Opinions...

emdotdee
This post is 5215 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So who does clutch-less gear changes? Is it something that most bikers do or is just something that you pick up with experience, when I was originally learning to ride I was never told it by the instructor.

After I was riding for a couple of years I tried to do it on my 125 but I don't think I had the technique because it felt a bit clunky but now I'm on my Street Triple my gear changing is a lot quicker and smoother because of doing clutch-less changing. What're your opinions on it?

Also, what's your experience with installing alarms and the reliability etc.

I want one for my Street Triple but I'd have to have an official one fitted at cost of over £300 to keep my warranty.

I really want an alarm because my last bike was stolen and I don't know what I would do if this one was taken away from me! Should I just stick with a big lock and an alarmed disc lock? That's what I use now but it doesn't stop me from being paranoid. heh.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Alarms......I wouldn't bother. The reason for this is that they are an add on. Anything that is added on can easily be removed.

It took me 20 mins to totally remove a Datatool alarm from my BMW R1150R. Hardly any deterent for a thief. I was livid when I saw the damage done to the bike's wiring loom by the so called professionals that installed it. Wires cut and nicked, insulation tape over twisted together wires, terrible soldering. The main feed wire had the inslation nicked in two places and as a result water had got in to the conductor and it had corroded through (which explained the odd electrical glich the bike was getting). Something that is added (and if done badly will leave you with no end of electrical problems) is very easy to remove so therefore not worth bothering with!

The only good alarm/immobiliser is a manufacturers one that forms an integral part of the bike's wiring/ecu system and can't be removed.

i agree speedshop. on my cars i have had alarms before, i had one stolen and all the thief did was yank out the siren part, throw it on the ground and steal my car.

i still keep an alarm on the car, but i know its merely a deterrent. not a complete solution to theft.

the best thing i can think of for my car was a pitce of steel "T" pipe that slipped over the gas pedal and had a lock that slipped thru 2 holes and secured ti to the pedal. the pipe fit on in such a way that the pedal couldnt be pushed down, and most car thieves are unprepared to try to cut thru a pipe. the lock, was fit in such a manner thru the pipe that it couldnt be got at very easily with a saw. but was pretty easy to unlock.

as far as a deterrent for a motorcycle, fit a blinking led onto the bike someplace noticable. then wire that to a wallet battery and hide it someplace on the bike like under the seat. you can also fit a toggle switch someplace to turn it on and off.

the light will make some thieves think twice. and wont cost you very much money.

that combined with your disklock is about all the security i can imagine. and even then im sorry to say it all depends on how determined the thief is.

you should look to see if your area had any program with the police that etches/engraves the serial numbers on your bike.

in my town, they have a free program. they etch your vin # on all your windows and issue you 2 stickers. one has a number that traces back to your information, and one fits on the rear window. both are highly reflective and area police are instructed that they are to pull over naybody displaying such stickers if they are on the road after 1 am. and they are to check the sticker number, the license and registration etc. if all goes well and right you are on your way in 5 minutes. if its not you in the car, you are contacted. if thay cant contact you, or you say that they dont have permission, your car is stolen, etc. they go to jail. and you get the car back.

Here's my opinion...

Clutchless changes:

Why do you have a cluth then?

Why don't they just invent a bike that auto-clutches or even better - Get an automatic bike?

I hear a lot of clutchless talk and I just don't see the point. I can change up and down just as fast as clutchless people do. Sometimes faster.

Unless you're racing the bike, what is the point?

Alarms:

They do one thing only - Let you know you bike is being fucked with.

No-one else will even look, but you'll know someone is messing.

I have one on mine and if it sounds I'll be outside with a BIG stick or a sword, beating the living daylights out of whoever dares to mess with my bike. My other half will have grabbed one of my other big sticks or her own sword and will be doing the same.

I don't use an immobiliser because they are easily bypassed and if not properly done (even pro's make mistakes) can fail/immob your bike while you're actually riding it. I know people this has happened to.

Alarms will be ignored by everyone else, so it's there for you only.

The one thing that will stop most thieves is securing your bike to an immovable object. Get a good chain and lash it to something like a lamp post or a building. Make sure the chain is well clear of the floor, so thay can't brace bolt cutters on the ground. Use a padlock with a disc detainer lock - If the keyway looks like a front door Yale lock then even I can pick it in less than 10 seconds with a paperclip. If you can, secure the bike in a garage and/or keep it covered*. A second lock on the disc will help deter thieves. An alarmed one is just an extra shock for them.

Ultimately, the easiest way to nick a bike is to literally just lift it into a van. Takes between 9 and 15 seconds on average.

No-one will try and stop them, so you must make it fucking hard to lift. They'd need some expensive tools to cut free a properly secured bike. With enough time any bike can be stolen. Your job is to make your bike such a hassle and such an awkward target that they'll fuck off and look for something a whole lot easier.

People often talk about the price of security and the hassle of removing it all just to go for a ride.

Now go park somewhere in a town that you've never been to and tell me that security is a hassle.

*Covering/hiding - Top targets are high performance bikes and 125s. Either in one piece or broken for parts, there will always be a big market for these. If they can't tell which bike it is, they might not waste time finding out.