XVS650 DRAGSTAR ENGINE CUT OUT WONT START !

cruiser650
This post is 5330 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here, 1st post, guess what I've got a problem !!

Have had 7 yamahas since 17 and am now getting back into them at 45 !!

Started with an XS250 all the way up to a VMAX1200 FULL POWER Scary !!

Anyway, settled with a XVS650 1997 Dragstar am am loving it !!

Had it 4 weeks now and took my wife out on it today for a 12 mile ride in the country, she loved it !!

Came home and took my 18 year old daughter out for a spin. Got 1 mile from home approaching lights and it just cut out !! 100 yards from lights, pulled in clutch and freewheeled to a halt. Tried starter button--nothing. Selected neutral pulled in clutch--nothing. Switched off lights and tried again--nothing. Lights DON'T dim when starter depressed. Pushed home whilst trying to bump start. Engine turned over, 2nd gear and ignition switch on but would not fire at all. Dark outside so will look tomorrow but just wondered if anyone had any ideas ?? My only thought now is a main fuse as the ignition systems seems compleatly dead. Is there just the one fuse to check and why would it blow (if it has?) Lost a bit of confidence in her now as glad it didn't fail 12 miles from home--long push !!

Any comments appriciated, thanks in advance, Graham. :crying:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My contribution would be

Check the emergency cut off switch.

The bike stand cut off switch could be faulty or stuck.

I'm sure there are loads of other things too.

Hope you sort it.

Thanks for the reply Peter but it was simpler than that--she'd blown the main 10 amp ignition fuse so nothing too technical thank goodness !

New one in and away she went. Rode her for a few miles this morning all ok. Strange why it should blow after using her for 4 weeks no problem ? The only difference was that this was the first time I'd taken anyone as a pillion ! Wife said must have been the extra weight of my daughter !! cheeky mare, shes only 8.5 stone. Wasen't as if the bike was under load as I'd just backed off the throttle on approuching traffic lights. Anyone else had this problem as the family is now reluctant to ride pillion !! The thought of pushing her home again is a bit off putting never mind the danger of cutting out on the road !! know I shouldn't do it but very tempting to put in a 15 amp fuse if it was just a spike of amps but would probably fry something else.

Thoughts turn to the regulator. Don't really understand it but I think converts AC from the engine to DC to charge the battery--could that cause a spike if it malfunctioned ? Don't know, just grasping at straws now as it's nothing obvious--just have to be on my guard and carry a handfull of fuses !!

Once again any ideas welcome !

Graham.

Carry a set of spare fuses with you Graham.

My 950 is a 2009 model but ive always got spare fuses with me cos you never know honey.

If its running fine now youhave replaced the fuse, just see how you go. If it does it again, then look for otehr things that might be causing it. But as i said, carry fuses. I have a spare set under me seat just in case ;)

Thanks for that Goff,

Yes I've been down to Halfrauds and bought 4 !!

Just in case !

WOW just looked at your profile !!

What a lot of Tattoos !!

Lovely bike too.

Just trying to upload some pics but too big !

Any advice as how to make them smaller ??

Thanks. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that Goff,

Yes I've been down to Halfrauds and bought 4 !!

Just in case !

WOW just looked at your profile !!

What a lot of Tattoos !!

Lovely bike too.

Just trying to upload some pics but too big !

Any advice as how to make them smaller ??

Thanks. :rolleyes:

Why thankya kindly ;)

For your photos either resize them (theres loads of free online resizers out there - just google) or upload them to something like photobucket. Once in photobucket copy the IMG line and paste it into your message :D

Why thank you Maam,

Yours don't look too bad either but upon further reading of the forums i see you had a Dragstar with a custom paint job ! Correct ? any pics ?? :blink:

Why thank you Maam,

Yours don't look too bad either but upon further reading of the forums i see you had a Dragstar with a custom paint job ! Correct ? any pics ?? :blink:

Sure

BILD0156_JPG.jpg

DSCF0492_JPG.jpg

DSC00634.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

dscf4314_191.jpg

DSCF0493_JPG.jpg

:D

WOW !!!

Well I didn't expect that !!

That's one 'ell of a paint job you had there.

Thanks for sharing, gives me some pointer for mine--cheers. :o

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online