yb 100 HELP

link_06
This post is 5196 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone, iv just been given my first bike which is an old 1983 yb 100. the bike has been stood since 1994. i dont have much of an idea to what im doing ive readed the haynes manual about 4 times. (just to get to kno the bike) i have a new battery, topped up both oils filled with fuel and change the spark plug. but when i try to kick start it i get a feew bubble like noises and thats it (it dosent start). any ideas please on how to start the bike? and info on other problems i might come across very welcome.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

always best to do a search

someone else is doing exactly the same as you, so why not PM him

thread here

I'm still waiting to get my hand on a truck to bring the bike back to my place as it's about 100 miles away atm but please keep us posted on how you get on because mines practically the same by the sound of it!

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys,

ok ive got the bike running. but still it dosent quite sound right. sounds like its running on full choke and i keep gettin a load of cloking noises. i have on oreder (from ebay) a new set of mud guards, a new down pipe, a new silencer, two new wheels and a few other bits.

if anyone has any idea about tuneing the bike so its not running on choke and how to stop the cloking please let me kno.

*ps ripley in derbyshire.

hi guys,

ok ive got the bike running. but still it dosent quite sound right. sounds like its running on full choke and i keep gettin a load of cloking noises. i have on oreder (from ebay) a new set of mud guards, a new down pipe, a new silencer, two new wheels and a few other bits.

if anyone has any idea about tuneing the bike so its not running on choke and how to stop the cloking please let me kno.

*ps ripley in derbyshire.

I would start with removing and de-coking the silencer baffle. Also try turning the fuel tap to off if it has an off position, see if it improves after a short while when the fuel level drops in the carb.

Be more specific about where the "clonking noise" is coming from?? is it from the gearbox? or the barrel/piston area?.

does it disappear as and when you rev the engine? or does it get worse?

Be more specific about where the "clonking noise" is coming from?? is it from the gearbox? or the barrel/piston area?.

does it disappear as and when you rev the engine? or does it get worse?

its coming from the piston area and when i rev the engine it gets worse. also now when i start her up it sounds like shes going full throttle.

its coming from the piston area and when i rev the engine it gets worse. also now when i start her up it sounds like shes going full throttle.

I would sort out the revving issue first and then worry about the 'clonking' noise, it sounds like an air leak this has been documented many time, use the search facility.

my favorite a can of WD40 r similar :rolleyes:

clean the carb and lube the cable,been laid up so expect a cable too snap,id snap after 16 yrs if ya bent me in half,lol :blink:

i would change all lubes and not top up,

whats the plug like?should it be time for a rebuild?,get some heat into garage!

i love restoring old bikes :) can ya tell

coming from the piston area??? not good.... small end bearings/bush... i`m not sure if they have bush or bearings ?

Big end bearings??

something wrong with the rings??

sorry to be so negative... maybe i`m wrong and someone with a lot more knowledge will come along and point to the problem.

dont give up..... it`s not the most complicated bike in the world to work on :)

just a thought are you absolutely sure it`s coming from the barrel/top end (piston area)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online