1972 DT2 250 Enduro Transmission Rebuild

Dull Johnny
This post is 4189 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Newb Tranny Rebuild  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Should I attempt or find a mechanic?

• Go for it!
    • Hell no!
    • maybe / maybe not

I have a 1972 DT2 250 Enduro. It has only 4900 miles on it but ever since I rode it first gear slips, not all the time but the majority of the time. I've spoken to a few mechanics and their input was that the bike was ridden by someone who learned to ride on the bike. I'm guessing this was my brother who learned to ride on this bike when he was in high school. I'm contemplating doing the work myself. The clutch has a very short range to it in terms of grab and release (springs worn out?) and I figure if I'm going to do that I might as well as replace 1st gear as well. I've done minor work on the bike, carb rebuild, cleaned up the piston, etc.

So here is the question… is this something I could/should attempt on my own? What is the difficulty factor, special tools etc.? Any tips, thoughts or special input?

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi johnny, dunno what evidence you have that the problem is the transmission (ie gearbox) but you need to eliminate the clutch as the problem...select third or fourth, rev the bike and let the clutch out with the brakes applied...the engine should stall, if it doesnt then the clutch is the problem. as for the poll, goes without saying really bike looks good and has sentimental value too so get it fixed ;)

...Paul

I have a 1972 DT2 250 Enduro. It has only 4900 miles on it but ever since I rode it first gear slips, not all the time but the majority of the time. I've spoken to a few mechanics and their input was that the bike was ridden by someone who learned to ride on the bike. I'm guessing this was my brother who learned to ride on this bike when he was in high school. I'm contemplating doing the work myself. The clutch has a very short range to it in terms of grab and release (springs worn out?) and I figure if I'm going to do that I might as well as replace 1st gear as well. I've done minor work on the bike, carb rebuild, cleaned up the piston, etc.

So here is the question… is this something I could/should attempt on my own? What is the difficulty factor, special tools etc.? Any tips, thoughts or special input?

Thanks.

Ask the guys at yamahaenduro.com. They can tell you lots about that bike. LOTS. B)

Thanks.

Its the use of the word slips that is catching my eye. As OG is saying check out the clutch.

Gears don't slip especially at that kind of mileage. Jump,jam,lock, and any number of variations but it cannot slip.

Also although the bike will come apart easily enough (i know i know) considering the age of the bike and the (relative) rarity of the parts involved i would not be rushing to split the cases untill i actually needed to.

Like i said i'm with OG check out the clutch.

Its the use of the word slips that is catching my eye. As OG is saying check out the clutch.

Gears don't slip especially at that kind of mileage. Jump,jam,lock, and any number of variations but it cannot slip.

Also although the bike will come apart easily enough (i know i know) considering the age of the bike and the (relative) rarity of the parts involved i would not be rushing to split the cases untill i actually needed to.

Like i said i'm with OG check out the clutch.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll try these suggestions and get back to everyone with what I find out. And thanks for the other referring site as well.

Cheers

• 2 years later...

So it was jumping out of gear. Not slipping......?