Dt 175 Seat Cover

professor nick
This post is 5163 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all - just got a NOS seat cover for a 1974 DT 175.

Does anyone have any advice of replacing the seat cover itself and securing with the metal tabs

I have taken the old one off and the foam is still in excellent condition. I have wire brushed a bit of surface rust and will treat and repaint and I think I will look for some more of teh thin plastic piping that slips over the metal frame to protect the sean fabric.

cheers

Sean

• 2 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like you are going the right way about this and if your foam is in good nick you are lucky cos this is usually the most damaged part and I'm pretty sure you can't get new ones. The plastic strip you are referring to usually just needs cleaned up as they don't usually rot or tear.

If you are looking for a top quality replacment cover at a good price try this link

My link

This guy's products are fantastic.

Hi all - just got a NOS seat cover for a 1974 DT 175.

Does anyone have any advice of replacing the seat cover itself and securing with the metal tabs

I have taken the old one off and the foam is still in excellent condition. I have wire brushed a bit of surface rust and will treat and repaint and I think I will look for some more of teh thin plastic piping that slips over the metal frame to protect the sean fabric.

cheers

Sean

Try to get a look at Classic mechanics Motorcycle magazine, the Feb 2010 ed (Honda 400Four on cover) The have some tips on fitting a new seat cover:)

Sounds like you are going the right way about this and if your foam is in good nick you are lucky cos this is usually the most damaged part and I'm pretty sure you can't get new ones. The plastic strip you are referring to usually just needs cleaned up as they don't usually rot or tear.

If you are looking for a top quality replacment cover at a good price try this link

My link

This guy's products are fantastic.

It doesnt look like it from the photo :huh:

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

It's not that, they have mistakenly used memory foam and that is a perfect cheek replica of who ever was on it last.....

• 2 weeks later...

It's not that, they have mistakenly used memory foam and that is a perfect cheek replica of who ever was on it last.....

They haven't used any foam as it isn't actually fitted to a seat.....they only sell the covers

It doesnt look like it from the photo :huh:

Well, the one he sent me for my Yamaha CS3 is perfect

2008_0304bikepo0049.jpg

so are the other 4 I bought from him for other models so I reckon the DT one would be fine once it is fitted to a good foam.

Well, the one he sent me for my Yamaha CS3 is perfect

2008_0304bikepo0049.jpg

so are the other 4 I bought from him for other models so I reckon the DT one would be fine once it is fitted to a good foam.

Yours looks nice, I can see why you recommend the guy. BUT you have to admit that your picture is many times better than his, thats just bad marketing on his part and were just having a laugh ;)

Yep, a laugh a day is goodwink.gif

Now that is a good looking seat!

I find that's one of the problems refurbishing a seat. Even with a really good cover it won't look right if your foam and base a knackered.

The guy made that CS3 cover for me for nothing on the condition that I'd send him a picture of the finished article but it took me about 2 or 3 years to find a decent base and foam to fit it to! :unsure:

I must admit I didn't notice the wrinkles in the DT175 seat until youz pointed it out lol but they are probbaly there to allow the cover to puff out to the correct curve once the foam pads it out.

I find that's one of the problems refurbishing a seat. Even with a really good cover it won't look right if your foam and base a knackered.

The guy made that CS3 cover for me for nothing on the condition that I'd send him a picture of the finished article but it took me about 2 or 3 years to find a decent base and foam to fit it to! :unsure:

I must admit I didn't notice the wrinkles in the DT175 seat until youz pointed it out lol but they are probbaly there to allow the cover to puff out to the correct curve once the foam pads it out.

You did a great job with yours... :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online