Did I get the right shop manual for my bike?

londez
This post is 5288 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Last July I bought a bike from a guy off of craig's list. He said it was an 81, and the side panel read "400 special." Did a search on the internet and concluded that the model I had was an xs400 special. My dad went online and got me a shop manual for it (we're gonna have to fix the electric start at some point). The manual that he got me is a Haynes "YAMAHA xs250, 360, & 400 sohc Twins: 248cc~358cc~391cc. 1975 to 1984." The only 1981 391cc bike covered in the manual that also has "special" in the title is the "xs400 H Special II" so I assumed that that was the one I had.

The bike on the cover looks like mine, but in the section on changing oil it says that you are supposed to use the dipstick on the filler cap. My bike does not have a dipstick on the filler, but instead uses a sight glass on the side of the engine for checking oil levels. Is my bike a different xs400 special than the one covered in the shop manual, or is this just something overlooked in the manual or some kind of customization done by one of the previous owners? I just assumed it wasn't important.

I'm just a little worried cause I changed the oil with my pops yesterday and now my bike won't start. The book said that my bike used SAE 20w/50, so that's what we used. I first noticed the issue last night; it was forty degrees out but it always starts in this kind of whether on the first kick as long as I pull the choke out all the way. I tried it again about 30 min ago (it's 54 out) and no go. Honestly I think it's just an issue with the battery (had this prob a few weeks back, just charged the battery, althought the headlamp isn't as dim this time), but I wanted to make sure that I had the right manual and put the right oil in my bike.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ha ha, very funny :-). 4R4-013489. Does that sound like number we are looking for?

XS400SH model you can get an offical manual.

20w 40 over 5'C is listed for that model

drewps

XS400SH model you can get an offical manual.

20w 40 over 5'C is listed for that model

drewps

Crap! I guess we got wrong the manual then. The one we have said to use SAE 20w 50 and we did. Is this going to be a big problem?

PS: Sorry I haven't responded in so long, I've been occupied with fixing other things. I think there might be a gremlin hangin out in my house.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online