DT125 R performance issues, please help!

mike_dt125r
This post is 5197 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have recently bought a Dt125 R 2001 2 stroke, which I am having trouble with. When I bought the bike it was in a pretty poor condition but the engine seemed to run ok. I have been running the bike daily and it had really poor acceleration and bottoms out at 55 mph

I have checked the air filter, changed the oil, clutch plate and cable and also fitted the correct spark plug (as some fool was using the wrong one). Also changed the oil settings, as it was really drinking oil and checked the boost valve settings.

The bike seems to run better and is quicker, but I still don't think its as quick as it should be and still bottoming out at less than 60mph

A friend of mine seems to think that it might be oil in the exhaust system from poor oil settings and also it might need de-chocking but i have no idea how to do this? Any suggestions on what to use?

The bike seems to do about 100 miles on a full tank? is this right?

Also I have noticed, if I have the full beam on and I break I practically loose my main beam! Is this normal? I figure its the battery which needs replacing, Could the 2 issues be related?

Any suggestions would be great! Am going out of my mind! lol

• 5 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have recently bought a Dt125 R 2001 2 stroke, which I am having trouble with. When I bought the bike it was in a pretty poor condition but the engine seemed to run ok. I have been running the bike daily and it had really poor acceleration and bottoms out at 55 mph

I have checked the air filter, changed the oil, clutch plate and cable and also fitted the correct spark plug (as some fool was using the wrong one). Also changed the oil settings, as it was really drinking oil and checked the boost valve settings.

The bike seems to run better and is quicker, but I still don't think its as quick as it should be and still bottoming out at less than 60mph

A friend of mine seems to think that it might be oil in the exhaust system from poor oil settings and also it might need de-chocking but i have no idea how to do this? Any suggestions on what to use?

The bike seems to do about 100 miles on a full tank? is this right?

Also I have noticed, if I have the full beam on and I break I practically loose my main beam! Is this normal? I figure its the battery which needs replacing, Could the 2 issues be related?

Any suggestions would be great! Am going out of my mind! lol

Hey!! I've got a DT125 and the 100 miles to a tank is about right but the performance is definately off! I can get about 75-80mph out of mine and even just past 80 if it's a good wind and maybe a bit of downhill. I'd definately try a new exhaust cus it could just be full of crap from the over oil usage. You say you use it daily, but how far do you go? If you gave it a good long run for a few hours that could be a good help to get rid of alot of the clogged up crap in the engine. Also get some Full engine cleaner for it. You put it in the tank with the petrol and it costs about £15 from Halfords. Keep Trying Dude.

If you are losing the headlight when you brake your battery or the charging circuit is having problems, bad battery will play havoc with the powervalve, and you are probably right a decoke sounds like a good idea but its a spanner job. Any number of pots of crap from halfrauds wont clear the carbon from the motor.