HUGE puddle of oil under my 78 YZ80E!

DarylS
This post is 4747 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I put the bike away for the winter about a month ago, was rooting around in the garage this afternoon and happened see a big puddle of oil had spread out from underneath the dropcloth beneath my old 1978 YZ80. The entire contents of the transmission/clutch seem to have leaked out.

I haven't disassembled anything yet but it looks like the oil seal for the driving sprocket has failed (or possibly the gear shift oil seal). Is the oil seal something I can replace from the outside (by removing the sprocket) or will this entail splitting the case? Does anyone have a DIY guide for this? I'm mechanically competent but don't like to get into something without at least some knowledge of how to tackle the problem. Ideally if anyone can point me to a PDF service manual that would be the best.

The bike has been in the family since new, the seals are all original so I guess I can't complain they lasted as long as they did. It looks like I have myself a winter project!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Daryl

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks for your post Daryl,

I have same question although not yet a puddle of oil. On my SR250 I am loosing oil when I fill it up to high level. Drips out while hanging low on the side stand. Dirty mess. Still driving..... But want to change the seal on the drive axle and that on the gear shift.

I think of first cutting the rubber and get rid of the spring, then carefully drilling one or more holes in the metal seal casing.

Then try to push the side inward with very small (watch) screwdriver and some other things. Hope it will come loose that way to easy pry out.

I ones got the seals out of the front shocks by first carefully filing the rim with very small key files and then braking the rim as above.

But I must say, it took me a few hours and those seals are much wider and easier to get at without disturbing axle.

Any other ideas are welcome. Good luck to us.

where can I register to join the club?

my 1982 Maxim XS400 has always been dripping a little oil, ever since I bought it in November 2005

but recently I got home and the garage door was open a bit so I stoped, pulled open the door completely and drove in

when I turned to close the door I saw a huge trail of oil

the next day I checked and this trail began some 2 kilometers from my house and was easy to folow, 10 centimeters wide and turning in my driveway

because I was too occupied with the replacement of the motor of my 1983 Saab 99GL because this had already broken down some weeks earlier I haven't had the time to take a look at my Maxim

now I have started to look for a manual but they seem quit rare

the only thing I found (on eBay) seems to be a Haynes workshop manual by Mansur Darlington: Yamaha XS250, 360 and 400 Twins 1975-84 Owner's Workshop Manual, but I'm not sure this is the right one for me (the picture on the front cover looks OK to me, at least in the newest version

can anyone confirm this is the right manual for me?

are there other manuals available? and if so where?

where can I register to join the club?

my 1982 Maxim XS400 has always been dripping a little oil, ever since I bought it in November 2005

but recently I got home and the garage door was open a bit so I stoped, pulled open the door completely and drove in

when I turned to close the door I saw a huge trail of oil

the next day I checked and this trail began some 2 kilometers from my house and was easy to folow, 10 centimeters wide and turning in my driveway

because I was too occupied with the replacement of the motor of my 1983 Saab 99GL because this had already broken down some weeks earlier I haven't had the time to take a look at my Maxim

now I have started to look for a manual but they seem quit rare

the only thing I found (on eBay) seems to be a Haynes workshop manual by Mansur Darlington: Yamaha XS250, 360 and 400 Twins 1975-84 Owner's Workshop Manual, but I'm not sure this is the right one for me (the picture on the front cover looks OK to me, at least in the newest version

can anyone confirm this is the right manual for me?

are there other manuals available? and if so where?

If your engine number begins with 12R the SOHC info in that manual will disappoint you as you will have a DOHC engine. I've been looking for a real Maxim manual for my 82-83 xs400 Maxims as well. The lads here say to use the 12E engine info found under the Classics forum. Rick :)

If your engine number begins with 12R the SOHC info in that manual will disappoint you as you will have a DOHC engine. I've been looking for a real Maxim manual for my 82-83 xs400 Maxims as well. The lads here say to use the 12E engine info found under the Classics forum. Rick :)

both my bikes have a 15G engine

never really looked into this actually, but now I see some strange differences

my daily driver says simply 02-1982 (506) and then 15G-000318 on the frame and on the sticker but on the motor it looks like 15G-000618

on my donor it says 12-1983 (506) and then JYA15G00 0 EA101xxx

so on the newer version the number is much longer, or is this because of the country it was first used?

I believe my daily driver was imported from Canada, I don't know where my donor comes from,

the seller had prepared the paperwork for his emigration to Portugal but lost those and it had no licenseplate so I just have to guess it is originally from the Netherlands

so for my 15G engines, will this Haynes manual be the right one?

what does SOHC and DOHC stand for?

by the way, does the "(506)" have a special meaning?

