XVS950 MIDNIGHT STAR

terminator
This post is 4263 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Jem W.

I had similar problems with the boards scraping way too soon so I did the following.

Noting the rear suspension is set at 4 out of a possible 9 settings, with 9 being the firmest.

I noted that the boards had a clearance of 150mm unladen and 130mm with me 85Kg sitting on the bike.

I used the adjustment tool provided and changed the setting to 7 which obviously did not change the unladen clearance but had a significant effect on the laden clearance by increasing it to 142mm.

I then went for a ride and it was noticeably firmer ride with less movement in the rear spring but it improved the lean angle before scraping occurred.

To further improve the lean angle and reduce scraping I placed a 3mm rubber washer on the outside mounting bracket of the boards, it comes with three bolts to hold the boards to the mounting bracket, two closest to bike and the outside bolt. Although 3mm does sound like much of a difference as the inside bolt are still secured in their original position there is probably a 5mm difference at the end of the board.

I have done about 5,000kms and now only rarely scrape the boards, and if they do scrape I know that I am on the limits and to back off a bit.

The incessant scraping was driving me mad, not that was a long drive, hope this helps

Cheers

Ruddy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my XVS950a Midnight Star in April 2010 - my first motorbike (late starter!)and I am very pleased. I have done over 2,000 miles, mainly pleasure rides after a hard day at work, down lovely country roads, with the sun shining....fantastic.

I have done a couple of trips to visit relatives (160 round trip), and have returned over 70 mpg on the M25, mainly because at 60+ MPH you get buffetted to bits, so tend to stay at about 60. Now looking for a screen to use when doing longer journeys. Interested to have views on alternatives to the Yamaha OE screen, which is £340!

Anyone got a Puig screen, or the Highway Hawk?

Bought Givi luggage on e-Bay, way cheaper than other stuff, and looks good.

Planning a European weekend trip in 2011 - maybe a trip to Belgium for the weekend. Unfortunately, my wife lovesBelgium, but hates bikes!

Kevin

[see post below, I guess I stuffed up,

Ruddy]

Kevinc,

I was lucky enough to have the OEM screen, saddle bags, and sissy bar/rack fitted as part of the purchase deal.

However at speeds of 110kph there was buffeting/turbulence coming up from either side of the fuel tank, to resolve this I purchased OEM lowers from Star in the USA. I have just completed a 2,500 km round trip to the Snowy Mountains and had the bike up to max speed on a long straight road with little to no turbulence. This is my second cruiser and it was a similar with the Moto Guzzi and the lowers solved the problem there also.

Cheers

Ruddy

• 1 month later...

Kevinc,

I was lucky enough to have the OEM screen, saddle bags, and sissy bar/rack fitted as part of the purchase deal.

However at speeds of 110kph there was buffeting/turbulence coming up from either side of the fuel tank, to resolve this I purchased OEM lowers from Star in the USA. I have just completed a 2,500 km round trip to the Snowy Mountains and had the bike up to max speed on a long straight road with little to no turbulence. This is my second cruiser and it was a similar with the Moto Guzzi and the lowers solved the problem there also.

Cheers

Ruddy

Hi Ruddy

I have now installed my Highway Hawk screen, and whilst it does reduce the buffeting, there is a lot of wind noise. I guess I will have to experiment with the angle and height - anyone any advice to pass on? I will have a look at OEM lowers, thanks for this.

Kevin

• 1 year later...

Hi, had mine for tree mths now, a lot differant to my Ninja, keep catching foot rest's will have to slow down a bit lol, Wife would not go on the back unless i fitted a sissy bar (done) as seat slopes backwards. Also just fitted engine crash bars. I also need a manual any idea's where to get one for a 2012? John F

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online