Cracked clutch basket

XS 500
This post is 5349 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok, now its confirmed, I am a idiot :(

I was trying to remove the clutch basket today on my XS 500 and it cracked!!! Not alot, but a small crack is visible. Now I wonder, do I have to replace it or can I drive with it?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok, now its confirmed, I am a idiot :(

I was trying to remove the clutch basket today on my XS 500 and it cracked!!! Not alot, but a small crack is visible. Now I wonder, do I have to replace it or can I drive with it?

Weld it.

I would at least consider a different one. Check your local junkyards and Epay. Last thing you want is bits of weld getting in your oil.

The crack is fine as a hair and only two of the standing parts are flexing a bit, all the others are stiff as before. Is there a risk for a total disintegration if I drive with this?

if the Xs500 bbaskets are the same as the RD ones then PGM have replacement kits. if you get a replacement secondhand one get the crank pinion as well as they are matched i reckon they have numbers on em that have to add up too a specific number, and they could well have rubber shock absorbers in em so make sure there is no/very little play between the basket and the gear it is riveted too

merv

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online