runs only on choke

ardo
This post is 5375 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting a question, I am a newbie, forgive me if I could not find what I am looking for in search forum, so here it goes I have a 1980 Yamaha sx400 was not running, (due to sitting for a long time) I pulled the carbs off of the bike went through all the jets, clean them well, and put back on the bike, it ran for a while, but the idle was never consistant, as I rev the trottle sometimes the idle goes up by itself, unpredictably, it has been sitting for few months, lately I started again it starts right away, but as soon as I push the choke in, dies, I also noticed the RPm needle goes up very slow, I am assuming the cable might be on its way out, the boots were not that bad. any suggestions will be highly appreciated. :(

ardo

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi

with the rev going up on its own,sounds like an air leak.when its running try spraying some wd40 between the carbs and barrels.it should run ok if its an air leak.

as far as only running on choke,sounds like your idel jet/s is blocked.did you flush the tank or have a filter in line?

ja

hi

with the rev going up on its own,sounds like an air leak.when its running try spraying some wd40 between the carbs and barrels.it should run ok if its an air leak.

as far as only running on choke,sounds like your idel jet/s is blocked.did you flush the tank or have a filter in line?

ja

Hi thank you for your response, I will check both again, I was so sure I cleaned good, but Ill take the apart again, where is a good parts place in case I need the boots

Hi thank you for your response, I will check both again, I was so sure I cleaned good, but Ill take the apart again, where is a good parts place in case I need the boots

loads on ebay

drewps