removing fuel tank XVS 650

mits007
This post is 2947 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there,

I need to remove the fuel tank on my baby after dropping her after carelessly parking her on a slope - :(

*Sighs* Having a quick look, I can see 2 bolts on either side (At the tail of the teardrop tank) presumably, these will allow me to lift the tank?...

Presumably I need to detach the speedo clock first?...

I'll be doing this for the first time, so any tips or pointers or anything to watchout for would be gratefully appreciated....

many thanks,

-Mits-

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Did I hear my name called? :D

Woody to the rescue.....

'Kay... Since I've done this about 20 times in the past two years - Here's what I do:

1/. Tank full o' petrol is heavy. You may wanna go for a long ride, to make the job easier.

Park up, switch everything off. Very important, this.

You may wish to put the bike up on a jack or something so it's upright. Makes no bones to me, but some people prefer it.

2/. Undo the three bolts holding the speedo in place. They screw into rubber bushes, so be gentle. You might want a thin flathead to help lever them up.

3/. Combine lifting the speedo unit with threading the speedo cable back up toward the top of the tank.

This makes it easier, reduces strain on parts and gives you more space to work.

4/. BEFORE you undo the speedo cable, tie a bit of string tightly around it. This stops the nut from sliding down into the bodywork and pissing you off later.

5/. Unplug the electric connectors. You won't confuse 'em when you plug them back in later as they're different shapes. Tie another bit of string round them.

6/. Turn the fuel tap to OFF. Make sure you've turned the fuel tap to OFF. Check again.

7/. Use a pair of pliers and squeeze open the clamp around the fuel line. Slide it back alone the hose. Have a big wad of towel/rag/kitchen paper handy and hold it under the fuel line. Pull the line off and let the small amount of fuel drain out of it onto the towel.

8/. Undo the two nuts either side of the tank at the back. One holds the Choke on, the other is on the opposite side (you already know where these are).

9/. Straddle the bike in a manly fashion.

10/. Grasp the tank either side, about the logos and pivot forward, like lifting a toilet seat. The tail end of the tank should come upward. Combine this lifting with a 'yawing' wiggle and a backwards movement. The tank should work it's way free of the rubber bushes that hold it in place. You will feel it come free.

11/. Once the tank is free and before you lift it from the bike, carefully thread the electrics and speedo cable through the hole in the tank. Try and rest the tank on a folded thick towel, a pillow or summat. Keeps it from getting scratched up.

Assemble in reverse order, noting the following:

1/. Tank back on - This is a fiddly job.

You'll need to thread the speedo and electrics back up, but at the appropriate moment. This is where the string helps.

Straddle bike and hold the front end of the tank. The back end kind of sits on your thighs, leaving you a hand free to fiddle with the strung parts. If the string is long enough, thread that through first and keep it taught to pull the parts through when needed.

Position the tank ready for the rubber bushes, lifting the back end. It basically goes forward then pivots down into it's seating.

Waggle it into place and thread the strung parts when they will reach, It's easier to do the electrics first and then the speedo. The tank might need some firm (but careful) shoving to get it that last bit into place.

2/. Don't take the string off until you've reconnected the parts!!!

3/. Bolts back in (don't forget the choke) and reconnect speedo unit.

4/. Reattach speedo unit. When putting bolts back in here, use a dab of copperslip around the threads. Don't overtighten or you'll kill the rubbers.

5/. Fuel hose back on (just push), hose clamp back in place. Use pliers on the clamp as it's just easier.

Check everything, recheck and ONLY then turn fuel back on.

Start her up, take for a test ride, make sure everything works.

Particular attention to speedo and instrument lights.

When satisfied, buy me a pint!!

Any questions - Here I am.

• Like 2

^That's pretty comprehensive^

although I've never straddled the bike to lift the tank off, and I don't use the string trick (although I might give it a go next time)

I know you've covered these Ttask but;

Things that have cost me time/money:

- after a long 3 days working on the bike I forgot to reconnect the fuel hose before turning the fuel tap back on (doh!)

