XT's on Tour!

Pete
This post is 6752 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

660R

BHP - 48

Torque - 53 ft lbs (that's 20% more than an R6)

MPG - 70 - 75

Weight - 165 kilos wet not dry.

So it has adequate power for a top speed of around 95-100mph. Very good torque for good acceleration. Is very economical and its 15 litre tank gives a range of well over 200 miles. And you can wheel it around without getting a hernia.

to be fair for that size engine you would expect alot more and you would be screwed if you dropped it coz it would be damn heavy to pick back up hehe :lol: do you reckon the insurance would be cheap for a 17 year old jus passed his bike test?? (well is goin to pass his test hopefully very soon)

They're group 10, so insurance shouldn't be too much. You're right about the weight, they are for gentle off roading only. The TT600 is lighter and would be better off road. The 48bhp power output is actually quite reasonable for a single cylinder, but remember that the sensation of power is provided by torque(grunt), which in the case of the XT is high for this size of engine. All the Supersport 600s, the V-Strom, 600 Fazer etc have lower torque outputs.

The beauty of these bikes lies in their easy going, do anything nature. If you want fire breathing power and torque, you need 1000cc+

I would say this though: Ride anything and then ride an XT and you WILL prefer riding the XT. For a youngster, though, its lack of street cred could be an issue. One of my daughter's boyfriends has a CBR600 and he wouldn't be seen dead on an XT.

to be fair for that size engine you would expect alot more and you would be screwed if you dropped it coz it would be damn heavy to pick back up hehe

Why would you expect more from that size engine? It's not designed to be a sportsbike.

And dropping it? It's me and Alan you're talking about here...don't happen in our world mate. 8)

haha you too neva come off them then?? nah wot i thought is they like big and mighty and look really nice to be fair, but only got 48bhp. However i didnt realise that they are only single cylinder and now i can realise that speed quite good. Also it wudnt bother me bout me street cred on one of those because i ride a hairdryer at the min so its got to be an improvement hehehe :lol:

would you suggest me jumping from a 50cc to one of them,

Your MX experience does stand you in good stead...I always reckon that offroad stuff improves your abilities and machine skills.

It's only 48-50bhp so it's not fast, but it is a big weight increase to what you're used to. I'd try and ride as many bikes as you can and see what suits you....you need to be reasonably tall for one though. That's not to say that a shorter person can't ride one, it's just that it helps if you are around the 6' mark.

The 660 is very comfy. Bike described it as "cross country, all day comfortable". The seat is supportive and the sitting position is relaxed. The physical effort needed to ride mine is less than any other bike I have ever owned. This is my 27th bike and I have ridded loads of others. The only issue is wind, which will be a problem on any naked machine. Yamaha do 2 heights of aftermarket screen for the "tourist" market.

• 1 year later...

hey guys. I'm really keen to get an XT660R...I'm currently riding a SRX400, it's a nice cheap to run single. however, the company I'm working for has relocated so my 28km (one-way commute) has been doubled!!! I'm looking for a nice commuter bike that will give me the option of going offroad on the weekends... (i live in south africa...we've got loads of offroad!!!)

You guys seem to be really enthusiastic about ur XT's, would you recommend it for my purposes? is the seat "bum" (arse...not hobo ;) )-friendly for a 40min commute 2X a day??

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online