I've been searching some in the sticky links and found a list, but still no clue about the meaning of these codes, the differences between them

so still the question: what is a good manual for my 15G bike

Bike Year Size Description Type Code VIN

XS400-2E 1978 400 XS400-2 Street 2G5

XS400-2F 1979 400 XS400-2 Street 2V6

XS400D 1977 400 XS400 Street 2A2

XS400E 1978 400 XS400 Street 2L0

XS400F 1979 400 XS400 Street 2L0

XS400G 1980 400 XS400 Special 2 Street 3F8

XS400H 1981 400 XS400 Street 4R5

XS400J 1982 400 XS400 Maxim Street 12R

XS400K 1983 400 XS400 Maxim Street 12R

XS400L 1884 400 XS400 Maxim Street 15G

XS400RJ 1982 400 XS400R Seca Street 16M

XS400RK 1983 400 XS400R Seca Street 16M

XS400SG 1980 400 XS400S Heritage Street 3F9

XS400SH 1981 400 XS400S Heritage Street 4R4

XS400SJ 1982 400 XS400S Heritage Street 14V

I've been searching some in the sticky links and found a list, but still no clue about the meaning of these codes, the differences between them

so still the question: what is a good manual for my 15G bike

Bike Year Size Description Type Code VIN

XS400-2E 1978 400 XS400-2 Street 2G5

XS400-2F 1979 400 XS400-2 Street 2V6

XS400D 1977 400 XS400 Street 2A2

XS400E 1978 400 XS400 Street 2L0

XS400F 1979 400 XS400 Street 2L0

XS400G 1980 400 XS400 Special 2 Street 3F8

XS400H 1981 400 XS400 Street 4R5

XS400J 1982 400 XS400 Maxim Street 12R

XS400K 1983 400 XS400 Maxim Street 12R

XS400L 1884 400 XS400 Maxim Street 15G

XS400RJ 1982 400 XS400R Seca Street 16M

XS400RK 1983 400 XS400R Seca Street 16M

XS400SG 1980 400 XS400S Heritage Street 3F9

XS400SH 1981 400 XS400S Heritage Street 4R4

XS400SJ 1982 400 XS400S Heritage Street 14V

Didn't know how blessed I was to live in America. SOHC=Single overhead cam; DOHC=Double overhead cam. Now, if this information is accurate it is a gold mine for me when looking for "bits/parts". The 12R indicates what engine design I have to order parts for. You might need a similar part but due to the design or change in the engine should only order 15G prefixed parts. Your design probably reflects different regulations and laws. But what muddles it up is that this shows that design to be on only the 1984 bike not 82-83. Don't know what plastics you have but for starting and going issues stick to 15G things. Almost makes you want to get a 2010 R1 doesn't it. Rick :D

Didn't know how blessed I was to live in America. SOHC=Single overhead cam; DOHC=Double overhead cam. .....etc. .....etc.

Welcome as new members, but...

Please... Please... STICK TO THE TOPIC. puddle of oil

I appreciate your useful discussions, and it would be smart to open these as new topics with its specific heading like:

XS400 VIN?

XS400 Manuals?

Is win win. Good luck.

Thanks Khunangkaro, well said. I was going to post something similar but you beat me to it.

So...

Does anybody know where I can view the PDF version of the Factory Service Manual? I know there is a Clymer manual available (Clymer Yamaha YZ50-80 Monoshock 1978-1990, ISBN: 9780892874958) but I've never much cared for Clymer or Haynes as they are never as good as what the factory issues. I suppose in a pinch though the Clymer manual is better than nothing!

Can anybody help?

Thanks folks.

Daryl

Thanks Khunangkaro, well said. I was going to post something similar but you beat me to it.

So...

Sorry Lads; Was just so happy to talk Maxim I forgot.....Rick

I put the bike away for the winter about a month ago, was rooting around in the garage this afternoon and happened see a big puddle of oil had spread out from underneath the dropcloth beneath my old 1978 YZ80. The entire contents of the transmission/clutch seem to have leaked out.

I haven't disassembled anything yet but it looks like the oil seal for the driving sprocket has failed (or possibly the gear shift oil seal). Is the oil seal something I can replace from the outside (by removing the sprocket) or will this entail splitting the case? Does anyone have a DIY guide for this? I'm mechanically competent but don't like to get into something without at least some knowledge of how to tackle the problem. Ideally if anyone can point me to a PDF service manual that would be the best.

The bike has been in the family since new, the seals are all original so I guess I can't complain they lasted as long as they did. It looks like I have myself a winter project!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Daryl

I have a picture of self made tool.

It worked easy. Even the smallest seal on the shift axle just popped out in one second.

How to get the picture here??

• 1 year later...

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Daryl

i have the same bike and it does the same thing its my shift fork seal, but i have next to zip for compressiona and hae to split the case and do a full rebuild anyway so im just going to replace it when im doing that

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online