Washing a bike

YAMAHA MAN
This post is 5219 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

dont use a pressure washer use a normal hose

my advice is hose the bike down 1st

then apply cold soapy water to the body work and wheels and etc

then hose the bike down again and use a damp leather cloth to dry the body of the bike

and to get a shiny finish to the bike use auto glym products to give the shine job done

detialing guide below

Detailing Motorcycles

Part 1:

The first step to detailing your chopper is to get it ready. This means that you will want to get it off the ground if possible. This allows for better detailing of the wheels. If you are using a bike lift, you may want to enlist the help of a second person as one can lift and one can steady the bike at the same time. If you do not have a lift, that's okay- you can still give your bike a good detail.

Detailing Motorcycles Part 2:

Next, you will want to remove parts that will just get in the way- windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags, side panels and any other accessory that prevents you from access to the main components you will want to be detailing.

Detailing Motorcycles Part 3:

Before you start the actual detailing, you will want to divide your chopper into sections. This will allow you to concentrate on a small portion of the bike at a time so that you are able to pay attention to detail. An easy way to do this is make a left and right side, then divide the bike into three: Front- front wheel, fender and fork; Middle- gas tank, engine, exhaust and seat and Rear- rear wheel, fender and suspension. So, in all, there will be six sections. You will work on each section separately, rinsing after each one. It is crucial not to let anything dry on the bike if you want that killer shine!

Detailing Motorcycles Part 4:

Now you are ready to go! You can start with the wheels. Choose a side to start with and work your way around the bike on each of the sections you set up in the beginning, rinsing after each one. You can start by spraying a tire cleaner on the tire and wheel. While that is soaking, you can scrub the sidewalls. Then, you can clean off the tire and wheel and clean the openings in the wheel. Repeat this process on the right side of the front tire, and then the right and left side of the rear tire.

Detailing Motorcycles Part 5:

After all the tires and wheels are clean, they can be polished one step further, by using a polishing soap on the aluminum or chrome. As you are scrubbing the wheels, you could also clean the brakes.

To clean the center section, spray the engine, battery, pipes and frame with the a degreaser or even a tire cleaner as well, and after it soaks for a few minutes, clean it with a detail brush. Get in every nook and cranny! Then, rinse very well. Do this same process on the rear section of the bike as well.

After the bike is scrubbed and rinsed, you can polish any and all of the chrome that your chopper boasts- even remove the license plate to polish the plate frame!

Detailing Motorcycles Part 6:

At this point, the bike is scrubbed and brightened up. The next step is to clean the body. You can just use a good soap and water from a bucket and wash with a soft cloth. Afterwards, make sure you give it a good rinse, perhaps using a special nozzle on your garden hose. You can also spray down the parts you removed before you get ready to put them back on your bike.

Finally, your bike should be dried off. As an optional step, you can add some final touches like wax, lacquer on your tire walls, tire shine, chrome polishers and other products that will make your chopper stand out from the rest. Also, here is a good article on cleaning your chopper motorcycle before you go about detaling motorcycles.

taken from - http://www.custom-choppers-guide.com/detailing-motorcycles.html

Just wash it

fur fuxache :mellow:

What he said - cos if you follow the previous it'll take you a fookin month!

Or paint it matt black....... :D

when you've got your bike looking the 'Dawgz danglies', admire your proficient effort, and drink in the envy of others

DSC03798.jpg

putting your ride back together after a casual wash,,

PART 1 :o

take bolt A1 (part number -BE 34122200000065) and locate in the chamioux leather mop jig (part number CLMJ 41000000c897)

follow steps 1-814, hey presto :P

It rains here several times a month; coffee can over filler cap to keep water out of gas, wipe seat off before you get back on it. Same thing for mountain bikes ..

ordinary hose let it dry spray everything with wd40 except brakes next time gunk then hose spray with wd 40 again

ride the bloody thing not like these sunday riders i see around here, go out on sunday ape Rossi or whoever is the flavour of the month hanging off the seat trying to get your knee down on a roundabout, then spend the rest of ya spare time removing every nut and polishing it ready for next sunday,then look at weather forecast if it saying anything about rain in the next 10 milleniums do not take the bike out, FFs ride it it is what it was made for

merv

With all the salt on the roads at the moment you may want to give it a quick hose down (normal hose) after each ride to get the excess salt off.

Otherwise, like said above hose, bucket of soapy water, rinse, dry, (polish if you want), oil chain, wd40 switches & you're off...

ordinary hose let it dry spray everything with wd40 except brakes next time gunk then hose spray with wd 40 again

ride the bloody thing not like these sunday riders i see around here, go out on sunday ape Rossi or whoever is the flavour of the month hanging off the seat trying to get your knee down on a roundabout, then spend the rest of ya spare time removing every nut and polishing it ready for next sunday,then look at weather forecast if it saying anything about rain in the next 10 milleniums do not take the bike out, FFs ride it it is what it was made for

merv

:o What and make my ZX6R dirty!!!! AND put milage on it!!!! :o:D ... god forbid.

wait till my XS400 finished :) then i`ll be out there..... in all weathers... falling off and bending it :) in all seriousness, with idiot car drivers, and spilt diesel it`s bad enough but add snow & ice to that and i think i will hide under my duvet :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online