XS400 Restification?

plain old dave
This post is 5096 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I see tons of bobbers and cafe racers, but few if any semi-original bikes. The XS400 is quite a competent roadster with only a few modifications, most of which can be done without compromising the historicity of the bike. Is anybody besides me riding a stock (or close to stock) XS400?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I see tons of bobbers and cafe racers, but few if any semi-original bikes. The XS400 is quite a competent roadster with only a few modifications, most of which can be done without compromising the historicity of the bike. Is anybody besides me riding a stock (or close to stock) XS400?

mines restored close to stock with twin disk mod, braided lines and wires.

100_1137.jpg

Normally, I try to do whichever bike I've rescued back to OEM, or dang close. However, I got the urge to do something a bit more personal, and settled on an XS400, as there are so many of them, and "fix-up" parts are plentiful. No other excuse for massaging an otherwise very capable scoot.

Mind you, if the Canadian '78 XS400 had the same style as the Euro/Brit version, it may have been a different story.

Drewpy, I love your bike.

I just added stock pipes to my 81 XS400 and restored the wheels with new spokes. I would not call the XS400 an overly competent machine since it doesn't handle as well as other bikes and the drum brakes leave a bit to be desired. It has decent torque and runs good around town.

I cringe when I see the Cafe applications of XS400 bikes, especially the special II model which doesn't lend itself to the mod as easily.

One modification I plan to do is paint the rear and front fenders to match the bike's original color. I like the look of painted fenders better. That's not much of a sacrilege now is it?

I just added stock pipes to my 81 XS400 and restored the wheels with new spokes. I would not call the XS400 an overly competent machine since it doesn't handle as well as other bikes and the drum brakes leave a bit to be desired. It has decent torque and runs good around town.

Mine has front and rear disc brakes, and 2 things I have done that completely transformed the bike are bronze swingarm bushings and properly sized tires, which are 3.00-18 on front and 3.50-18 on back. Oversized tires made mine handle like a Harley Sportster.

One modification I plan to do is paint the rear and front fenders to match the bike's original color. I like the look of painted fenders better. That's not much of a sacrilege now is it?

Not really; I believe I will go with alloy fenders over the winter. Kinda goin' for a combo Triumph T100 Daytona/ Vincent look.

"Oversized tires made mine handle like a Harley Sportster."

That's good to know...mine has oversize tires, and really needs persuasion to change direction...mercifully, they are almost worn out, so new (and correct) skins are in the offing.

Normally, I try to do whichever bike I've rescued back to OEM, or dang close. However, I got the urge to do something a bit more personal, and settled on an XS400, as there are so many of them, and "fix-up" parts are plentiful. No other excuse for massaging an otherwise very capable scoot.

Mind you, if the Canadian '78 XS400 had the same style as the Euro/Brit version, it may have been a different story.

Drewpy, I love your bike.

Say Runningdog, what are some of personal treatments for the xs?

• 4 months later...

I am in the midst of a 1979 XS 400 resurrection and I'm bringing it back to original condition. It has sat without running for about 10 years. After 4 or 5 weeks of taking it slow, it now runs well...and that was its own adventure. I have a little work to do on the front end, but everything behind the front fork (other than the seat) has been cleaned, polished, painted, adjusted, serviced, etc.

Here is a "before" and a couple of "durings"..."afters" to follow...someday

http://www.motoredbikes.com/picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=5909

http://www.motoredbikes.com/picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=6297

http://www.motoredbikes.com/picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=6300

I am also restoring a 78 xs with OEM parts where pos, after being off road for 12 years, items 2 date not yam stuff is silencers,s/steel calliper pistons, shocks,some nuts/bolts/washers, brake hoses (purchased from classic brake hoses).

Not much more to get now after 3 years of collecting. About to start the rolling chassis with the engine going in last.

graham

"Say Runningdog, what are some of personal treatments for the xs? "

Sorry I took so long to reply to this query....must have been working on the bike....

Over the winter, aside from doing the usual maintenance/repairs required to bring an older bike kicking and screaming into the 21st century, I got the tank and side covers painted (silver tank, black side covers), got the rather bulbous stock seat shaved and shaped into a soft bum-stop, installed clubmans, cropped the rear fender, installed a small round tail-light from a '65 CA200 (with home-made bracket), swapped the old fuse block for a new type, shortened the stock signal shafts, and dreamt about what to change next.

DSCN0317.jpg

DSCN0318.jpg

I know that this post is really about leaving a xs 400 stock, but I've already done that a few times...time to change a bike that still has lots of very nice examples rolling around.

B)

Edited by drewpy
bad html. double IMG tags, now only 1, drewps

I see faaaaaaar more stock xs's than I do customized. Now if you do it proper like drewpy has, it looks phenomenal... especially the UK version. A run-of-the-mill xs leaves a lot to be desired in the eye candy department and a US version just looks like trash. A nicely done xs is a rare thing, and I appreciate every one, no matter the 'style'.

CBs on the other hand...jeez, everyone has a cafe'd CB.

Drewps, thanks for fixing my photo problem...I've never been able to post piccies, now I know the problem.

The seat is basically a stock XS400E seat, reshaped stock foam, and a custom cover, so it still maintains the stock seat pan and mounting hardware. One of the guys in our local British Columbia Collector Motorcycle Club ()is an upholstery wizard, does the seats for some of the local Harley custom B) builders. I just told him kinda what I would like, and left it with him....pretty cool... B)

• 4 weeks later...

Houghmade,

Very nice clean-up, there, that bike looks nicer than new...I like the mufflers.

Congrats on a sensitive "rizn-frm-thded".... :blink:

that is one clean Mo' fo'

colour reminds me of my grandad's 60's mini, it collapsed when we all got in it for a day out :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online