not really something that would happen on a road bike, but take a look at this, the guy rode with his M-X boots on, holding his rear brake on for a few miles .....

Photo1991.jpg

Now, that's propper boke!

I have had pads break up on me, though it's always been due to the ammount of crap, mud and general sh!t I put the bike through - it's a dirtbike thing rather than something you would ever see on the highway...

i use EBC and they are quite good :) but try getting discs that have grooves and drilled holes on it will give you better braking its not jsut the pads that play a big part in braking but the disc aswell if it just has drilled holes it isnt as good as the grooved discs which have drileld holes too.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online