My Velocettised 1981 XS400 Cafe Racer

infrapista
This post is 5114 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Here some pictures of my 1981 XS400 Cafe Racer Modding.

I do that thinking about Velocette Black Venom Classic Cafe Racer Style : Black, Gold & Chrome.

New Old Stock parts are :

- Italian Universal Front Fender;

- 1978 125GT Suzuki Giuliari Seat;

- Dragbar;

- Short Megaton Muffler;

- Short Rear Fender;

- Home made Licence Plate Holder;

- Koni shock absorber;

The Velocettised Tank Logo was design by Gary from "Do The Ton" site

The paint job was done by myself with paint gun can.

All the rest is Yamaha XS400 Stock parts.

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

Here the Original inspiration Black Venom Velocette

velocette2.jpg

Here my little XS400

DSC00003.jpg

Tell me what are you thinking about ???

Best regards from Belgium, infrapista

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I do that thinking about Velocette Black Venom Classic Cafe Racer Style : Black, Gold & Chrome.

- Dragbar;

- Short Megaton Muffler;

- Short Rear Fender;

- Koni shock absorber;

I love it, very tastefully done in the cafe racer style. The seat looks as it was made for that bike.

Are those Metzeler tyres you have on? how do find them & what sizes are you using?

kind regards

Dave

I love it, very tastefully done in the cafe racer style. The seat looks as it was made for that bike.

Are those Metzeler tyres you have on? how do find them & what sizes are you using?

kind regards

Dave

Yes these tyres are Metzeler PERFECT 77 300x18 front and 350X18 rear, i found it in Germany.

I am very glad with this 125GT Suzuki Giuliari seat, i found that have the very good size for the bike.

The real Yamaha XS Giuliari seat is very too large for the bike, i have seen a bike with it, none in my taste !!!

To mount the Suzuki seat i have done some little cut at the rear frame.

Here some pictures :

2009-05-21011.jpg

2009-05-21012.jpg

2009-05-21018.jpg

2009-05-21020.jpg

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad169/infrapista/seat7.jpg

2009-05-21017.jpg

love the styling and its great to see what people do to these versatile bikes.

bobbers, chops, caferacers, trackers, seen most of these but yours is "one of a kind" well done!

love the styling and its great to see what people do to these versatile bikes.

bobbers, chops, caferacers, trackers, seen most of these but yours is "one of a kind" well done!

Thank you very much friend, i have done my best and cheapest as possible.

This bike cost me about 1000 euros, purchasing bike include :

300 euros for the bike on ebay.de + or - 700 euros on small parts (seat, color can, muffler, rear light, etc...) all found on ebay cheapest as possible all around the world : India, Australia, Uk, Germany, USA etc...

It really was a game to find all parts at the best price (it take me about 6 month, and building bike about 10 days !!!)

Regards from Belgium, infrapista

My next project will be a real Basic Bobber, i would like to find an other XS400, perheps a XS Special for it...

These little XS400 Yamaha are very good bike for many easy and cheap project and are very funny to drive too.

Best regards, infrapista

My next project will be a real Basic Bobber, i would like to find an other XS400, perheps a XS Special for it...

These little XS400 Yamaha are very good bike for many easy and cheap project and are very funny to drive too.

Best regards, infrapista

check this baby out

xs400chop.jpg

also here

http://www.rattlers.co.nz/page2.html

Hey mate, awesome cafe racer! Where did you get the megaphones from? I'm after something exactly like that.

seen them on ebay all the time about £60

universal silencers, they are reverse cone megs, if you want more sound go for the open megs :lol:

drewps

Hey mate, awesome cafe racer! Where did you get the megaphones from? I'm after something exactly like that.

I found it on ebay, these megaphones are very cheap, very short and very noisy, i don't call them silencer!!!

To mod them as street legal i have done a little home made transformation : short pipe with drag pipe baffle on it.

Here some pictures of this job :

2009-05-21024.jpg

2009-05-21025.jpg

2009-05-21026.jpg

2009-05-21027.jpg

With this little modding you have a better size look megaphone, and the bike is near street legal ( a little less noisy)

• 5 months later...

Hi there

Love what you did with your bike. It seems you got a pre 82 base and a past 82 head?

I urgently need a workshop manual, can you help? Sent to [email protected]

Thanx

coenie

- Dragbar;

- Short Megaton Muffler;

- Short Rear Fender;

- Koni shock absorber;

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

Here the Original inspiration Black Venom Velocette

velocette2.jpg

Here my little XS400

DSC00003.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I love your bike.

I keep coming back to stare at the pictures. I like that you did all this without spending a lot of money, I am trying to do the same on my XS400 (not spend a lot of money) I keep thinking that you should make a plate out of aluminium and mount it behind the top of the rear shock. That will make it look like the top shock adjuster on the Velocette. A set of spoked wheels would look good to. Now if only you could find someone to make you a set of fishtail mufflers out of stainless steel?? :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I love your bike.

I keep coming back to stare at the pictures. I like that you did all this without spending a lot of money, I am trying to do the same on my XS400 (not spend a lot of money) I keep thinking that you should make a plate out of aluminium and mount it behind the top of the rear shock. That will make it look like the top shock adjuster on the Velocette. A set of spoked wheels would look good to. Now if only you could find someone to make you a set of fishtail mufflers out of stainless steel?? :rolleyes:

I agree with your advise XS-Time. I would also lower the headlight, it seems like its raised to high for the lines of the bike. Maybe add some fork gaiters as well. Just an opinion though. Other than that I absolutely love the simplicity of this build, with a result of a high dollar bike. Congratulations on the build!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online