Divvy noise

Divvy_Rider
This post is 6689 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hiya

I've only had my bike for 2 weeks so still getting use to the characteristics, so i wanted to know if i have anything to worry about, When the engine has warmed up there is a tapping/ticking noise which i thought would be the tappets it seems to tap at almost the same speed whether im sitting at lights or riding round town doing 30/40 mph i'm not sure if it still taps when going faster 60 + because i can't hear with all the wind etc, ... a mate at work said it's not a problem and probably better to hear some tapping rather than none at all coz that would mean the tappets are to tight,.. but i thought id better ask on here coz if anyone knows one of you will :), I serviced my old 100cc but i'm to scared to touch the divvy atm, 2 Carbs what the F**k is that about :lol: ...

anyway if someone could give me some insight and put my mind to rest that would be great.

thank you

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

More than likely, it's just typical valvetrain noise :wink: ......maybe check the clearances @ the shims :?: meaning it could maybe do with a valve adjust :wink:

.......& What's this about TWO carbs? :? .......I was under the impression that all Divvy's had FOUR aa_3.gif

Yeah I should get it serviced but it doesn't tap when its cold, its only once its warmed up .

Opps you are right Yamahead, there is 4 carbs ..Doh that makes it even more complicated :lol:

The problem is i don't know anything about this bike ( as you've already seen:) ) so i'm gonna have to take it to a bike shop for a service coz i'm going on holiday on it next month, but i'm going to get a manual then hopefully do future services on it myself, but atm when you say check the clearances at the shims, im like Who,What, Where,when, why..Help! :)

But thanks for the help anyway

As the Divvy is air cooled, the engine is bound to be a bit noisy + if your's is faired, you will be getting sound reflected up. If it gets noisier when warm, this will probably be the valves. A good service should sort it all out.

Opps you are right Yamahead, there is 4 carbs ..Doh that makes it even more complicated  :lol:  

but i'm going to get a manual then hopefully do future services on it myself

4 carbs always seems to intimidate people :? .....don't know why?......ya just have to deal with 'em as a unit & Not individually :wink:

Divvy's have got to be one of thee most user friendly bike's to work on 8)

Ok Thanks .. I'll have to get it serviced, am i right in thinking it costs around £120 (ish) for a service?

BTW It is the faired version, and other than the tapping it is really quiet, when it's just ticking over it is quieter than my old 100cc :).

I'll try to post some pics today if i get time, .. after all i am suppose to be working :twisted:

cheers

Like Yamahead said,a very user friendly bike the divvy,well mine is anyway,get yoursel a haynes manual an you'll be able to do most of the servicing yourself, no probs. :spin

Well I would do it myself, And in future i intend to, But i'm using it to go on holiday in about 3 weeks, so the last thing i need is me pissing something up before then, i have no idea how to change the brake pads on disk brakes (my old bike had drum) and with all this shitty weather we've been having i haven't even been able to clean the bike for 3 weeks, when its been dry i've been out riding so couldn't clean it :) i don't have anywhere in the dry to keep my bike, it lives outside with just a cover on it, which sucks but i have no choice, so i have to wait for good weather to be able to do anything to it,

I hate wasting money, but i think this once i'm gonna have to just suck it in and get it done at a shop :roll:

the only problem now is, im worried about doing it some harm by riding it, i'm trying to take it easy coz i have to get to work some how, could it do the bike any harm by riding it ? or should it be ok till i get it sorted?

thanks for everyones help.

starting to miss the old 100cc, i didn't mind taking that apart :)

The brake pads should be an absolute Walk-In-The-Park to change :wink: ......should be able to do both front calipers in about 20 mins. 8)

The only harm you could be doing to it is braking too hard with thin pads or something :?: .....Outside of that, they're pretty much BulletProof :wink:

FFS, I just typed out a page worth of stuff then pressed backspace to delete a word and it made the whole IE page go back so i lost everything, .. So you'll just get a short version now

right... I went to a local bike shop, the mechanic came out to listen to it then checked the cam chain tension coz he thought it might be that, that was making it tap, but it was tight enough so wasn't that, and he said it wouldn't be a problem with the valves because they don't normally need looking at until 25000 miles, my bike has only done 4300, and he says that it doesn't sound odd, and most divvys tap like that anyway so i have nothing to worry about, he also said the brakes/pads are fine, and the carbs are fine to don't need rebalancing, but he said i should change the oil/filter because the bike had been sitting for a while before i got it so just to be safe kinda thing. which i thought was really nice of him, because any other shop around here wouldn't even go near your bike till you give them some cash, and this guy just save me £150 odd for a service that it doesn't need (his words) I just thought it was really cool, that he got some tools and checked it out rather than making me book it in for a service.

so anyway, I still don't like the tapping, but he says they do make a noise, is there any other divvy riders on here if so whats your bike like?.

oh and should i change the air filter while im at it.

thanks people

*edited for spelling :) *

so anyway, I still don't like the tapping, but he says they do make a noise, is there any other divvy riders on here if so whats your bike like?.  

oh and should i change the air filter while im at it.

That tapping noise is something inheirant to all XJ's (that I've been around anyway :wink: )

Doing an Oil & filter change is highly adviseable :tu ........replacing the air filter wouldn't hurt either....(if it needs it) :wink:

Relax Mark, they all sound the same!

Mine was identical. Its quieter when cold because all the parts are cold and the oil's nice n thick. As the engine warms up firstly the oil thins, but more notably the valves become more free as they are set with shims, hence the tapping or ticking noise top-end.

Change the oil and filter and you will notice it is a lil quieter for a while, but it will soon pick up again. You'll find the bike will be smoother and last longer with regular oil changes - I always did mine on the 600 every 1500 miles, and the 900 every 2000.

The air filter only needs cleaning every service, blow it out with an air line (carefully). I replace mine either when it wont clean up anymore or every 3rd service.

Remember that an old technology aircooled is gonna be louder than modern stuff.

Get that oil and filter changed (I recommend Silkolene semi synth 10w-40), and get out and get it revving. Divvy 6's thrive on it and at that mileage depending how it's been ridden, the motor could still need some loosening up.

Probably the only way those Tractor Boys will know your there....is when you're out in front of 'em :roll: :lol: