An FZR600 question from a novice.....please help

pjones_po
This post is 7221 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

All,

I am new to this forum and wanted to pick everyones brain.

I have just put a deposit down here in the UK on a 1994 model FZR600. I have been checking various insurance websites and it seems I should have found out something before they closed which is what brings me here.

According to the insurers websites there was an FZR600 Genesis which was made roughly 1989-1994 and an FZR600R which was made from 1994 onwards which is where my confusion lies as mine is a 1994 model.

All I can do to help give people a clue is that mine looks identical to the one that user "dai21t" has posted pics of having sprayed it a lovely electric blue colour. It has the twin headlights but not round ones, they are the odd shape ones with what looks like a tiny 3rd light above in the middle.

I am assuming as mine looks like his it is therefore the newer FZR600R but I wanted to be sure as I cannot get back to the garage till Wednesday to find out.

Also can anyone give me any rough performance figures for this bike i.e Power Output etc etc. Also any comments or warnings about these bikes would be grately appreciated.

Paul Jones

:o)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

it is the Foxeye version, only made from 94-96 the thundercat superseeded it. performance wise, mine was level 3 dyno jetted and i achieved (off road of course) 152mph, roughly had 90Bhp at the rear wheel and i have to say is the most under rated motorcycle about.

btw i was paying £120 tpft back in `95-96.

HTH

oh and :hi

I've got a couple of mags from when the bike was launched, can scan the articles and email them to you if you want. Think 0-60 was 4.2 and 1/4mile in 12.8 @120mph.

I've put a 1 tooth smaller sprocket on the front, think it was 15teeth std, has transformed the bike, just lose a bit of top end which is never used anyway.

Dai

As for problems, check the brakes are ok, the master cylinder on mine was faulty, caused brakes to come on on their own on the motorway, cost about £350 to sort out cos it dished the discs and cooked the pads. Otherwise mines been fairly reliable, changed the chain and sprockets, cost about £85 for x ring one from local yam dealer.

And check the downpipes, mine were full of holes, new stainless ones are about £170, but I just welded mine.

Dai

Thanks for that people....

If its the "Foxeye" version then that adds more confusion, I have 3 choices on the websites :

Yamaha FZR600

Yamaha FZR600 Genesis

Yamaha FZR600R

I dont wanna tell them its the 600R and get a higher price than it should be but Id like to know once and for all, especially if its not mentioned on the logbook.

Many Thanks

Paul.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online