1995 FZR600R (4JH)

Kawasakifreak
This post is 711 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Cams set in photo with no 1 cylinder on tdc compression - are the cam positions correct for the FZR600R 4JH ?

The cam bearings each have unique patterns of locating dowels which only seem to fit one way.

The exhaust cam bearing timing marker is @ the twelve o'clock position to line up with the timing marker on the exhaust cam.

The inlet cam bearing timing marker is @ the one o'clock position to line up with the timing marker on the inlet cam.

The Haynes manual states both timing markers should position @ 12 o'clock with both cams but the engine jams when I try this whilst manually turning the crank !!

The Haynes manual photos appear to relate to a different engine (possibly the 1989 - 93 FZR600 or YZF750R) ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated ?

Kawasakifreak

th_1995FZR600R-camtiming.jpg

• 11 years later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

This post was ages ago but in case it's of use to anyone, the Haynes manual (besides being for FZR750s and FZR1000s) is for the 3HE (UK) (3HH USA) FZR600 and not the 4JH (UK only I think) FZR600R models from 1994 and 1995. There is no Haynes manual for the 4JH - I asked them. I did find the manual very useful for my 1994 4JH resto as a general guide as it is a development of the 3HE. But the models differ in some detail areas including this cam timing marks question. On the 4JH the inlet timing marks are, as per the OP, at about 1 o'clock not 12 o'clock. The exhaust marks are as per the 3HE, at 12 o'clock.

The YZF600R (Thundercat, 4TV etc) 1996 onwards (in UK, 1995 in US and other Europe, as 4NA) engine is probably closer to the FZR600R than the 3HE series and there is a Haynes manual for that bike. The YZF750R is completely different, as is the YZF-R6 (no surprises!)

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

I have the FZR600 3HE About to restore mine as it has been in garage for over 11 years. Time to get it back to some decent riding state.

Have broken off the exhaust studs like Karl Bentley did back in 2011. Anyone know how he finished his bike.

Could do with the advice on carb refurbing as mine seems to be leaking petrol from the offside carb, so wmaybe needs stripping and cleaning. May need gasket set to do it. Not sure best place for parts for Old Yams

Paul C

FZR600 Complete Rebuild

By karlbentley,
February 14, 2011 in The Bar

Start a clean thread of your own, much better and people will be more likely to see it.

Good luck with it.

• Cynic locked this topic
This post is 711 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.