Fuel Petcock

dt250Man
This post is 5379 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

harm? not at all. extra and perhaps unnecessary work? possibly. just remember to turn it to off when the bike sits for a period of time. my vac one hasn't bothered me at all. did take some getting used to when removing the tank because the stock vac line was very short. new carb boots and vac lines about 2 months ago solved that problem.

what exactly is wrong with it?

I think i just need a new one. I get a steady stream of fuel with it in the on or res spot. I tore it down i everything looked good but it still drips gas. The only thing i can see wrong with it is the oring on the vacum side is kinda tore up.

I think i just need a new one. I get a steady stream of fuel with it in the on or res spot. I tore it down i everything looked good but it still drips gas. The only thing i can see wrong with it is the oring on the vacum side is kinda tore up.

Here is a repair kit

harm? not at all. extra and perhaps unnecessary work? possibly. just remember to turn it to off when the bike sits for a period of time. my vac one hasn't bothered me at all. did take some getting used to when removing the tank because the stock vac line was very short. new carb boots and vac lines about 2 months ago solved that problem.

what exactly is wrong with it?

They were developed to prevent hydraulic lock incidents and wrecked engines...unlikely I know but they stop the unlikely

FuelTaps-13.jpg

like i said before, with proper operating techniques such as turning the fuel valve to the off position when not riding the bike (just as all MSF instructors teach) there is no harm to having a manual petcock. I do agree, the danger is when people forget to turn that valve after riding the bike so it is much easier to just have the vac petcock and thus the peace of mind.

the pet cocks are easy enough to repair as you get all the gaskets etc and you keep the originality of the bike if its well looked after!

I would def need mine as I forget to take my keys out of the ignition never mind switching off the petrol!!