1976 XS500 Help!!

Nick from Illinois
This post is 5285 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi i'm Nick from Illinois - I just bought a 76 XS500 seems in good shape but not running.I only paid 150.00 with a good title. I've read alot about this bike and see it had several problems oil leaks and such hard to get parts but I've always wanted to ride so here i go...this is my first bike so i do have a few questions...1st what kind of Oil should i put in it? synthetic? weight? and how about a filter? oil and air filters - where do i find them? and a new tank the one on it is FULL of rust..I empted and rinsed it but it is still FULL.I don't really like the Square style can i just buy a new one / where? or is it possible to get this one working again? ok and is there a FREE manual online somewhere that i can use to answer other questions i have or do i have to pay for one? that's it guys thanks for ANY info like i said this is my first bike.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

O yeah I forgot..I took a few parts off the bike and was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying them? or knew how much they might be worth. A luggage rack with a passenger back rest with the black leather(fake leather i think)bag attached.I also took off a set of Hwy Bars.Thanks again!

O yeah I forgot..I took a few parts off the bike and was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying them? or knew how much they might be worth. A luggage rack with a passenger back rest with the black leather(fake leather i think)bag attached.I also took off a set of Hwy Bars.Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

I also just bought a '76 xs500, but mine was running. I'm planning on stripping it down and re-building it this winter to be more of a cafe racer.

if you want to send me your email address I have a PDF copy of the manual that I bought, but I'll gladly give it to you. It has specifics about oil and such in there I think, I haven't studied it that much though so I'm not exactly sure. Engine oil is 20W/40 at or above 60 degrees F or 10W/30 below that. Though I'm riding 20W/40 and it was 45 today. Air filters I found on ebay for $10 each, just universal cone type (I think it was 52mm ID) As for seals, I have a crank case leak that needs a new gasket, and I still have not found one so if you find a place with seals, let me know.

Hope this helps.

~Jordan

you need to check yamahatopdog ( speed sport) for parts, but you'll find it easier with parts numbers

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online