SR125 - More Oomph!

KirriePete
This post is 5203 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First things first - the PDIL's (Prospective Daughter-In-Law) wee SR flew through the MOT on Friday afternoon, clean sheet, no advisories - woohoo!

Now, riding it the 8 miles each way gave me an insight into just how gutless this little motor is, it just managed 60 on a long (mile plus) downhill incline, and holding 50 meant doing the left foot tap dance. Fair enough I'm 6ft and 15 stone, but the lad's old Suzy EN125 would pull 75 with me pinning it down, so it can't be impossible.

It's currently running standard gearing and I'm considering dropping a tooth on the front and going up one on the back to let it rev out in top - comments/suggestions?

It just feels like the poor wee mill can't breath properly - air filter cleaned & re-oiled with K&N pink stuff I had in the shed, new pattern 'zorst off the devil's own auction site ... Where do I drill and how big a hole?

Any and all suggestions welcome, please be aware that this is now officially a no-budget bike (she's skint).

Ta

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I assume its fully serviced timed and compression checked?

my li'l cg125 was 65 tops, but my friends gilera cougar went to 75 and its supposed to have the same engine in it!!

• 2 months later...

First things first - the PDIL's (Prospective Daughter-In-Law) wee SR flew through the MOT on Friday afternoon, clean sheet, no advisories - woohoo!

Now, riding it the 8 miles each way gave me an insight into just how gutless this little motor is, it just managed 60 on a long (mile plus) downhill incline, and holding 50 meant doing the left foot tap dance. Fair enough I'm 6ft and 15 stone, but the lad's old Suzy EN125 would pull 75 with me pinning it down, so it can't be impossible.

It's currently running standard gearing and I'm considering dropping a tooth on the front and going up one on the back to let it rev out in top - comments/suggestions?

It just feels like the poor wee mill can't breath properly - air filter cleaned & re-oiled with K&N pink stuff I had in the shed, new pattern 'zorst off the devil's own auction site ... Where do I drill and how big a hole?

Any and all suggestions welcome, please be aware that this is now officially a no-budget bike (she's skint).

Ta

I had a SR mate and i could only get 60-65 out of it and i'm 6 foot and 14 stone aswell! lol Think we're just too big lol.

I am delicately assuming the PDIL ISN'T 6foot and counting and clocking in at 15 stone, so, she might get a lot more from it.

When i first had my 600 i could quite happily ride with a mate of mine with his 1200 bandit cos he was 6stone heavier than me and that squashed all the advantage he got from the extra 600cc, And if we swapped bikes, yeeeeeha.

Wait and see if she finds it a problem before you go tearing it up. If she is like my missus so long as it starts, stops and she can call it something stupid she will be fine.

The SR is resitricted by the exhaust and it's cam. But the engine is a fragile one prone to destroying the rockers.

For a full tune I'd replace the exhaust (the standard one doesn't lend itself to modifaction of the kind required to get the engine to breathe) the carb and the cam shaft(if you can find a warmer one).

If the oiling to the head can be improved I'd do that first before tuning the engine, if not a good synthetic oil will help protect it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online