Help needed. Desperatley.

FZ400_phil
This post is 5301 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey there everyone. I'm stuck. I have just finished re-building my 1985 FZ400. Got it all back together and looking great. The problem is I took it out for the first time yesterday down some back roads to make sure everything was ok for the MOT. But..... After no more than 5mins of riding the battery went flat. It was fully charged before i went out. It started fine and idled well. but when it came to accelerating the power was allover the place. Major back fires. Like a firework display. Also it got really hot and the engine was smoking bad. I don't know whether the water pump and radiator is plumbed in correctly. I can't find any info on it anywhere. Any advice or feedback much appreciated. If anyone can tell me why the battery died so quickly that would be great. Many thanks Phil.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey there everyone. I'm stuck. I have just finished re-building my 1985 FZ400. Got it all back together and looking great. The problem is I took it out for the first time yesterday down some back roads to make sure everything was ok for the MOT. But..... After no more than 5mins of riding the battery went flat. It was fully charged before i went out. It started fine and idled well. but when it came to accelerating the power was allover the place. Major back fires. Like a firework display. Also it got really hot and the engine was smoking bad. I don't know whether the water pump and radiator is plumbed in correctly. I can't find any info on it anywhere. Any advice or feedback much appreciated. If anyone can tell me why the battery died so quickly that would be great. Many thanks Phil.

The battery sounds like the alternator. Timing could do the rest. Also check the thermostat.