The XS500 gets a rebuild

cegan09
This post is 5012 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

an excellent question. that is one of the things i'm still looking for. Once i find one i will let you know.

Ahhh... competetion for the last remaining link, ha ha ha...

I too will let you know if I find some links.

Thank.

Don

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As you probably know, the earlier TX500 had design issues resulting in overheating problems. The cylinder heads were prone to damage. Since you have the heads off, clean the combustion chambers well,and with a magnifying glass take a good look at the area between adjoining valve seats for cracks. Check the gasket surface for warpage as well.

I always like to give credit to those who restore these unloved 500 twin orphans. The mid 70's TX/XS500 had a bit of a bad reputation so I am always pleased when someone takes on a nice restoration of this model.

As you probably know, the earlier TX500 had design issues resulting in overheating problems. The cylinder heads were prone to damage. Since you have the heads off, clean the combustion chambers well,and with a magnifying glass take a good look at the area between adjoining valve seats for cracks. Check the gasket surface for warpage as well.

I always like to give credit to those who restore these unloved 500 twin orphans. The mid 70's TX/XS500 had a bit of a bad reputation so I am always pleased when someone takes on a nice restoration of this model.

I was under the impression that the head issues got resolved at some point over the TX/XS500 life span? In fact i thought it was when they switched from the TX to XS model name. I'll check just the same, i'm just seeing if my history is correct. I do love the bike, it has a personality. So far that personality has been that of a 2 year old, throwing tantrums a lot, but when it wants to have fun, boy is it fun.

Finalized the frame details, dropping it off Friday for a nice gloss black finish. While it's out and i'm waiting for some engine bits to come in i'll be tinkering with a friends 1975 kawasaki KZ400 this weekend.

.......... i'll be tinkering with a friends 1975 kawasaki KZ400 this weekend.

ooh i had a z400 once, best leave it at that!!

ooh i had a z400 once, best leave it at that!!

I can't tell if that is implying a positive or negative experience. His isn't that bad. He actually owns 2, bought at the same time, both 1975, and both have under 5000 miles. We got one running in under 2 hours of refresh work (battery, quick carb clean, gas, oil, etc). That one we've ridden, and it's quite fun. Not much power (34 new?), but damn is it light and fun to tip through corners. The second one is the problem child. It has no spark (tested with known good plugs), and as such we haven't paid it much attention while we get the first to road worthy condition.

The good bike

5240_524230176652_29103205_31134000_862194_n.jpg

Well, frame is almost ready. Quick question for those that might know. How does the swing arm come off? I took off the bolt on the end of what i assume is the rod that goes through. But it doesn't want to come out. Do i just have to wail on it with something to get it started? I presume i should take out the grease fitting shown here.

DSC00579.jpg

Also, do the bottom parts of the steering bearing come out? (pictured below) I didn't want to pry on those and put dents in them. if the don't come out i'll just make sure the powder coater doesn't do that part. (yes these bearings were completely toast)

DSC00578.jpg

DSC00577.jpg

Got the damn swing arm off. I'll need a new swing arm shaft, threads are toast after the pounding, and there is surface pitting all over it. I'll probably be converting the swing arm to needle bearings instead of using bushings again.

DSC00593.jpg

DSC00595.jpg

Frame is loaded and i'm off to drop it for powder. should get it back looking better than new. :D

DSC00587.jpg

DSC00590.jpg

In the mean time it's on to the engine.

I wouldn't recommend needle bearing for that application. the swing arm only has limited movement and the loading on it is really suited towrds phosphor bronze bushes!!

New bushings it is then. I had just assumed that bearings would be better, but i see your point with loading.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the damn swing arm off. I'll need a new swing arm shaft, threads are toast after the pounding, and there is surface pitting all over it. I'll probably be converting the swing arm to needle bearings instead of using bushings again.

Just a recomendation for future when removing any shaft or bolt with a hammer put the nut back on but dont screw it in all the way so when you hit the end of the shaft/bolt you are hitting the nut insted and not the end of the bolt this will help with keeping the thred in good condition.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my frame back tonight, and i have a large box of parts arriving tomorrow. Plan is to have it in riding condition this weekend. Wish me luck.

DSC00606.jpg

what looks like scratches is just dust from my trunk.

DSC00609.jpg

DSC00610.jpg

Also purchased some nice rebuilt carbs, since mine are just littered with issues. I'll rebuild mine this summer as a spare set.

DSC00596.jpg

DSC00597.jpg

Bike still has a long way to go. I need to repaint all the blue bits, probably at the end of the summer. Going to start the tear down of the second engine soon to rebuild that to as close as factory new as i can. Need to order a lot of wire to custom make a harness. I want to move the ignition switch to somewhere else on the bike, as well as hide the harness better. It's going to be a long project, but i'm looking forward to it.

• 2 months later...

figured i'd give an update. My project is slow moving. The bike is together, and running. I'm working on getting the tuning right, and am getting closer. I did almost overheat the engine in traffic the other day, and need to investigate that i didn't damage anything, but i think it's fine. The kick start started to die, it's now very stiff, so i need to investigate that.

I purchased a second xs500 off another forum member today. With this purchase i now have 3 engines, and enough other parts to build 2 bikes. My plan is to build up two rock solid engines and 2 bikes. One will be the one in this thread, which will stay largely in the form it is in now. The second will be the one i bought today, and will be fully done up in cafe racer form. I will start a new thread later this year when i start on that project. My hope is to have one bike to use normally, and one to take to shows and ride on weekend rides.

pictures will come soon once i sort out the kick start.

Just a recomendation for future when removing any shaft or bolt with a hammer put the nut back on but dont screw it in all the way so when you hit the end of the shaft/bolt you are hitting the nut insted and not the end of the bolt this will help with keeping the thred in good condition.

I know it's way past this point but you could also us a slide hammer and pull the shaft out.

the problem might have been the same. The issue i had was that it was stuck to one side of the frame, and not the other. So every time i hit it, it would move a little on the nut side, and just flex the frame a bit without giving on the other. the solution was finally to tilt the frame on it's side, put a block of wood between the ground and frame, then hit. This forced all the energy into the bolt, and it came out.

also that bolt was so corroded and pitted that i was never going to use it again, so i didn't really care if it was damaged.

• 3 weeks later...

hey this thread is gonna help me a lot, i just bought the same bike 1975 xs 500 for 180$ yesterday! it needs a lot of work as well

sorry im not much help just wanted to say thanks for the thread and good luck