help please yamaha v50

jay1987
This post is 2654 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi dose any one kno how to derestrict my yamaha v50 as just got it a week agao and allready sick and tired of going every where at 30 mph so any sugetions would be more than welcome cheers jay

Hi Jay,

:welcome: to the forum could you say exactly which year V50 you have as there are different issues over the model years

Regards Jim

Hi Jay,

:welcome: to the forum could you say exactly which year V50 you have as there are different issues over the model years

Regards Jim

yeah sure its a 1982 possibly 83 and its doing my head in trying to get it to go over 30 mph

yeah sure its a 1982 possibly 83 and its doing my head in trying to get it to go over 30 mph

OK Jay,

remove the exhaust pipe and look up the exhaust port if it is D shaped and not round this will be the first point of restriction (not an easy job removing this one ur better off finding a 77 or older barrel). The junk the exhaust system and fit something else (an FS1E silencer will fit with mods to the front pipe). If the bike has the YEIS system make sure the big rubber tube is in good condition. If you find the bike struggles to change gear at the moment you may find a good decoke will put the top speed back to a blistering 33 mph !

Regards Jim

• Like 1

OK Jay,

remove the exhaust pipe and look up the exhaust port if it is D shaped and not round this will be the first point of restriction (not an easy job removing this one ur better off finding a 77 or older barrel). The junk the exhaust system and fit something else (an FS1E silencer will fit with mods to the front pipe). If the bike has the YEIS system make sure the big rubber tube is in good condition. If you find the bike struggles to change gear at the moment you may find a good decoke will put the top speed back to a blistering 33 mph !

Regards Jim

hi jim i have had the rear part of the exzaughst off and its round i can not remove the front part as bolts are so old and rusty they just round off do you know of any other resrictors on the bike and can u also tell me if u know is there a different type of plastics for this bike or is it just the one style cheers jay

hi jim i have had the rear part of the exzaughst off and its round i can not remove the front part as bolts are so old and rusty they just round off do you know of any other resrictors on the bike and can u also tell me if u know is there a different type of plastics for this bike or is it just the one style cheers jay

Hi Jay,

you need to get the front pipe off as the d shaped section will be in the barrel (the finned bit of the engine) whithout work here there is no way you will get any more go or power if you alter the gearing alone you may get a higher top speed down hill or on the flat but you may be pushing the bike up hill. I also pointed out the YEIS tube which can cause performance issues on the V50 (along with worn auto clutches etc). With regard to plastics you could fit some leg shields from the V70A (they had 'mate' written on them) but you must take into account a scooterette was really never pimped. On a performance point of view the following engines will fit V70,V75,V75A,V80,V90 for sure and the U7/U7A may also fit but given the age of the bike if you could get hold of the V80 engine & front exhaust pipe and a FS1 silencer (pre 1977) you will have a bike that will either wheelie in all 3 gears (V50 gearing) or do about 60 in most places (front sprocket 14t, v50 std 11t). tbh with the 80 motor & the gearing set I did manage nearly 70 on the M40 on the way to London from my locale

Regards Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jay,

you need to get the front pipe off as the d shaped section will be in the barrel (the finned bit of the engine) whithout work here there is no way you will get any more go or power if you alter the gearing alone you may get a higher top speed down hill or on the flat but you may be pushing the bike up hill. I also pointed out the YEIS tube which can cause performance issues on the V50 (along with worn auto clutches etc). With regard to plastics you could fit some leg shields from the V70A (they had 'mate' written on them) but you must take into account a scooterette was really never pimped. On a performance point of view the following engines will fit V70,V75,V75A,V80,V90 for sure and the U7/U7A may also fit but given the age of the bike if you could get hold of the V80 engine & front exhaust pipe and a FS1 silencer (pre 1977) you will have a bike that will either wheelie in all 3 gears (V50 gearing) or do about 60 in most places (front sprocket 14t, v50 std 11t). tbh with the 80 motor & the gearing set I did manage nearly 70 on the M40 on the way to London from my locale

Regards Jim

hi jim thanks for that i was just wondering do you kno anything about the electrics on theses bikes as ive lost all lights and no horn to also do you kno where you can get parts for these cheers jay

• 7 years later...

Hello. if you need any help getting the V50 faster contact me. this might be an old topic but still... i would like to help. we drag race them here in the 1/4 mile. getting xtreme fast times out of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LkIr21d40s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZwZwJj7oPI

• 1 month later...

Hi Guido, I have just bought a v70 auto and want to tune it a little. Any recommendations? I.e. Transfer ports, expansion pipe etc? It would appear to be very difficult to find any information about these bikes here in the U.K. Regards Andy 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online