YZF R125

Just Ian
This post is 5317 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey,

Done my CBT last week and am just now waiting on my new 59 plate R125 bein delivered on the 1st of sept, just wondering if anyone has any advice on breaking in the engine and thngs along those lines, so a dont just jump on it and cause any problems for myself etc...

Thanks ian

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey,

Done my CBT last week and am just now waiting on my new 59 plate R125 bein delivered on the 1st of sept, just wondering if anyone has any advice on breaking in the engine and thngs along those lines, so a dont just jump on it and cause any problems for myself etc...

Thanks ian

Nice one Ian, breaking in info will be in the owners manual, also study the other stuff like routine checks, oil, coolant, chain tension and lube...for example.

...paul

also, you are picking a brand new bike up. Make sure the dealer gives you a thorough brief about the controls, any accesories etc. Make sure they have completed the service book pre-delivery service details.

go safe and have fun.

Nice one Ian, breaking in info will be in the owners manual, also study the other stuff like routine checks, oil, coolant, chain tension and lube...for example.

...paul

Thanks for that paul wasn't sure if that would've been in the manual so cheers for the reply

ian

also, you are picking a brand new bike up. Make sure the dealer gives you a thorough brief about the controls, any accesories etc. Make sure they have completed the service book pre-delivery service details.

go safe and have fun.

A will do mate thanks thats something that would've slipped my mind about the service book cheers

ian

Hey,

Thanks ian

this website will tell you everything that you need to know! www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm :)

this website will tell you everything that you need to know! www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm :)

Thats rlly good info on that site, and to be honest i agree with it, is this how u ran yours in? and how does or did it run now??

ian

Thats rlly good info on that site, and to be honest i agree with it, is this how u ran yours in? and how does or did it run now??

ian

Yep, it is how I ran mine in, and it runnes perfecty! Nearly done 3k miles on it and it's fine mate!! I

Know that some people would not agree about running it in that way, and nether did I untill I read that site. I hope that it has helped you out anyway. :-)

Some very good advice in here. I too am going to be ordering a YZFR125 soon, and reading this makes me wish I could order mine now lol. Has anyone else used that Motoman's running in technique? He certainly does seem to know his stuff and it makes sense, but it does seem rather stupid that the manufacturors would say to run it in in a way that would actually impair the performance!

Yep, it is how I ran mine in, and it runnes perfecty! Nearly done 3k miles on it and it's fine mate!! I

Know that some people would not agree about running it in that way, and nether did I untill I read that site. I hope that it has helped you out anyway. :-)

Excellent m8, thats me convinced now that is how i will run mine in :) i have not got the patience to do it by the owners manual altho that isn't me saying i am going to go out and be daft on my bike.

Thanks again

Some very good advice in here. I too am going to be ordering a YZFR125 soon, and reading this makes me wish I could order mine now lol. Has anyone else used that Motoman's running in technique? He certainly does seem to know his stuff and it makes sense, but it does seem rather stupid that the manufacturors would say to run it in in a way that would actually impair the performance!

Well Avix i pick mine up next tuesday when the new 59 plates are released so maybe al have another opinion or just agree about that way of running in if you dont get one before that

<300 miles < 6000rpm

<600 miles < 8000rpm

601> any....

I bought mine 1 august couldnt wait for the 59 plate, i just had to get one.

under 6000 rpm is a lonely 50mph, expect cars to pass. I did not enjoy those first miles.

under 8000 rpm is 65mph you can keep up with them but I whooped when I passed the 600 oh and after the first oil/filter change, very important.

Now i reach the speed limit ;).

Need a new exhaust though the stock one is suprisingly heavy.

I bought the black one, I like the blue but seen loads of blue r1's, seems a common color choice.

Have fun.

Just visited that url above.

I am just wondering why do the caparison pictures of pistons show the crown on the piston is completly clean. I dont care how the engine was run in, if you run an engine the crown of the piston will always have carbon deposits on it!

