xs500 dual front disc brake conversion

Jordan Mohawk Missiaen
This post is 5292 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there, I just picked up a 1976 yamaha xs500 DOHC for a couple hundred bucks and I am currently getting it stripped down to do a cafe conversion.

It runs great and shifts smooth, I actually rode it for most of the summer. My only complaint so far is the poor stopping power.

There is a mount for putting a second disc brake on the left fork leg and my wheel is able to take a second disc on the other side. I was wondering if I could just slap another caliper on and tee into the brake line, or will I need some sort of proportioning valve and a larger master cylinder to accommodate the extra fluid? I read somewhere that the xs500 had the option of dual discs at some point in it's history, but I've not been able to find any more than that. If I do in fact need a new master cyl. and such, am considering getting a set of brakes off an xs1100 that came stock with dual fronts. If the mounts dont work I can always machine a mount adapter.

Any thoughts, pointers or tips would be awesome.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: Jordan

you can use xs1100 master cyl and left caliper and mount or if you can't find the left side stuff, SR500 caliper mounts on the left side.

I tried the T pipe route but couldn't find room on an xs400 so used dual banjo on master cylinder ( no, not deer hunter music :rolleyes: )

drewps

:welcomel Jordan

you can use xs1100 master cyl and left caliper and mount or if you can't find the left side stuff, SR500 caliper mounts on the left side.

I tried the T pipe route but couldn't find room on an xs400 so used dual banjo on master cylinder ( no, not deer hunter music :rolleyes: )

drewps

so let me get this straight... I can use the current brake lever on the XS500 or I need to get a new one to use dual calipers? Also, are the XS1100 calipers the same as I have on my 500? I have found used calipers for the 1100 for around $20 on ebay.

Thanks

so let me get this straight... I can use the current brake lever on the XS500 or I need to get a new one to use dual calipers? Also, are the XS1100 calipers the same as I have on my 500? I have found used calipers for the 1100 for around $20 on ebay.

Thanks

no, i said you can use the xs1100 master cyl! the brake lever is irrelevant as its just a replacable part and common to all yam bikes of the era.

you need a left caliper and mount for the dual system, check the caliper pictures as some had a swinging caliper which is different from the floating caliper which I think you have!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online