XVS950 MIDNIGHT STAR

terminator
This post is 4262 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I originally wanted Black - it's what I know (Both Dragstars were black)

but I got a few hunderd off for having the blue one they had in stock...

Now I've had it a while - I prefer the Blue!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I originally wanted Black - it's what I know (Both Dragstars were black)

but I got a few hunderd off for having the blue one they had in stock...

Now I've had it a while - I prefer the Blue!

Does it go faster then? :P

I CANT READ THOSE STUPID little letters THERE TOO BLOODY small

Try holding down the ctrl button and pressing the + button once or twice...

Should make everything a bit BIGGER.

• 1 month later...

hi mike, a real shame the USA wont send to sweden, i'd have a real good think of how you can get around that ?...have you a relative in another country that they will ship too ...? I only ask because america is where all the really good, reasonably priced stuff is

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anybody has fitted an alarm to a 950? Ive tried fitting a Cyclone V3 but there was nowhere to put it, as theres very little space available on the bike. Anyone succeed in installing an alarm somewhere safe and discreet?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I've been chatting to my dealer - and they've told me I'm fine to work on my bike.

The warranty states that "service work should be done by a competent mechanic" - So as long as you use decent quality consumables (oils, filters etc.) and don't mess it up by forgetting to tighten something, cross threading, under/over torque or any other silly mistakes. your warranty will still be valid.

Checking and setting valve clearances is perfectly fine.

I've been chatting to my dealer - and they've told me I'm fine to work on my bike.

The warranty states that "service work should be done by a competent mechanic" - So as long as you use decent quality consumables (oils, filters etc.) and don't mess it up by forgetting to tighten something, cross threading, under/over torque or any other silly mistakes. your warranty will still be valid.

Checking and setting valve clearances is perfectly fine.

just to add to that mate (as a mechanic).... pls ensure genuine yamaha parts are used and obviously, keep all the receipts....

and buy a decent torque wrench.... ;)

not that these bikes go wrong often (fingers crossed).... <_<

• 4 weeks later...

Just a thought that occurred to me - Those floor-board sliders.

I'm gonna need to replace them by the end of the summer, so I asked my dealer how much they cost...

£25! :blink:

EACH!!

Anyone had to change theirs yet?

and has anyone got a link for titanium ones?? B)

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondered how any fellow owners are getting on with their 950's - any mods, problems, warranty work etc...

Mines done 1000 miles now, returning 57 mpg average ( worst 55mpg, best 59.5mpg) Performance not bad considered the low power output 112mph indicated ( about 100 actual mph) - Speedo is a good 10% out compared with GPS, Done the silencer mod on mine and fitted K&N air filter after doing the airbox mod ( now breathes cool air, against hot air from between the cylinders) - Looking forward to hearing from you ....

Cheers

The Terminator.

Hi

Just wondered how any fellow owners are getting on with their 950's - any mods, problems, warranty work etc...

Mines done 1000 miles now, returning 57 mpg average ( worst 55mpg, best 59.5mpg) Performance not bad considered the low power output 112mph indicated ( about 100 actual mph) - Speedo is a good 10% out compared with GPS, Done the silencer mod on mine and fitted K&N air filter after doing the airbox mod ( now breathes cool air, against hot air from between the cylinders) - Looking forward to hearing from you ....

Cheers

The Terminator.

Hi just bought my 950 midnight star in black only done 24 miles as yet. Glad to read your mpg is good. Looking for some panniers now as Yamaha want nearly £1000. Any idea where to get some cheaper and a good screen if poss. Many thanks. Chris new yam rider.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi just bought my 950 midnight star in black only done 24 miles as yet. Glad to read your mpg is good. Looking for some panniers now as Yamaha want nearly £1000. Any idea where to get some cheaper and a good screen if poss. Many thanks. Chris new yam rider.

I can recommend GIVI GP26..old stock now replaced by GP 27 but same litre capacity. You can find them on e-bay for under £50 (new but badges removed). I'm also currently selling 2 new PUIG cruiser screens on ebay (as I had buy 3 different sizes to experiment. Hope this helps. Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Im also interested in some panniers - I fancy the soft throw over ones - http://www.yamabits.co.uk/motorcycle-accessories/star/xvs950a-midnight-strar/yamaha-xvs950a-xv1900-midnight-star-soft-throw-over-saddlebags.html

Has anyone got images of these attached to their bike? or does anyone know the dimensions - I want something smaller than the hard panniers as they make the bike a little wide IMHO. Any advice appreciated!

• 2 months later...

I can recommend GIVI GP26..old stock now replaced by GP 27 but same litre capacity. You can find them on e-bay for under £50 (new but badges removed). I'm also currently selling 2 new PUIG cruiser screens on ebay (as I had buy 3 different sizes to experiment. Hope this helps. Mike

Hi Thanks for the tip on panniers. did you sell the screens? What is your ebay id I will look them up. Cheers Chris. Have done 589 Miles on bike now Ready for first Service..

• 2 weeks later...

Just about due for the first service now and after the Bandit 1200 I am enjoying life at a more relaxed pace. Still getting used to slowing down more on the corners but knew about the lack of ground clearance, good job the boards can fold up. Had the Yamaha backrest put on from new and thinking about putting rear footboards. Seen Highway Hawk ones on ebay, anyone know of these and what they are like? I don't plan on changing the bike much but was thinking about saddlebags and see they have already been mentioned but Yamaha prices are too frightening. I didn't buy the bike for mega-tours but will try to get farther than the next county. Very pleased with the bike overall, an alternative to HD without having to subscribe to the HD thing. I am a bike rider, not a rider of a particular bike. If I borrow my sons 125 I am not ashamed but I prefer my own. Currently working away from home but will be on the lookout for any others once home again later in the year.

• 1 month later...

I bought my XVS950a Midnight Star in April 2010 - my first motorbike (late starter!)and I am very pleased. I have done over 2,000 miles, mainly pleasure rides after a hard day at work, down lovely country roads, with the sun shining....fantastic.

I have done a couple of trips to visit relatives (160 round trip), and have returned over 70 mpg on the M25, mainly because at 60+ MPH you get buffetted to bits, so tend to stay at about 60. Now looking for a screen to use when doing longer journeys. Interested to have views on alternatives to the Yamaha OE screen, which is £340!

Anyone got a Puig screen, or the Highway Hawk?

Bought Givi luggage on e-Bay, way cheaper than other stuff, and looks good.

Planning a European weekend trip in 2011 - maybe a trip to Belgium for the weekend. Unfortunately, my wife lovesBelgium, but hates bikes!

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Either don't lean, or learn to love the scraping - (go for option 2!)

The boards are sprung, so it shouldn't be a problem...

just keep an eye on the "Moles" aka the sacrificial bit that's bolted onto the foot boards - and replace them when they wear down.

So how many miles does everyone do on their xvs950s?

I've had mine almost a year and clocked up 7500 + got through a pair of tires.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online