1974 DT175 - Worth restoring?

This post is 4389 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a DT175 from '74 that I recently bought for $50. It does NOT have a title. (May be able to get one, but I had it for a parts bike for my titled 1972 125 AT2).

Problems:

Lights/gauges/blinkers are mostly removed/smashed.

No chain - Wasn't there

No back break (the cable at least)

No seat mounting pieces/hardware

The break and seat parts I took off for my AT2.

The engine does turn over, and I believe it is complete. Doesn't look too great, but I have some spare new parts for the AT2 from the previous owner that may also work for it.

I will use it for ONLY offroad, not road use. So the lights/key-ignition/blinkers/speedo don't matter to me.

Is it worth fixing this up?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a DT175 from '74 that I recently bought for $50. It does NOT have a title. (May be able to get one, but I had it for a parts bike for my titled 1972 125 AT2).

Problems:

Lights/gauges/blinkers are mostly removed/smashed.

No chain - Wasn't there

No back break (the cable at least)

No seat mounting pieces/hardware

The break and seat parts I took off for my AT2.

The engine does turn over, and I believe it is complete. Doesn't look too great, but I have some spare new parts for the AT2 from the previous owner that may also work for it.

I will use it for ONLY offroad, not road use. So the lights/key-ignition/blinkers/speedo don't matter to me.

Is it worth fixing this up?

Thanks

Yes.

I looking into it a little more today and talked to a mechanic who had inspected it.

It will need a new piston with rings, possibly a new cylinder, a new carb, air filter, chain, rear brake linkage.

That adds up to $300 or so, maybe less, possibly more. I don't know how much the bike is worth, and I have a few other bikes of my own. If I find a parts bike or spare engine with carb, maybe then I will do it.

dirtbikes002.jpg

I looking into it a little more today and talked to a mechanic who had inspected it.

It will need a new piston with rings, possibly a new cylinder, a new carb, air filter, chain, rear brake linkage.

That adds up to $300 or so, maybe less, possibly more. I don't know how much the bike is worth, and I have a few other bikes of my own. If I find a parts bike or spare engine with carb, maybe then I will do it.

dirtbikes002.jpg

Yes,that bike is pretty rough.I think it is just a parts bike.Would be for me anyway.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...