Help with my XTZ660 please

This post is 5284 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I have a 1993 XTZ660 Tenere and it was running very nicely. Recently it has developed an annoying habit of cutting out on idle when warmed up. Its fine for about the first 5 miles then whenever you stop after that, the revs drop to zero, she cuts out and is a b***h to restart until she's cooled down a little. I've had the fuel tank cap, the valve clearances, spark plug gap, idle and mixture settings all checked and its still happening. Could this be some kind of electrical coil problem? :( I am no mechanic so please help if you can.

Many thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, I have a 1993 XTZ660 Tenere and it was running very nicely. Recently it has developed an annoying habit of cutting out on idle when warmed up. Its fine for about the first 5 miles then whenever you stop after that, the revs drop to zero, she cuts out and is a b***h to restart until she's cooled down a little. I've had the fuel tank cap, the valve clearances, spark plug gap, idle and mixture settings all checked and its still happening. Could this be some kind of electrical coil problem? :( I am no mechanic so please help if you can.

Many thanks.

You may well have a problem with the coil, best thing to do is check the resistance of the ccoils when the bike is cold, then again when it won't run and see if you have a difference.

I only have the TTR600 manaual to go by, but I understand the coil is the same, so here are the valuse it should be :

Primary Coil = 4ohms +- 15%

Secondary Coil = 13K-Ohms +- 20%

Another problem I've seen in the HT lead where it screws into the coil, it can become dislodged. This (for me) normally makes starting difficult, but depending on how it looks you could get a problem when warming up??

There's not alot of XT owners on here, there are some very experienced XTZ owners on the HUBB -> http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ where you may find your answers. Use the search function as there is alot of XTZ information for all models, if you can't find what you are looking for then ask the question.

You may well have a problem with the coil, best thing to do is check the resistance of the ccoils when the bike is cold, then again when it won't run and see if you have a difference.

I only have the TTR600 manaual to go by, but I understand the coil is the same, so here are the valuse it should be :

Primary Coil = 4ohms +- 15%

Secondary Coil = 13K-Ohms +- 20%

Another problem I've seen in the HT lead where it screws into the coil, it can become dislodged. This (for me) normally makes starting difficult, but depending on how it looks you could get a problem when warming up??

There's not alot of XT owners on here, there are some very experienced XTZ owners on the HUBB -> http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ where you may find your answers. Use the search function as there is alot of XTZ information for all models, if you can't find what you are looking for then ask the question.

Many thanks for that. I'll pass this info on to the guy who takes care of my bike and I'll have a look on teh forum you mentioned.

Cheers........Stuart