XS400 Brake conversion

iaregenius
This post is 5359 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok, based on the advice from one of the www.wrenchmonkees.com guys I bought some motocross levers to put on my 81' XS400 I bought a set of ASV F3's and he said those would work, I also bought a master cylinder from a '05 YZ250 which was told would also be fine but I may need to replace the bolt (not sure what that means). I am new to this and I am learning as I go. I currently have stock wheel with a drum brake hub, I would like to convert to disc and need to know basically everything, I found some front fork legs that look like they accommodate disc calipers, can I swap these onto my current fork? Also I would like to keep the spoked wheel look, can I swap out the hub with a disc ready hub or do i need to find a whole wheel with disc? If so any recommendations either way? I think that's all for now.

Thanks, Nathan

p.s. I'll post a pic as soon as I figure out how

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

new wheel, new caliper, and why not just buy a used yamaha xs 400 front brake set up, instead of messing with after market pieces for dirtbikes.

Ok, the reason for the aftermarket pieces is as follows: I have small hands and needed something small and adjustable. They suggested these as the best option. I guess what I really needed are exact specs of what I need. I have the levers and master cylinder like I said. Is there an aftermarket spoked wheel with disc or can anybody suggest something? I can't seem to find a spoked wheel with disc.

You can get a cast wheel which would be what yamaha used for disc brakes on the xs 400's like ours... And most bikes. You could probably get one off eBay. The only thing I would be concerned with the hydraulic brake line fitting into the ya 250 master cylinder and the yamaha caliper but it might I've never done it. If it fits though that'd be sweet.

You can get a cast wheel which would be what yamaha used for disc brakes on the xs 400's like ours... And most bikes. You could probably get one off eBay. The only thing I would be concerned with the hydraulic brake line fitting into the ya 250 master cylinder and the yamaha caliper but it might I've never done it. If it fits though that'd be sweet.

Could I use a 19" disc ready wire wheel from a XS650?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online