Over Heating & Fan Work Sometimes

chrismc101
This post is 5296 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just got my 1985 Yamaha Maxim X from my uncle. It sat in his kitchen, yes kitchen for at least 12 months. After getting my carbs done, I started her and rode her a lil on Sat. nite.

It wasn't long before she started to go into the red. Rode back down the street and the fan comes on. Rode for bout 10 more minutes and fan hasn't been back on since. But it still runs hot.

Could my thermostat be gone? Is this the true sign of a stuck thermostat or has the 24 year old thermostat called it quits? Since I did hear and see the fan come on, could that be a faulty wire on the fan motor?

Somebody help me please. I'm ready to ride my bike but I want her to be riding right; you know?

Thanks in advance.

chrismc101

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Could very well be the thermostat Chris....

It won't hurt anything to just remove it & ride it a little just to see if this cures your overheating issue.

Thermostats usually are fairly reasonable in price for whatever it's worth. ;)

Could very well be the thermostat Chris....

It won't hurt anything to just remove it & ride it a little just to see if this cures your overheating issue.

Thermostats usually are fairly reasonable in price for whatever it's worth. ;)

I replaced the thermostat on Thursday. The old one just looked back cause of the dirty water in radiator. It didn't look stuck, but I replaced it anyway. Rode for bout 10 minutes if that and heated up on me. So I parked it. I'm hoping not, but I think it might be the water pump. Me and my neighbor flushed my radiator out the other day and it was running. And with the cold water running thru, it didn't even heat up. So, to me; it kinda sound like the water pump; would you think? Just using common sence, if there is a purpose of the water pump, to pump the water to cool it off, not working; then that would equal over heating, right?

I want to, got to, fix my 85 up right, but I hope I can find a used pump, but new would be better.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online