Cracked fuel tank

Greg B
This post is 3953 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I bought a 2001 TTR250 from my Boss, it's hardly been ridden and I know it's been well taken care of. One day I noticed a gas smell and then found a long crack along the right side of the tank.

I had a plastic welder try to fix it but it hasn't worked.

Anyone have any ideas? The plastic welder maintains that it's a low grade batch of plastic.

Thanks

Greg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I don't think that they are made to be repaired and that your only chance is to buy another.

I was afraid of that, the local Yama distributer wants $700 for a tank on a $1500 bike. can't find an aftermarket tank for that bike at this time either

Have a look for an aftermarket Acerbis tank, they make overland tanks for these bikes, so it'll be 20 litres of so, but new these are only £200, so around $300??

I've never herd of one cracking, mines taken more punisment than I can .... (OK so it a 600, but similar!)

Have a look for an aftermarket Acerbis tank, they make overland tanks for these bikes, so it'll be 20 litres of so, but new these are only £200, so around $300??

I've never herd of one cracking, mines taken more punisment than I can .... (OK so it a 600, but similar!)

Thanks, I tried several companies, only one is planning on producing a TTR tank... in November.

Great I can ride all winter!

I'm just going to make one out of aluminum.

Greg

• 4 weeks later...

only one is planning on producing a TTR tank... in November.

____

Greg - which manufacturer is planning to produce a TTR tank in November --

I believe it was Clark that said they were planning but I emailed last week and the rep said that he didn't know when they'd be going ahead with it.

I'm 80% finished my styrene prototype, just inputing the shapes into the computer then I can router cut one from Aluminum. It'll look a little clunky but it beats watching her collect dust.

• 2 months later...

I believe it was Clark that said they were planning but I emailed last week and the rep said that he didn't know when they'd be going ahead with it.

I'm 80% finished my styrene prototype, just inputing the shapes into the computer then I can router cut one from Aluminum. It'll look a little clunky but it beats watching her collect dust.

I ran across this ad -- it appears you can contract these guys to make your own Gas Tank for the TTR 250 – not sure how much they cost …

http://fluids.flambeau.com/customization_overview/overview.html

• 3 years later...

Ya... I've got a 99 ttr 250. My tank craked too. Tried the plastic weld thing too, did not work. Did find a site that shows you how an aftermarket 93-96 Honda XR 400-600 tank fits almost perfect. Need to change the brackets a bit but a nice fit. Google- bigger tank install ttr 250. That tank is way cheaper. Signed I.m gonna try it. Just wondering if I could install a more stock sized tank? .