xvs 125 dragstar starting and petrol tank

mcmarvellous
This post is 5210 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

My son's xvs125 2001 model won't start. It has been left idle for 3 weeks during the snow and now won't fire. I have checked the spark and it's good but in doing so I broke the plug top and need to replace it. no problem I thought until I tried to get the tank off!

I can't see how I am to disconnect the speedo to get to the coils to change the spark leads and also, to check if the fuel is getting to the carb in the first place.

The bike has a fuel pump,I guess vacuum operated and I tried the prime setting on the fuel tap, recharged the battery etc but not a cough from the engine. the inlet manifold looks like it could do with replacing as it looks old and cracked but it should still fire, but the tank needs to come off!

I have got the seat off, back tank bolt, the speedo housing all loose but not off. and the tank will move back until the cables etc prevent further movement.

I run british bikes so am used to unreliability, but I have plenty of room around the simple components on my BSA and Norton and good manuals but there doesn't seem to be a Xvs125 manual other than the owners one with the bike.

Ny son saved up for the thing and I bought it, it rode fine on the way home and was fine for a couple of weeks but he is in the post Christmas skint stage and I would like to get it running for him!

And before you all have a go, I have been a multiple Yamaha owner, which is why I went for the Dragstar! Did have a couple of Hardley Ablesons as well so like a cruiser but we won't go there today!

Any ideas out there?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone,

My son's xvs125 2001 model won't start. It has been left idle for 3 weeks during the snow and now won't fire. I have checked the spark and it's good but in doing so I broke the plug top and need to replace it. no problem I thought until I tried to get the tank off!

I can't see how I am to disconnect the speedo to get to the coils to change the spark leads and also, to check if the fuel is getting to the carb in the first place.

The bike has a fuel pump,I guess vacuum operated and I tried the prime setting on the fuel tap, recharged the battery etc but not a cough from the engine. the inlet manifold looks like it could do with replacing as it looks old and cracked but it should still fire, but the tank needs to come off!

I have got the seat off, back tank bolt, the speedo housing all loose but not off. and the tank will move back until the cables etc prevent further movement.

I run british bikes so am used to unreliability, but I have plenty of room around the simple components on my BSA and Norton and good manuals but there doesn't seem to be a Xvs125 manual other than the owners one with the bike.

Ny son saved up for the thing and I bought it, it rode fine on the way home and was fine for a couple of weeks but he is in the post Christmas skint stage and I would like to get it running for him!

And before you all have a go, I have been a multiple Yamaha owner, which is why I went for the Dragstar! Did have a couple of Hardley Ablesons as well so like a cruiser but we won't go there today!

Any ideas out there?

reomve the tank bolt nearest the seat look under the tank probably best using a torch close to were it meets the seat there are 2 bolt/ nuts i cant remember they are either 8 or 10mm when theses are off the tank will move but not come off as it is on a bush close to the front of it wiggle around a bit it will come off

when i got mine off the bush it would lift over a good few inch so i just moved it out of the way i couldnt see how to disconect the speedo cable you dont need to disconnect it but if you do tell me how

i think we undid the two bolts from the airbox too on right hand side under tank

most of the pipes to the carb are on the left it fairly easy with the tank off

you said plug top if you meean the cap on the end of the coil lead no need to replace the coil etc the caps unscrew

Hi mate , to take the tank off fully you have to disconnect the speedo housing completly which is a simple job, the housing has two black push in fasteners at the front , just push the middle bit in with a little screwdriver or something and they will pop out then undo the screw holding the main bit on , then you can lift off the housing to get underneath it , you will see that the speedo cable is just unscrewed from its socket underneath the housing (by this I mean with your thumbs , not a screwdriver ) and there is two electric cables to unclip and the tank breather pipe to pull off , then the tank will be clear to remove.

Hi,

Here's a link to another page that links to the workshop manual:

http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/13057-how-do-i-post-a-workshop-manual/page__hl__%3Cspan%20clas

Good luck with repairs

our 'Yamagod' is THE guy for manuals but i'm pretty sure there's one of those lurking somewhere in my PC, PM me your email and if i can help i will send it you,

cheers for that,

I have had the tank off, I disconnected the speedo cable from teh front wheel to give me a bit of room to get under the speedo housing on hte tank.

Flushed the tank, have now got fuel comming out of both pipes on the petrol tank. Put it all back together and.....nothing.

Must be the carb blocked up or the fuel pump.

If the prime thingy works this would bypass the pump? So I think it must be a blocked carb or the British bikes friend,and electrical problem but I am getting a decent spark.

it's going to the bike shop at this rate as I am not enjoying working on the little thing!

A manual would be good though.

Thanks guys

PRIME should be used if you've refuelled from a very low tank, just come off reserve or the bike has been stood for a while.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online