Foamys First Car?

wild foamy
This post is 5240 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

well folks, the time has come for me to think about buying a cage, within which to safely contain myself away from the bitter cold of winter, and prevent my genitals from shrinking and falling off due to frostbite.

now, ive got my theory test booked for the 14th November (was the earliest saturday i could find :() and i will be fitting in practical theory tests around my RAF Training, So my thoughts have now turned to which bitchin' ride i should get.

Ideally it needs to be an estate as i will be moving around a lot and need plenty of space (plus all the chavs have hot hatches and they are more expensive to insure), a decent sized engine as i will be doing lots of motorway mileage to and from home possibly towing a trailer (<750kg), but at the same time it needs to be good on fuel

so far i have found two vehicles i like the look of:

1 - Volkswagen Golf GL (1.6 Petrol, or 1.9 Diesel)

2 - Toyota Corolla Estate - (1.3 Petrol)

Insurance for both of these cars is estimated to be £2099.66, monthly payments of £175w/ £478 Deposit, i dont mind paying extra for insurance to get a car that im comfortable with.

does anyone have any opinons as to which cars i should look at?, or any experainces with the cars i am currently looking at. no real rush im just doing a bit of research is all ;)

regards

Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Steve,

That is the funniest description of avoiding the cold that I have ever heard!

Will it be a new car that you are buying?

Everyone has their own taste, but I think a Ford Focus could well be worth a look.

Just a suggestion, I am sure you will get plenty more.

I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Rosscoe

fords R shi-e. you should think about what is practical,ie will you need to carry things ,will it be a taxi for mum+dad ,or will you use it to impress your mates(vw golf) and end up turning it over or worse,as with a bike you need to think b4 you go out and purchase somthing impractical,i have a citreon piccaso because i have three dogs and three kids .if i were alone i would have a scooby too impress.but please choose practical and not to impress.

foamy, what you need is one of these:

the important thing here is

that, uh, you ask me what kinda car it is.

- Uh uh, what kinda car do ya' got?

- I've got a bitchin' Camaro...

(1.2.3.4)

Bitchin' Camaro, Bitchin' Camaro!

I ran over my neighbors

Bitchin' Camaro, Bitchin' Camaro!

Now I'm in all the papers

as mentioned a'fore, i will be moving a lot of sh*t around and probably towing a trailer, so an engine size of around 1.6 would be ideal.

tbh im more set on the Golf GL estate, bit of street cred and fairly practical.

the golf and the corolla are the only small sized estates i can find... without resorting to a volvo

Original Citroen Berlingo (van with windows), HDi version gives good enough performance & mpg and is Group 5 for insurance. Seats five real-sized people and carries all their luggage, or drop the back seats down and you've got a full-on van capable of swallowing whole motorbikes - recovered my NX650 Dominator in one when the CDI packed up (only had to take the mirrors off to get it in). Out for a day at the races and it starts raining? Pop open the boot lid and you can sit on the boot floor with a vast canopy over your head (if you're 6ft or less you can stand under it).

Street cred? Who gives a shit when you're in probably the most versatile vehicle on the road.

Yeah, I've taken 2 of them to 100,000 miles with no problems (and no backache).

I work in Lax autolease and the best value cars are skodas.

Octavia esate springs to mind. still a VW without the badge IMHO

Try looking at something like an Astra Van - probably about a quarter of the cost to insure....... and you wouldn't need to take a trailer!!

On the question od a trailer - are you sure you can tow upto 750Kg? I thought as a new driver you were restricted to 250Kg?, and to go beyond you'd need to take a further test.... but I might be wrong

how dare you mention volvo on this forum,go and wash your dirty mouth out .mad.gif you will want a flat cap next.huh.gif

how dare you mention volvo on this forum,go and wash your dirty mouth out .mad.gif you will want a flat cap next.huh.gif

haha, its comments like that that keep me going in these dark times, ive just been back-flighted 2 weeks in my RAF training so i could use a laugh atm.

the astra van sounds like a good idea, not 100% sure what the maximum weight is that i can tow without taking a further test but i think its 750kg as my brother looked into it last year before he lost his license (muppet), but will check if/when the time comes.

Good advice here from the others foamy i had 3 golfs then got a seat toledo cos the missus needing summat bigger and it was a lot cheaper than a passat, we had 2 toledos bags of room in em cheap to buy VW reliability, and we are now on our 3rd leon diesel all reliable workhorses out handle the golf any day and if you go for the cordoba vario it is an estate

merv

Transit van, peanuts to buy cheap to run parts found in every scrappy, use the stuff from old sierra's to make it go and with some paneling and carpet, added to a night heater from a truck you can sleep and get laid in it too.

Well its what i did.

Hmm, didnt think of that... but wont that be expensive to insure at 17? :S, or will i even be able to get insurance on a commercial vehicle at such a young age?

plus, i want something i slam to the ground and pack out with a sound system, not sure the birds would appreciate me turning up in a transit...

plus, i want something i slam to the ground and pack out with a sound system, not sure the birds would appreciate me turning up in a transit...

Eats shoots and leaves, and no I'm not talking about a panda!

dont be duped by him girls

Image019.jpg

Hmm, didnt think of that... but wont that be expensive to insure at 17? :S, or will i even be able to get insurance on a commercial vehicle at such a young age?

You don't insure it as a comercial vehicle do you duh. Come on man use the system. Tell them you have seats in it, becomes a people carrier. Keep it under 7 (including the driver) though or you will be a bus.

And dont forget you can pack a MONSTER sound system in a transit van. Its essentially a sierra (cortina if you want to be picky) underneath so you can slam it into the ground, wheels off a cosie. Bit of paint, bet there is plenty of blue at your place. As for babe magnet, i'm sure the ladies will agree here, on a cold evening bit of rain about you will be amazed what the ladies will prefer, spotty's cramped go faster shit heap or a warm dry 'room' where you can chill out with your mates and have the tunes up loud.

They do around a ton if they are healthy with a bit of extra boost. Or dig around for a V6 (ambulance/emergency services) and get it lpg'd, 130mph van?

Or back to the first point, its cheap and you can carry all your cr@p in it and it is good on fuel. At the end of the day as far as babe magnet goes isn't that the uniform. B)

WF....Vans are the Mutz Nutz dood! B)

Sure wish I still had mine....

67Chevy_Van.jpg

Could haul 3 bikes & ALL the gear for riding....

Also made a great rolling locker-box for SKI trips. :thumb:

What about a Land Rover?? Or a Mercedes Van - one of those like a people carrier ith seats in - my brother has one but i cant remember what it is off the top of my head.

think about buying a SHED, get a car that im comfortable with.

Yeh stevey mate " show loyalty to the Foamy Rheich ,, here it is .

110-trabant.jpg