Gutted but glad

Fahren
This post is 5299 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Today is a sad day, my lovely 22yr old FZ600 is no more...some nice chap in a car decided he would turn right across my path and ruin my day......end result of 30mph impact is my bike has been totalled, front end bent n busted, fairing shattered and frame bent and cracked...thats the gutted bit, the glad bit is, i was wearing most of my gear and just got a few strains, scrapes and bruises and one cracked rib! My boots saved me from a broken leg but the armour plate in the shin is cracked...what a day!!

I have spent a few hundred on this bike restoring it in the last 2 months to see it mangled and leaking in the road!!

Driver was in tears cos he thought he'd killed me and admitted it was his fault..pfft never sent me any flowers or Chocs though...ahh well guess i will be without a bike for sometime, dont think im gonna find another FZ600.

So always wear ur gear guys n gals...dont need to tell the experienced bikers that cos u know, but i see many new riders wearing only t-shirts n shorts!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you re ok mate thnak your lucky stars for that much, now start trawling fleabay another FZr will turn up and dont grab the first one you see wait til you get a nice un and pay a bit more it will work out cheaper in the long run

Cheers guys n gals, if i can get a link up ill post some pics which could be used to promote the wearing of all gear, i think some of these new riders of today think a low speed smash wont hurt them.....just had a good look at the bike and gave it a big hug cos it took most of the damage the frame is cracked and bent in four places ive not long paid for a brand new tyre on the back only done 500m on it, hope i can get it back as salvage cos my bro could use alot of the undamaged parts...engine still runs aswell...although it sounds bloody loud cos the pipes have come away from the block...matey in the car phoned me up to appologise and said he would sort out the insurance and wanted to know if i was alright, which was unexpected but pretty decent of him...he said he had to get his car towed all the way to leeds....think i might purchase a Panza trike next :lol:

Take care all and thanks again!!

Glad to hear you're ok, thats the main thing.

I'm sure you're gutted about the bike, but your health is the main thing.

As you say, try to get bike back from insurance company for spares, it should be easy enough.

At least the driver has accepted liability and seems to be a reasonable person. Some people can be real bastards after a prang.

Glad to hear you're ok honey. ;)

And you're right - people dont think they will get hurt in a low speed impact. 3 years ago my friend lost his arm in a 30mph smash after a myopic bint pulled out on him. He was wearing all his bike gear, but the speed of both vehicles combined and the speed his body hit her car when he was flung off resulted in his muscles and tendons in his shoulder and upper arm being torn off. Bascically his arm was severed, and only held together by the skin. His leg was also shattered and he spent months in hospital.

If people don't wear the right gear then its their own fault IMHO - and just plain stupid.

It's their own fault, but also their right... much as I grumble about it.

Great that you're here to tell the tale, Fahren.

You get any witnesses to him admitting liability?

Hope it goes well and you get back on the road with a nice big payout very soon, mate!!!

i think some of these new riders of today think a low speed smash wont hurt them.....

people dont think they will get hurt in a low speed impact.

16Yrs old, jeans, crappy jacket £20 lid, but propper gloves (??) that was me on my first bike a 50cc Suzuki trail thing. Arsing about with my stepbrother and I came off at around 20mph in a place I shouldn't been. walked away with nothing but a bloody knee...

after the nurse had finished extracting the gravel from it a week late (after the infection set in)and I'd recovered from the renewed pain, the doctor suggested that I wear some propper attire, less next time I may not be so lucky.

Now 24 years later on, I still have no feeling in the left side of my right knee - reminds me every day to put the right stuff on.

It's their own fault, but also their right... much as I grumble about it.

Tis true, if the only person it hurts is you them whats the problem? But the human race has only progressed because those who have learned valuble lessons have passed on the wisdom to those willing to listen.

My problem is with those that ignor advice, fall off then try to sting someone else because they've suffered and want some compensation to make the pain of the skin graft go away.....

I'd like to see the legal system make allowences for this. i.e. if you have an accident and your injuries could have been avoided or reduced by the use of protective equipment, then it's your own tough luck. Wouldn't take away choice, but it might make a few more people think, and lets face it, it's the one who don't think that are normally the problem!

Any accident you walk away from is a good one.

I hope my accident (and I believe everyone has one coming, sooner or later) will be a good one.

I did a 150 mile lap of north devon yesterday, sun was out and every town i went through i saw at lest one scooter rider old or young in t shirt, shorts, and helmet only idiots is all i can say

merv

I did a 150 mile lap of north devon yesterday, sun was out and every town i went through i saw at lest one scooter rider old or young in t shirt, shorts, and helmet only idiots is all i can say

merv

Yep, same up this end of the rock too mate ... I was at Rivington Barn near Bolton, Lancs on Sunday ... there were a few young lads on mopeds / scooters riding in t shirts, cheap lids and no gloves .... so I thought I would offer some friendly advise .... only to be sneered at .... they thought it was funny ...

You just cant help some folk!!!!

Bet they would be crying for their Mummys if they did have a spill.....

I still bear the scar from my one and only off .... full gear every time, no exeptions!!!

I'd like to get some of these people who wear jeans and T shirts and trainers etc to the prosthetic and orthotic clinic im at at the mo just to see what effect even a slow speed smash can have.

It ranges from folk wearing orthotic devices to help them correct deformations caused by one of their joints twisting in the wrong direction or fracturing thus causing them long term trouble and, in extreme cases, flail limbs - to full amputation of limbs caused by infections sustained from gravel rash and severe tissue, muscle and tendon damamge etc.

merv

These pricks make me angry.

But very few of these are really bikers, they're just chavs looking a way to get around.

But very few of these are really bikers, they're just chavs looking a way to get around.

Ain't that the truth.

Too much money, not enough sense! These are the Clio/Corsa/Nova drivers of the future, there's not much you can do, 'cept maybe spay them all to end the gene pool...

Here's another one to the list:

Woman I know of, from a forum I no longer frequent, came off whilst wearing jeans.

We'd all hammered those who don't wear kit, her included. She still chose to rode this way.

Her leg was 'de-gloved'.

In short, the skin all around it was stripped off, as if it were a glove she'd been wearing.

This was a good while ago and I still don't believe she's back on her feet.

By comparison, a friend of mine came off at a mere 15mph.

Due to the circumstances, he lost his leg. He went on to become one of Essex's best Advanced Riding Instructors.

Here's another one to the list:

Woman I know of, from a forum I no longer frequent, came off whilst wearing jeans.

We'd all hammered those who don't wear kit, her included. She still chose to rode this way.

Her leg was 'de-gloved'.

In short, the skin all around it was stripped off, as if it were a glove she'd been wearing.

This was a good while ago and I still don't believe she's back on her feet.

By comparison, a friend of mine came off at a mere 15mph.

Due to the circumstances, he lost his leg. He went on to become one of Essex's best Advanced Riding Instructors.

Had a rider on a forum I frequent on this side of the pond that went down involving a semi truck and trailer, and the trailer went over her and the bike. She was wearing full gear, but didn't have the jacket and pants zipped together and it pulled the pants down and de-gloved on leg and partially de-gloved the other. She is still in hospital three months later dealing with skin grafts and physical therapy. The lesson here is it's not good enough to just wear the gear, but you need to wear it correctly with it all fastened together so it doesn't come apart in an accident.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online