XT Dilemma!

Pete
This post is 6129 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Pete,

This will be the 1000 twin. The SV 650 is a better engine. On worming their way out of problems, I don't think after my CB13 experiences that Honda are any better in this regard.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

David Jones has got a V-Strom there now. Did you consider one Alan?

BTW...there's a rumour going round that Kawasaki are going to produce a V-Strom clone next year as part of their "partnership" with Suzuki. Anybody heard about this?

Kawasaki's VStrom 1000 is already around. Virtually identical, even down to the Suzuki engine plate.

There was a 650 VStrom at DJs when I bought the XT. I didn't consider it, as it is a road bike in disguise without much oomph. Compared to the CB13 it would have seemed tame and puny. I wanted a traily, where big power isn't an issue.

I have ridden the DL1000 and it was OK, but nothing special, a bit bulky and I would say a good Motorway, Dual Carriageway bike. Not my cup of tea at all.

Had a look around nothing fits the bill.

The V-Strom looks like a road bike to me....and it's a Shitzuki.

The Transalp appears to be underpowered and have oil consumption issues. I'm amazed at that cos I've owned 12 Hondas and not one of them has ever used any oil.

Kwak don't make anything, and tbh I really don't think they're interested in their Motorcycle Division any more.

So....the XT is staying where it is. Now if Yam introduced a 750 V-Twin adventure tourer that would be just right.

Hondas ain't what they used to be. In confidence an industry insider said that their build quality was now no better than and in some cases worse than other makes and all they really have going for them is their Premium Brand reputation.

My CB13 experience bears this out. I know of an 8000 mile Blackbird that is completely shagged cosmetically - corrosion everywhere and it doesn't run too well either. One of my daughter's friends has a Y Reg CBR600 - 20,000 miles - the suspension is gone, it jumps out of gear on acceleration and all surfaces are oxidised. Frankly, if this is what you get after 20,000 miles and 4 years with a CBR600, why not get a GSX600F Suzuki which will look as bad and bounce as bad, but will still be reliable after the same amount of time.

On the XT - you are quite right. There is NOTHING out there to compare or compete. The road tests from every type of mag on the new XT confirm its excellence. MCN head to head with a KTM and CCM - XT wins. Moto Mag - XT wins. Rave reviews in the USA asking for it to be released over there and at its launch the Journos were riding them in preference to the new R1.

Nuff said. I haven't slept since Thursday night ...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i just had a look around a v-strom in a bike shop, very nice btw, i'd really consider one in future. @pete, you said a while ago about how big the panel on the front of them is, you're right :shock: there's so much infront of that seat, still a cool looking bike from all other angles though 8) btw, i even sat on a 600 bandit and liked it 8) :lol: :roll: you want to have seen the look on the guys face when i mentioned oil burning 12's :lol: :roll: :twisted:

btw, i even sat on a 600 bandit and liked it 8)  :lol: :roll:  

Better watch it there Alan....sounds like the HERMANATOR has started to rub off on you 8) :lol:

Good call Pete. There is absolutely nothing out there to touch these XTs. They are simply brilliant. My 150 miles today was done in comfort, as fast as I wanted on the A Roads (easily capable of quick 80mph+ overtakes)and, more importantly, very good on the small bumpy single track roads I love to explore.

Are we to now correct to assume that this whole scenario with your XT, might just NOT be a dilema, like the thread title suggest's :?: :wink: :D

Yeh the XT will stay....certainly I could do with more power cos I'm 2 up most of the time, but changing to something which is quicker will make me lose out on the other aspects of riding an XT. Pity they don't still make the Super Tenere really....they've still got a huge following in Europe.

• 2 years later...

Iv'e just been out and bought one. I needed something for a 60+mile daily commute and after test riding different bikes this one was spot on. Should pick it up at the end of the week :D

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a dualsport John....it's a road bike.

I saw a guy do the Tarenig rally in May, and anyone there will tell you it was a tough event :blink: . Go for an XTZ750 ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online