Looks like a load of nonsence to me but I have run mine in as per manufacturers instructions and it runs fine.

Good luck.

I would be interested in the experience you have with that run in method and speed to gear mappings!

<300 miles < 6000rpm

<600 miles < 8000rpm

601> any....

I bought mine 1 august couldnt wait for the 59 plate, i just had to get one.

under 6000 rpm is a lonely 50mph, expect cars to pass. I did not enjoy those first miles.

under 8000 rpm is 65mph you can keep up with them but I whooped when I passed the 600 oh and after the first oil/filter change, very important.

Now i reach the speed limit ;).

Need a new exhaust though the stock one is suprisingly heavy.

I bought the black one, I like the blue but seen loads of blue r1's, seems a common color choice.

Have fun.

Just visited that url above.

I am just wondering why do the caparison pictures of pistons show the crown on the piston is completly clean. I dont care how the engine was run in, if you run an engine the crown of the piston will always have carbon deposits on it!

Looks like a load of nonsence to me but I have run mine in as per manufacturers instructions and it runs fine.

Good luck.

I would be interested in the experience you have with that run in method and speed to gear mappings!

Thanks a lot for that, when did you do your first oil/filter change was that just at the 600miles service am guessing?

Yeah the black was what i thought i was going to get but after i seen the red i had my heart set on it, i only had 2 wait a week so it seemed worth while

tomorrow after work :D can't wait hope the weather holds out till i atleast get her home :)

ian

Ian,

Owners book say first service is at 600 miles and that includes an oil and filter change.

Mine went in at the weekend just turned 660 miles. Parts were £14 ish labour was 80 ish £100 all in.

This bike is so nimble very chuckable im using mine to commute every day what ever the weather. Saving a fortune over the car, in fact the car is up for sale now.

Im planning on doing my test just to lose the L plates. Will upgrade next year some time.

Have fun.

Vince

Alex,

Did you follow these run in recomendations....?

I thought it sounded suspect and then when I got to the bottom of the page I saw

"Smaller ports = 7% more power"

LOL

Whilst this may be true of an engine with a head on it that contains too large ports and valves, eg. the ford two litre engine as fitted to the MkII RS2000, where it has been proven that fuel drop out occurs when the intake speed falls too low due to the large port and low air pressure, this is not true of most engines.

I personally will disregard mototuneusa's comments.

Vince

Alex,

Did you follow these run in recomendations....?

I thought it sounded suspect and then when I got to the bottom of the page I saw

"Smaller ports = 7% more power"

LOL

Whilst this may be true of an engine with a head on it that contains too large ports and valves, eg. the ford two litre engine as fitted to the MkII RS2000, where it has been proven that fuel drop out occurs when the intake speed falls too low due to the large port and low air pressure, this is not true of most engines.

I personally will disregard mototuneusa's comments.

Vince

Well Guys!!!

Picked up the new R125 today :D just as the garage was closing i might add (this becomes relevant)... Got out and onto it just as it started raining but didn't care i was smiling from ear to ear, was all going great until i got 3miles from the dealership and i noticed the engine management light came on and then the display turned off and eventually the engine cut out!! it started again and i got 1 more mile and it happened again!! and then wouldnt even start, sometimes it was acting as if the battery was dead but then it would start ticking over, but in the end wouldnt start

So i got a total of 4 miles out of my bike and ended up taking it home in a break down and recovery van!! :( not sure whats went wrong, will need to phone yamaha tomorow to come pick it up and sort it out! not happy what so ever but those 4 miles where enjoyable :)

Hopefully it will all be sorted for me to enjoy it tomorow!!

ian

EDIT: Didn't mean to make this a reply...

Picked the bike back up tonight :D was to do with a bad electrical connection that worked itself loose when i started rideing it... all sorted now and was very reluctant to come home after spending about 3 hours just rideing around in the rain but sadly i've got to catch up on some sleep for work :angry:

ian