Bogging Down when twisting throttle

chrismc101
This post is 5297 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've recently had my carbs cleaned & synced. When I start her, sometimes, I have to hold the throttle all the way open to keep her running. Then when she's running (warming up) when I twist the throttle; it boogs down or cuts off.

I know this is NOT suppose to happen when getting on the throttle. Can somebody, ANYBODY, please help me out. I'm new to riding and I want to get the kinks out of my 85 Maxim X and I want to have her running right. Has anubody else ran into a problem like this or can assist me with fixing my issue.

I thank you al in advance for you time & efforts.

chrismc101

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the forum Chris

Sounds like you've got plugged or dirty pilot jets still in those carbs :eusa_doh:

Did you have your carb service done by a reputable mechanic or dealer?...If so, I'd be after them to correct the problem.

TBH....it's scenario's like this that made me vow to do all my own bike work. <_<

A can of carb cleaner, a coupla screwdrivers, & a 10mm end-wrench can cure this prob. ;)

Willing to bet Item #12 is your guilty culprit.....

CARBURETOR.Gif

Could be that your float bowls are not full of fuel as you state the carbs have been stripped, I am assuming this bike has a vacuum operated petrol tap (petcock, gas tap). You need to set it to 'PRIME' for a while before switvhing to 'ON' position.

...Paul

Could be that your float bowls are not full of fuel as you state the carbs have been stripped, I am assuming this bike has a vacuum operated petrol tap (petcock, gas tap). You need to set it to 'PRIME' for a while before switvhing to 'ON' position.

...Paul

oldgitonabike, it has been on the ON position since I got it back from the guy who cleaned my carbs, but now feeling like he did partial cause I replaced my needles and seats in each carb. I wish he would have told me to get new jets cause I would have, the carbs were already broke down... I mean give me a break. But the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for." DAMN IT....

Please excuse me, lol.. this is my 1st bike. And she was house kept, not outside and it's pretty Maxim X with 34K original miles on her.

But I'm swithing to the PRI position as soon as I get home. I hope it's that simple but my luck isn't that good. What about if my bike is over heating and I just replaced the thermostat? I flushed the radiator out and put fresh water mixed equally with antifreeze. Good it be water pump? And my fan came on 1 times since I've rode it. Could that be a sensor gone or the fan motor? Hope it's a sensor vs the fan motor.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online