XJ550 Advice

SRJ999
This post is 5229 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ladies & gentlemen, a little advice, if you would be so kind.

Having had an utterly crap 2009, during which I lost my job and worse, my beloved TDM, I have been bikeless for most of the year. I now find myself continually poring over ads in MCN and eBay for something I might be able to afford. Some have come and gone but I'm being uber careful and have not as yet succumbed to anything. Bearing in mind that my budget is woefully low, any offers for sparkly new/newish machines for sale will only add to the depression.

However, this week I came across an XJ550, 1982 vintage, in eBay. Apparently it's a runner but has a headlight relay issue plus possibly other electrical problems. I contacted the seller who alluded to it in his reply: "In short, the engine is a good un but the electrics are the problem, Im assured that it can be sorted for less than a hundred quid."

The bike is what it is; an old machine that probably needs TLC to get properly running. Am I deluding myself, I wonder? It's up for £100 start and £300 buy it now. You'll find it here.

I've got until tomorrow (3 Dec) to decide but would appreciate any thoughts. Ta.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry to hear youve had such a bad year SRJ, wondered what happened to you and glad to see you on the forum again hope things buck up for you soon

Dunno anything about the bike in question though, is it near enough and have you got the means to collect it? a close inspection of the chain and sprockets and tyres would be nice (or ask the seller) if he says they are worn you need to factor that in too.

As for the ebay sale, it seems cheap but he's got a reserve on it so its not likely to go for £100

PS...the red wheels look naff IMO :D

I am a little concerned that I may be biting off more than I can chew here. This could also end up being a money pit. I don't expect it to go for £100 either. It's located a fair way off from me, which is also an issue but I can get cheap/free transport to collect. I just worry that I'm looking for anything, rather than taking time and finding something that might actually be worth saving. I may actually be better off waiting (and saving up) to find something salvageable for the £500 mark.

If I'm honest, I've always fancied an Elsie but so far I've only seen silly money ones. However, I thought an XJ550 would at least be able to carry both me and the other half on trips once in a while. I can't see an RD250/350LC being too good at that particular task...

I think I'll wait.

If you are unsure dont do it , i always go on my gutt instinct, bike looks ok though less the wheels , but it worth having a drive up to see it first , you see can the buyer, see what he is like, ask for the mot failure sheet , see if it is the relay, if he is not coming forward with the answers

walk away

MMMMMM elsie great bikes but you are not going to get one off those for a couple of hundred quid

OK; decision made. Whilst mulling it over, I was beaten to it by a "buy It Now" bidder. So, the search can start anew.

OK; decision made. Whilst mulling it over, I was beaten to it by a "buy It Now" bidder. So, the search can start anew.

Im a great beliver in fate if it was to be yours you would have had it, good luck on your search

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online