R125 insurance - £1700....?

malthus101
This post is 4718 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

if ur getting quotes of £1700 for an r125 then ur looking in the wrong places m8. when i got my 1st bike at 16 i got quoted £300 for third party fire and theft i had to make a claim in the 1st year cause it got nicked which pushed it up to £500 (i didnt see any need for fully comp and still dont). im now 23 with 6 years under my belt and my insurance is less than £100! think im with red star but not too sure but still £1700 for a 125!!!!! i could get a 2lr vauxhall vectra insured and still have cash to spare and iv only got a provisional license!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

um.....wow....those insurance rates...all of them look pretty outrageous.

Out of curiosity, what kind of coverage is that for? I know that the UK has different insurance requirements, so I am trying to figure out how to compare that to what we would pay in the U.S.

I ran a quote for my XS 400 the other day- I realize that the collision and comprehensive will be more on a new bike...and I don't carry it anyway, but this is what I can get:

-personal injury liability coverage of $100,000 per person and $300,000 per occurrance

-property damage liability coverage of $50,000

-medical payments coverage of $5,000 (payment of any medical expenses caused regardless of fault)

-no collision or comprehensive coverage

$91.00 a year, which today equates to 59 GBP.

In my state I can get away with liability coverage of 25,000/50,000/10,000 rather than the 100,000 /300,000/50,000...but I own stuff as in a home, other real estate and a portion of a business, so I like more insurance as i would like to keep all of those things. If I went with the state minumum I would be looking at about $65 a year (42 GBP).

If I carried collision and comp. on a new motorcycle in the 125 class (only scooters and about 1 street bike available in the U.S. at that size), I would probably expect to pay $200-300 a year (130-194 GBP).

...as I said, however, I expect that there is a vast difference in the type and the nature of the insurance coverages.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi new to the whole forum thing but, im 17 and have just bought a WR125 x and the insurance on that cost me £800 but the quotes i had ranged from 800 to £2500!

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the epic bump, but I thought I would mention that for me (19 years old, girl, unempoloyed) it would cost me £206 to insure a YZF-R125. Reading this thread, I don't understand why all you guys have had really high quotes! Although, I've only put in for Third Party Only

People may have overlooked this but maybe www.gocompare.com? And your location will not help but really thats a stupid amount of money even for me my insurance was only £320 maybe try going for Third party fire and theft?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

That was from Benetts but yes, I will shop around and I will do it by phone as speaking to a person is always better!

But for now, can someone give me a rough estimation of what I should be paying? I mean, what is normal for a Yamaha R125, 33 year old first time rider in London with no garage? Just a ball-park figure?

I have no idea! Are MCN any good as bike insurers?

Thanks

Malthus101

Well Malthus my dad who is 54 so not as young as you is paying around £150 for his R125 annually fully comp. And we live in a town and it's garaged. So for where you live around £400-£600 TPFT would be average I would say. *ANECDOTE* My friend was even quoted £350 third party because his bike will be outside. Just to put things into perspective

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

I'm looking to buy my first bike and I want it to be the R125.

I've found one I love that costs £3600 new.

However, because they ran out of UK models, the dealership got a European version in. Same price but has a different paint job that I like more than the UK ones! That's the only difference.

I went home, typed in the spec for insurance and got a quote of £1700 a year! This is ridiculous! I am 33, not a 17 year old! Could some of you with experience of these things tell me which of the following facts are the most likely contributor to this high price (or is this a normal quote..?)

1. European bike not UK

2. My first bike

3. Won't be stored in a garage but outside my flat (in a courtyard not on the road)

4. Didn't say I had any alarms etc as I don't yet but would when I knew I was buying it

5. It's a Yamaha R125 so popular to steal

6. I live near to Brixton in London so this might put it into a high insurance bracket

7. I am self-employed (?)

Thanks, I really hope that £300-400 a year is a more liekly quote or else it's no bike for me!

Malthus101

alright mate iam with h&r insurence 400 fully comp for a year iam 22 and if i was to insure 3rd party 230 so try them as that is a joke as they just take the piss hope this helps moneysupermarket is the way to go as go compare and all that shit are 2 deer for me and ive been tryin insurence compinies for over 4 years and moneysuper,market have never let me down even for my cars ect

alright mate iam with h&r insurence 400 fully comp for a year iam 22 and if i was to insure 3rd party 230 so try them as that is a joke as they just take the piss hope this helps moneysupermarket is the way to go as go compare and all that shit are 2 deer for me and ive been tryin insurence compinies for over 4 years and moneysuper,market have never let me down even for my cars ect

also mate ment to say ive got 3 points 87.9mph in my punto gt i was lucky as was slowing down for cars in front was clocken nearly 135ish before i passed them bastards my own fault though hope this helps r125s are good mate iv e had mine over 1 and a half years and u just tweek it every couple ov months to keep u satisfied

I'm 22 YoA, 0 No Claims 3 accidents + claims and my insurance is £189 per year (£207 a year if in installments) fully comp, on my Yammy DT from perhaps you should try them?

I'm 22 YoA, 0 No Claims 3 accidents + claims and my insurance is £189 per year (£207 a year if in installments) fully comp, on my Yammy DT from http://www.hrinsurance.co.uk/ perhaps you should try them?

Jammy git.

29 y/o 1 accident ,1 theft, 0 no claims. better part of £500 third party fire and theft :angry:

• 2 months later...

Jammy git.

29 y/o 1 accident ,1 theft, 0 no claims. better part of £500 third party fire and theft  :angry:

21 y/o XJ6-s 09 (on 10 plate) , 0 accidents, 0 theft, 0 no claims, £1500 fully comp :angry:

23 y/o xvs bobber 125 04 plate, 0 accidents, 0 thefts, 6 years no claims, £65 TPFT B)

soz vez .....lol

what insurance company u with? im with rampdale but it is just tpft with no extras, (apart from legal cover)

soz vez .....lol

what insurance company u with? im with rampdale but it is just tpft with no extras, (apart from legal cover)

Aviva at present, not the cheapest (axa), because the cheapest screwed me over after my last accident. 

* looking into rampdale now ;)

lol well i havent had an accident with rampdale...so couldnt tell you what they are like if you need to make a claim but they do an agreed value with me....they just ask how much i think the bike is worth. last quote i got was £65 but that was with an agreed value of £500.

Don't think they want to insure me.

"Sorry, we have been unable to obtain a quote from any of the insurers we have on our web site for this particular risk.

Please use the REQUOTE option to change your details and run your quote again.If you prefer, you can click the 'Find Me A Quote' button. A copy of your details will be sent to us so that we can do our best to find you a quotation and email you the results as quickly as possible." :(

I may give them a call to make sure.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online