SR125 gnarly Top End

Joffie
This post is 5293 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Should the bike be scrapped??  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Should I....

• Fix it
    • Pay someone else to make the repairs
    • Dump it and move on

Ok Yamaha fiends, please help out if at all poss.

Here's the situation: My 'beloved' Yamaha SR125, which has seen me good for a year has recently started giving problems.

Firstly, there was the dropped exhaust valve caper. Next, a broken float bowl. Then, another thousand miles of motoring before this: Started burning oil, so I got the barrel checked out and on good advice had a rebore done.

That was last weekend. I managed to get everything back in good order or so I thought. Stood fine on tick-over for about 15 mins.

I took her out for a spin and this is how she responded:

Seemed Absolutely fine at low throttle and in the first gears 1 - 3.

When building up speed to change to 4th there seemed a power loss, and upon changing to 5th the engine cut out, it was very disconcerting.

So there was this squeaking noise, I figured it was possibly a leaking gasket so took her back and begun work again the Sunday, to fix this.

Second time out the same thing happened.

Took the top-end off this afternoon and discoveres horriblke looking traces of burnout on the cam bush. The squeaking was not it turns out from leaking gasket but from a lubrication problem I suspect.

Currently one of the rockers is seized and I've got a chap to help pull out the rocker rods. Tomorrow we will know.

Meanwhile I'm searching for any tips or advice from folks who've had this kind of problem theirself, like how did it come to this, how to fix it and so on. Yes I know I've been a muppet about this, but please let me know if you have any ideas Many thanks. lol

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok Yamaha fiends, please help out if at all poss.

Here's the situation: My 'beloved' Yamaha SR125, which has seen me good for a year has recently started giving problems.

Firstly, there was the dropped exhaust valve caper. Next, a broken float bowl. Then, another thousand miles of motoring before this: Started burning oil, so I got the barrel checked out and on good advice had a rebore done.

That was last weekend. I managed to get everything back in good order or so I thought. Stood fine on tick-over for about 15 mins.

I took her out for a spin and this is how she responded:

Seemed Absolutely fine at low throttle and in the first gears 1 - 3.

When building up speed to change to 4th there seemed a power loss, and upon changing to 5th the engine cut out, it was very disconcerting.

So there was this squeaking noise, I figured it was possibly a leaking gasket so took her back and begun work again the Sunday, to fix this.

Second time out the same thing happened.

Took the top-end off this afternoon and discoveres horriblke looking traces of burnout on the cam bush. The squeaking was not it turns out from leaking gasket but from a lubrication problem I suspect.

Currently one of the rockers is seized and I've got a chap to help pull out the rocker rods. Tomorrow we will know.

Meanwhile I'm searching for any tips or advice from folks who've had this kind of problem theirself, like how did it come to this, how to fix it and so on. Yes I know I've been a muppet about this, but please let me know if you have any ideas Many thanks. lol

Hi,

Oh deer

did you remember to bleed the oil system after you did Firstly, there was the dropped exhaust valve caper. Next, a broken float bowl. Then, another thousand miles of motoring before this: Started burning oil, so I got the barrel checked out and on good advice had a rebore done. Sr engine is good if repaired/serviced in the correct way which I guess you have missed a point ... tbh strip the whole thing down & replace all worn parts and it will run again as it it did from new

Regards Jim

Hi,

Oh deer

did you remember to bleed the oil system after you did Firstly, there was the dropped exhaust valve caper. Next, a broken float bowl. Then, another thousand miles of motoring before this: Started burning oil, so I got the barrel checked out and on good advice had a rebore done. Sr engine is good if repaired/serviced in the correct way which I guess you have missed a point ... tbh strip the whole thing down & replace all worn parts and it will run again as it it did from new

Regards Jim

Hi Jim, Thanks for that, absolutely spot on.

Isnt it a bitch, all that work wasted for forgetting to loosen one bolt for a few minutes!!!

"Homer Simpson at DIY" moment, Duuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh.

If you get rid of it and need another 125, and I know I may be shot for saying this, you can't get more bullet-proof than a CG125. Ouch!

But, if I were you i'd fix it. Any bike described as 'beloved' lol, cannot be parted with.

Best of luck with it

P

If you get rid of it and need another 125, and I know I may be shot for saying this, you can't get more bullet-proof than a CG125. Ouch!

But, if I were you i'd fix it. Any bike described as 'beloved' lol, cannot be parted with.

Best of luck with it

P

Hi,

I guess a 5 speed CG ? try the four speed .. I've seen many a banana shaped push rod from them, along with gearbox problems :huh: but each to their own ! :D

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online