- overtightened the speedo bolts (fecked the rubbers...)

Ttaskmaster/ Cov_Al:

Thanks for all the help - will be taking the tank off this weekend,

once again, greatly appreciated!.. will let you know how i get on with it....

regards,

-Mits-

• 3 years later...

Any chance of getting this post pinned?

Possibly one of the best I ever wrote and I still Copy & Paste on occasion.

• 8 months later...

Thank you, sir. Have now used this method twice with great success. IOU two pints.

:D

That's what this forum is really all about.. helping that is, not drinking, although both kinda go hand in hand!

• 2 weeks later...

See i've made the removal of the 650 tank much faster and easier. Mine goes like this:

1. turn off fuel
  2. un-screw jubalee clip
  3. pull off fuel line
  4. pull out two quick release bonnet pins
  5. take off tank

Re-fitting:

1. Put on fuel tank
  2. re-fit bonnet pins
  3. re-fit fuel line
  4. do up clip
  5. turn on fuel

:eusa_whistle::hyper:

Noise goes in to garage to pay for fuel that he has just put in, on return someone has un-screwed jubilee clip, pulled out two quick release bonnet pins and had orff with his tank and fuel....

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

• Like 3

Yes i maybe coming up but with two pad locks on my fuel tank. :razz:

Or just look out for the git walking about with a fuel tank under his arm

• Like 3

On 3/25/2014 at 8:40 PM, Noise said:

See i've made the removal of the 650 tank much faster and easier. Mine goes like this:

1. turn off fuel
  2. un-screw jubalee clip
  3. pull off fuel line
  4. pull out two quick release bonnet pins
  5. take off tank

Re-fitting:

1. Put on fuel tank
  2. re-fit bonnet pins
  3. re-fit fuel line
  4. do up clip
  5. turn on fuel

:eusa_whistle::hyper:

Noise you missed out the bit where you leave it in the garden for some one to flatten

O Yer forgot about that. Found out couple of weeks ago he got nicked again for driving with no licence. 

• 1 year later...

I realize that I am resurrecting an old thread, so please excuse me for that, but I'm thinking of fitting a gear indicator to a Drag Star VSX650 that I have just bought.

Being new to changing gear with my foot, I'm struggling with knowing which gear that I'm in (Yes, I can count up to 5 but I do get a bit lost when I change down a couple of times and then up and then back down again!)

So, is this way of removing the tank any good for getting at the wiring loom?

Thanks

hi Mate,

By taking the tank off you will epose the wiring loom, but as for what wire and how your going to link up a gear indicator i have not got a clue.

best thing to do and is by far the easiest and cheapest way is to just get out on the bike and get used to the feel of what gear your in. If its screaming when riding then go up a gear, if its bogging down and not accelerating smoothly then tap down a gear. simples

Yo!!

Still love this thread...

Gear indicator... yeah... Not something I'd recommend, partly because many are designed to fit into an inner fairing slot and you don't have fairing, partly because you're far better off learning your bike. Same for cars, really.

As mentioned above, after a very short while, you'll start to know what gear you're in just by the speed you're doing and what noise the engine is making. It makes you a better rider as you don't have to keep looking down to see your gear, and if ever you change bikes or have to ride a different one, for some reason, you'll find this an invaluable skill!!

As for changing gear, even these days I occasionally change my mind and swap around at the last second. Again, you'll get used to it very quickly!

But if you're set on your course, then yes this is a fantastic way of removing the tank, especially the string trick... but then I'm biassed, so I would say that!! :lol:

My way was still faster tho :P

5 hours ago, Noise said:

My way was still faster tho :P

Is that before or after you've spent time modding in those quick-release parts.... and where's yer clocks, man?

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice.  I'll see how I get on as I get used to the gear changes.

I did see a chrome surround that had a clamp for attaching the gear indicator to the handlebars, but they don't ship to the UK, so I would need to think about where the indicator would be fixed as well...

Anyway, I'll save the instructions for removing the tank for future use.  Thanks.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online