help please

stinkysanchez69
This post is 5319 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey. Not to hijack this thread, but I've got some similar questions. I've got a 75 DT175, and my carb doesn't have a connection for the oil tank. Here's a picture of the carb.

photo.jpg

Instead, my oil tank goes straight into the motor via this tube here.

photo2.jpg

Being a noob, my question is this: Is this right? The service manual I have seems to suggest that it is. I'm in the process of tearing everything apart and cleaning it, but I want to know before I put it all back together if the PO changed the carb or did some funky stuff that I'm gonna have to work around. Any help is appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:unsure:

fuk fuk fuk carb al djusted to 21 mil but now my spark plug keeps getting wet the jets came lose inside carb and i think i flooded the motor arrgh do i just let it sit or will pulling it behind a car clean it out??

Nope pulling it behind a car is not a good idea if you have badly flooded it you could hydraulic the engine and damage god knows what. Best thing would be pull the plug out and just let it vent. She will smoke some when you get it running again as the oil wont evaporate but otherwise it should survive ok.

Hey. Not to hijack this thread, but I've got some similar questions. I've got a 75 DT175, and my carb doesn't have a connection for the oil tank. Instead, my oil tank goes straight into the motor via this tube here.

photo2.jpg

Being a noob, my question is this: Is this right? The service manual I have seems to suggest that it is. I'm in the process of tearing everything apart and cleaning it, but I want to know before I put it all back together if the PO changed the carb or did some funky stuff that I'm gonna have to work around. Any help is appreciated.

That tube feeds oil through an Oil Injector located under the small cover just under the barrel on that side of the motor.

Very similar to Air-Cooled RD's ;)

& Yep.....It's supposed to be there. :D

That tube feeds oil through an Oil Injector located under the small cover just under the barrel on that side of the motor.

Very similar to Air-Cooled RD's ;)

& Yep.....It's supposed to be there. :D

The service manual says that a failure of the oil pump in there is very unlikely. Does this mean I really have no need to open it up and check out the functionality of it. I have no reason to believe that it is not working, and two of the heads of the screws holding that cover on are stripped, so it'd be a PITA to get in there. Comforting words like, "No, I'm sure it's fine... No need to go in there." would be appreciated. :D

godfather, if you have an oil tank, heres what you can do.

(well at least what i would do)

run premix for now. but put some oil into the tank, just until it goes and fills the bubble about 1/2 way. then ride it around for a few days and see if the level goes down.

make sure you always park in exactly the same spot when you check the level though.

I've got a 75 DT175, and my carb doesn't have a connection for the oil Any help is appreciated.

Aye mafia "[godfather] ur carb has no inlet for oil injection. It must be off a YZ .[moto-x er] They were pre-mix. also in pics" i see only one oil line ???

Aye mafia "[godfather] ur carb has no inlet for oil injection. It must be off a YZ .[moto-x er] They were pre-mix. also in pics" i see only one oil line ???

Thanks for the tip... But there's only one outlet for oil from the oil tank, and it was previously plugged right into the motor, as pictured above. Are you sure that I'm supposed to have a carb with an inlet for oil coming straight from the oil tank also? This doesn't seem to make sense... But I am by no means mechanically inclined.... Any other input? :unsure:

Also, great tip about running a pre-mix at first with some oil in the tank and keeping an eye on the oil level. Thanks Dave!

Are you sure that I'm supposed to have a carb with an inlet for oil coming straight from the oil tank

Ah - the one pipe u have in pic , going into casing[ pump] there shud be smaller diameter pipe cumin back up [ outa casing] to carb, ... i alwas make this pipe in clear plastic .[ to see oil ] ;)

Ah - the one pipe u have in pic , going into casing[ pump] there shud be smaller diameter pipe cumin back up [ outa casing] to carb, ... i alwas make this pipe in clear plastic .[ to see oil ] ;)

Oh crap... does this mean that unless I run pre-mix, I'm gonna need to buy a new carburetor? Could you please send me a picture of which hose coming out of the casing is supposed to go into the carb? Is it this yellow-capped one on the same side as the oil IN tube? There's another one on the other side of the crankcase.

photo-1.jpg

EDIT: I just looked on Yamaha's website at the exploded view of the crank case, and both of these are labeled breathers... That would indicate to me that neither of them are supposed to go to the carb... Why am I so confused...? Do I have the right carb or not? Now I'm concerned....

here:

pump1974.jpg

this is mine.

i have nothing plugged into my carb.

the overflow lines are gone.

mine runs fine.

if you think that your carb has an input for the oil, and your motor looks like mine, then start the bike. plug the outlets on the carb. if you feel a vacuum. cap it.

Thanks again, Dave. That is super helpful. Considering that this bike was in such great shape, (aside from the usual problems from sitting for 35 years) I would have been surprised if the carb had been replaced. Mine looks just like yours in the picture. I'm guessing that was stock, and that I don't need to worry about the lack of oil input into the carb... Would you agree?

Thanks again, Dave. That is super helpful. Considering that this bike was in such great shape, (aside from the usual problems from sitting for 35 years) I would have been surprised if the carb had been replaced. Mine looks just like yours in the picture. I'm guessing that was stock, and that I don't need to worry about the lack of oil input into the carb... Would you agree?

As long as the small oil pipe (pump outlet) is connecter directly the the inlet manifold like Dave's all will be well, it seems that different models have different methods but essentially all go to the inlet manifold somehow.

This forum rocks!! Thanks for all the info, guys. Here's a picture of mine. All appears to be well, accept for a bit of grime. I'm still going to run a mix when I first get it back up and running, and keep my eye on the oil level (hopefully) dwindling... but I'm confident that everything's going to be ok. Thanks again!

photo-2.jpg

k boys what is the easiest way to get mixed gas out of the motor my jet rattled out in the carb and flooded it like hell if i take off fuel tank and put my bike upside down as in on the seat to drain it out might take a bit to evaporate lol what options might i have thanks mates

k boys what is the easiest way to get mixed gas out of the motor my jet rattled out in the carb and flooded it like hell if i take off fuel tank and put my bike upside down as in on the seat to drain it out might take a bit to evaporate lol what options might i have thanks mates

Remove the plug, place the piston at BDC...(use a pencil through the plug hole to find this) and leave it for a while...days rather than hours, the fuel will evaporate via the transfer ports into the cylinder and out the plug hole. The oil if pre-mix will not evaporate so expect a bit more smoke on initial running.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online