YB100 Restoration

surfingobo
This post is 5099 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

before you assume it`s siezed why dont you try taking the plug out and squirting a little bit of freeing oil into the bore and leave it for a couple of days.

after that you may find you will get some movment..... i did this on an old Suzuki A 100 and it saved me a top end re-build!!...

before you assume it`s siezed why dont you try taking the plug out and squirting a little bit of freeing oil into the bore and leave it for a couple of days.

after that you may find you will get some movment..... i did this on an old Suzuki A 100 and it saved me a top end re-build!!...

Try diesel as a freeing agent, its thin enough to penetrate and oily to lubricate :huh:

Hi Guys

About to start work on my YB100 to get it running again, it has been sitting for years and apparently may have 'seized up', can anyone tell me any common problems i may come across and how to fix them?

thanks

Old YB100 models that were left standing for a long time were prone to rust the main bearings. You may well get things moving, even get the engine running, by using "freeing oil" as suggested, but don't be surprised if the mains are shot. How will you know - the noise will tell you !!

Old YB100 models that were left standing for a long time were prone to rust the main bearings. You may well get things moving, even get the engine running, by using "freeing oil" as suggested, but don't be surprised if the mains are shot. How will you know - the noise will tell you !!

Also check the big ends as well - again lots of rumbling/scraping noises :( Can get an idea of main bearing failure by checking 'movement' when manipulating the generator flywheel.

Good luck :D

I for one would like to see a picture of this bike.

Otherwise, good luck. There are lots of ways to remove a stuck cylinder. Depending on where the piston is stuck in the bore, some techniques may or may not work. If it is in a position where the transfer ports are open, you will have to find a way to block them off or else anything you pour into the cylinder will drain into the case and not go to work on the rings. I have in the past had to drill the top of a piston around the wrist pin, the chisel out what was left between the holes in order to remove the cylinder with the outer edge of the piston still in place, leaving the crown of the piston still attached to the small end of the connecting rod. Time consuming, but cylinder's are harder to replace than pistons.

Hi I restored my 76 FS1E-DX after it had stood rusting since 1984, took me 3 evenings to get the barrel/piston unsiezed, didnt split the engine and she runs perfect 8 years on after restoration quiet and fast having been clocked by several other big bikes at 62mph.

if the rings are at the ports your diesel will go everywhere....... that is correct but dont worry about that to much , because if you generous with your diesel and splash it about a bit it will find its own way to the stuck parts... diesel creeps.

i found that bringing the engine onto the warm helps also.... dont ask me to explain???? it just seems to help.

what i did many moons ago with an A100 (similar engine) was block up the exhaust&carb ports, then pour diesel into the plug hole, put the plug back in and shake the engine, also turning it upside-down.

this got diesel into every nook and crany.

a week later and a few short hard knocks on the kick-start and a large socket on the sproket nut (put it in gear) ... hey presto!!! some movement.

once i got some movement, i did`nt force it to hard, i just let the diesel work for another day and tried again, after a few days the engine would turn over :)

i might not do it this way on a bike that i was going to restore to pristine condition, but it worked on my little A100 field-bike

hope this helps :)

• 4 weeks later...

hi i to am restoring a yb100 (1983) it had been stood god kno's how long but iv spent the last few weeks tinkering and expeimenting i striped the entire bike and dipped every part into into diesel and cleaned every nut with a rag hard time consumeing but hell it looks great, BUT it sounds like its running on choke even with choke in and there is a lot of clonking. iv just brought myself some replacement crome parts, when i put it all back together ill drop a pic on for your thoughts.

• 2 months later...

Alright Guys I've FINALLY got hold of my bike, and just in time it's my 17th in a couple of days and i wanna be riding it ASAP... I took off the petrol and oil tanks and cleaned them out, checked for a spark (which was slightly painfull lol) and then put it all back together and filled it up and after a couple of kicks the old girl came to life much to my suprise!! Tomorrow I'll be trying to unseize the clutch (any tips?) and greasing up the wheel bearings (again any tips?) and then i'll be looking at an MOT if it rides ok :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online